German Shepherds Forum banner

Kira hasn't been around dogs at all. What to expect?

2K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  blackshep 
#1 ·
About 10 weeks ago, I decided that Kira doesnt need to be around other dogs. She's prone to bringing out the aggression in other dogs, and that's that. I've had to accept it, and make it my business to find other ways to wear her out. So far, it's been easier than I thought.

My only concern is that I've put in a great deal of effort to socialize her throughout puppyhood. I made it my business to be around other people and dogs, whether in a Petco or a pre planned playdate with a young, friendly dog.
I haven't made any time for playmates, and Kira hasn't been anywhere near another dog, other that a chance encounter my wife had with a neighbor's dog.

I'm perfectly content with my solo time with her.

Should I see any long term changes in her behavior because of the abrupt removal of dogs in her life?

I ask this because she gotten very "vocal" if she sees another dog while in my truck. She puffs up, growls, goes bonkers. I correct it, and she stops, but the excitement level is apparent.
She's never acted this way to larger dogs before. Only cats and small wild animals.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

See less See more
#2 ·
So she hasn't even had to walk past other dogs on walks? Or see them across the park? I understand not wanting them to play or interact as my girls are not trustworthy with other dogs but have you been keeping her from even seeing them in the past 10 weeks? This, I would think, would not be a good thing. I only say this because I know with my girl, the less she sees other dogs the extreme her reaction can be when we do come across other dogs. So we make a point to not avoid other dogs on walks, take her to group training classes, and not make a big deal out of other dogs being around. This doesn't mean that she interacts with them, she doesn't, but it has helped a ton in her accepting other dogs in our proximity. Unless you have a true liability to society, and still plan to live in society with your dog, I don't really agree with completely removing any aspect of your day to day life.

I don't see any reason that you shouldn't have Kira around other dogs still, that doesn't mean she needs to play with them, but it might help head off the reactive behavior you're starting to see. Keep in mind this is only coming from my personal experience, not any sort of crazy training expertise :)

#3 ·
I couldn't even fathom a guess as to whether this would leave a long term effect on her.

Masi doesn't interact with 'strange' dogs, and we go weeks sometimes without seeing another dog, when she does, it's no big deal, as long as they don't 'bug' her, she could care less, so I would say, Masi doesn't miss seeing dogs doesn't seem to make a difference to her

#4 ·
Brooke,
My options around here are rather limited.. I either throw her to the dog park, or avoid the areas all together.
The " incidents" I've had all revolve around loose dogs in the local parks, not necessarily a dog park. She's been attacked a few times, and I don't want to subject her to that anymore.

I haven't seen any dogs on walks, or had the chance to watch dogs in the dog parks. The only park here is not fenced in, and that's why Kira got attacked. We would walk near the area, and Kira would attract the negative attention.
I chose to go there after hours, and let her fetch, play frisbee, and go through whatever training we do.

#5 ·
Oh I gotcha... I knew she had some negative experiences with other dogs but always assumed this was at a dog park. In our area we see other dogs walking down the street or on hiking trails so it's not as difficult to have neutral experiences with other dogs. Are there any group training classes you could get her into? Or any stores that you know other dogs would be leashed?

I just know that with Sasha it's been a long fight to get her back to being neutral to other dogs because my boyfriend was too scared to even let her see another dog while they were living at his parents house (she can be pretty reactive). When we moved into our current place it was like starting over at square one because she hadn't even viewed another dog for a few months :( She would do the same thing you're describing with Kira, the puffing up and flipping out routine. It all related back to underlying fear which may be what you're going through with Kira.

#6 ·
A guy who lives next to the sports fields moved in recently with his 3 year old, unaltered, at least 90lb male GSD. Prior to, he had been living on a farm, the dog had the run of acres of farmland, he said he's been to classes, and the dog was limited in where he would go.

I don't like that dog, he is a beauty, but a real jerk. He is obviously under socialized, domineering, and easily provoked by anything, We have met numerous times, and every time, his dog begins and ends up aggressively behaving towards mine, pinning, growling, barking, lunging. Take what you will from this, but I have a hunch it is because he did not have the positive exposure and socialization that is important for all dogs.

#8 ·
Jae,
Kira has had a mixed bag of positive and negative experiences. Regardless, she's a people and dog friendly sweetheart. She never shows aggression, and is super friendly. If anything, she's on the timid side. I would NEVER expect her to bite anyone, or attack another dog.
As many around here recall, I made it my business to socialize her as much as possible. Her temperament is wonderful. It's the other dogs that always go after her.

#7 ·
She's fine on leash, or if she's sitting outside with me.
Today, I was washing my truck. She was sitting on my front steps, when a Maltese walked by. She just sat there and watched as they passed. I was proud of her.
If she was in the house, she'd bark through the window. If she was in the truck, she'd bark too.

I don't see a problem, because she responds well to me telling her to stop. I can easily correct this behavior, and I am.
I'm just wondering if the isolation from other dogs, could have a negative impact on her socialization.

#9 ·
You have two dogs right? I'm thinking that since she is around a second dog all the time, she should be fine and use to dogs. I got a Rott for my mom and she was with me for about a week before my mom took her. The dog loved my dogs and was really close to one of them. After my mom had her for two weeks, with no interaction with any other dogs, the Rott growled, barked, and attacked(through a front door) my dog..that she adored two weeks earlier. I think that the alone time she had, all of the attention of being the only dog really changed her.

#12 ·
Why NOT join a shutzhund group or other dogsport where dog interactions are typically held to appropriate interactions at a distance and not nose to nose, butt to butt?

Socializing does not need to be one on one but a maintenance of indifference in the presence of other dogs. I imagine doing something fun "around" other dogs where you can be confident they owners have a clue would do her a world of good (and you would probably enjoy as well)

How are things going up there recovery wise?

#15 ·
I have a member here that goes to a shutzhund club. It's about an hour from my home, and sounds like a great experience for her. The problem is ME. I'm working 6 days a week right now, and feel as if I can't commit

who attacked her? how old is she
She was attacked by a few dogs a few months ago. It was random, as I entered an area with a few loose dogs. They quickly converged on her, and gave her a couple punctures.

I think it depends on the dog. :)
If Kira is comfortable around other dogs she should be able to go a very long time and not have a problem when she does see them. (like at the vets office) If she has issues you can probably expect her to react a little more strongly if she goes long periods without you being able to reinforce the things you've taught her.

I don't think dogs miss playing with other dogs btw. I really believe they look at the people they live with as their pack and that's all they need to be happy.
Kira is very comfortable around dogs. However, I can see the "flight response" kick in when she's around aggressive dogs. She knows who to avoid.

She can sit in a room of dogs, or go through her training without incident.

As I mentioned, the only change I see in her, is how excited she gets when she sees another dog from within my truck or house.
I don't see Kira's actions as aggressive. It just seems as if she gets too excited, and I was wondering if it has anything to do with losing her contact with the outside canine world.

#14 ·
I think it depends on the dog. :)
If Kira is comfortable around other dogs she should be able to go a very long time and not have a problem when she does see them. (like at the vets office) If she has issues you can probably expect her to react a little more strongly if she goes long periods without you being able to reinforce the things you've taught her.

I don't think dogs miss playing with other dogs btw. I really believe they look at the people they live with as their pack and that's all they need to be happy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.