Kira hasn't been around dogs at all. What to expect? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2012, 08:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony8858 View Post
Yes, we also have the Maltese. They coexist, but don't play together. They do interact.

I guess that's her "pack".

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
That might be enough for her stay not reactive. She lives with another dog, so in her mind that is normal and its normal to see other dogs. I firmly believe that is why all three of mine are great with other dogs. They have each other, they don't need any other dogs, but if I bring one home, they all acknowledge and take the new addition in.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 08:41 PM   #12 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Why NOT join a shutzhund group or other dogsport where dog interactions are typically held to appropriate interactions at a distance and not nose to nose, butt to butt?

Socializing does not need to be one on one but a maintenance of indifference in the presence of other dogs. I imagine doing something fun "around" other dogs where you can be confident they owners have a clue would do her a world of good (and you would probably enjoy as well)

How are things going up there recovery wise?

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 09:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
Elite Member

who attacked her? how old is she

Last edited by pets4life; 11-11-2012 at 09:07 PM.
pets4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 09:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I think it depends on the dog.
If Kira is comfortable around other dogs she should be able to go a very long time and not have a problem when she does see them. (like at the vets office) If she has issues you can probably expect her to react a little more strongly if she goes long periods without you being able to reinforce the things you've taught her.

I don't think dogs miss playing with other dogs btw. I really believe they look at the people they live with as their pack and that's all they need to be happy.
Whiteshepherds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 09:49 PM   #15 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
Why NOT join a shutzhund group or other dogsport where dog interactions are typically held to appropriate interactions at a distance and not nose to nose, butt to butt?

Socializing does not need to be one on one but a maintenance of indifference in the presence of other dogs. I imagine doing something fun "around" other dogs where you can be confident they owners have a clue would do her a world of good (and you would probably enjoy as well)

I have a member here that goes to a shutzhund club. It's about an hour from my home, and sounds like a great experience for her. The problem is ME. I'm working 6 days a week right now, and feel as if I can't commit

Quote:
Originally Posted by pets4life View Post
who attacked her? how old is she
She was attacked by a few dogs a few months ago. It was random, as I entered an area with a few loose dogs. They quickly converged on her, and gave her a couple punctures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteshepherds View Post
I think it depends on the dog.
If Kira is comfortable around other dogs she should be able to go a very long time and not have a problem when she does see them. (like at the vets office) If she has issues you can probably expect her to react a little more strongly if she goes long periods without you being able to reinforce the things you've taught her.

I don't think dogs miss playing with other dogs btw. I really believe they look at the people they live with as their pack and that's all they need to be happy.
Kira is very comfortable around dogs. However, I can see the "flight response" kick in when she's around aggressive dogs. She knows who to avoid.

She can sit in a room of dogs, or go through her training without incident.

As I mentioned, the only change I see in her, is how excited she gets when she sees another dog from within my truck or house.
I don't see Kira's actions as aggressive. It just seems as if she gets too excited, and I was wondering if it has anything to do with losing her contact with the outside canine world.
Anthony8858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 04:34 PM   #16 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post

I love taking my pup to schutzhund clubs for exactly this reason. I like that they have dogs with similar temperaments and so want the same things I want, which is that the dog will simply ignore the others. Thier dogs are generally very well mannered and leashed or crated when not working, so it's easier to keep the distractions down to a minimum while the dog gets used to the presence of the other dogs there.
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.