Separation Anxiety - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2012, 09:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Separation Anxiety

Hey y'all, I hope this is the best place for this, if not, I apologize.

I had two GSDs, father-daughter. The daughter(Masie) took to me more than my ex-wife and the father really never bonded with me. I am in the Army Reserves and left for a year when Masie was still young...born in Dec '10...I left in Mar '11...so 3 months. When I got back a year later, she still took to me better. This is all valid hang with me. She wasn't trained well by the ex-wife who was more interested in other men than staying at home and raising them. Once we got a divorce she took the father and I still have Masie. When I got back it was just us three, the father Masie and I. When I would go to work and come home Masie would be excited but nothing insane. Since my ex-wife took the father and I leave for work she goes absolutely ape-poo when I get home.

I live with my parents so it isn't like she's alone all day and she's got my cat to play with, however, I have to leave for a few days to weeks at a time for work and if I don't stay at my house for one night and come home the next day she loses her mind. My mother tells me when I'm not home and she hears a loud vehicle like my Jeep go by the house she gets all excited and starts waiting at the door for me, sweet but once I do get in the door she jumps and whines and like I said loses her mind.

What can I do to nip this behavior, because I'm about to move out and she'll be at home all day with just the cat.

If you need any more info just ask.
Magua Savage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2012, 12:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Are you sure it's separation anxiety? Sounds like she's just excited to see you and I'm sure she misses not having her father around to. I thought SA would be excessive whining, barking or perhaps destructive behavior.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 12:55 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default Pretty sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
Are you sure it's separation anxiety? Sounds like she's just excited to see you and I'm sure she misses not having her father around to. I thought SA would be excessive whining, barking or perhaps destructive behavior.
Pretty sure. She does bark and whine a lot, whines and groans more than bark. Not destructive at all, won't even eat a rawhide bone. But I think it is because if I just go to work and come back that night no matter how long I'm out as long as I sleep in my bed, she's fine. But if I spend at least one night away she goes crazy when I get home. While I'm gone she whines and paces about 60% of the day, or so says my mom.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

It might be separation anxiety but to me it just sounds like she is bored. If your mom could walk her while you are away, it would relieve her boredom and help her relax more.

When my girl had separation anxiety, she barked, howled, and destroyed everything in sight.

My girl still paces even when I am home, if she doesn't get enough exercise and mental stimulation. I play with her plenty, but she also does better if we do at the very least, some basic OB stuff every day. They thrive on having a job and yours sounds like she needs one to feel content.

Zisso is my heart~Nadia is my Love~My kitties bring me everything in between~Together they bring me Joy!

Last edited by Zisso; 11-10-2012 at 07:57 AM.
Zisso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 05:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

Right on. I'll start her on a training schedule and I'll see what happens next time I leave.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.