Ugh...recall failure - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2012, 09:36 AM   #11 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Not sure if you said his name or not during the "no" "come" part...looks like you might've in between the words but I've noticed that saying their name greatly increases the chance they will listen.

I train in a club setting...we do a lot of more advanced stuff in groups. So like a team drop/recall and things of that nature when 5+ dogs are waiting to be recalled one at a time to their owners. The dogs are taught to only listen to their owners, but sometimes they're distracted or just don't realize that their owner is giving the command. AKC allows you to always say their name before giving a command so why not just say the name, right? I've noticed that when I'm out and about, if I say "Rooney" he'll turn and look at me, then I can give a command and he will respond. If I just say a command (which is just a word) I might get ignored because that word might just be getting used in conversation and the dog might not understand that its meant for him.

Now...I get it, its just you and your dog so anything you scream/say should be understood to be towards your dog but I don't know if dogs really think that way, especially in moments like yours where there is that large of a distraction. But its just something to work on, always say his name first before giving a command.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 10:07 AM   #12 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martemchik View Post
Not sure if you said his name or not during the "no" "come" part...looks like you might've in between the words but I've noticed that saying their name greatly increases the chance they will listen.

I train in a club setting...we do a lot of more advanced stuff in groups. So like a team drop/recall and things of that nature when 5+ dogs are waiting to be recalled one at a time to their owners. The dogs are taught to only listen to their owners, but sometimes they're distracted or just don't realize that their owner is giving the command. AKC allows you to always say their name before giving a command so why not just say the name, right? I've noticed that when I'm out and about, if I say "Rooney" he'll turn and look at me, then I can give a command and he will respond. If I just say a command (which is just a word) I might get ignored because that word might just be getting used in conversation and the dog might not understand that its meant for him.

Now...I get it, its just you and your dog so anything you scream/say should be understood to be towards your dog but I don't know if dogs really think that way, especially in moments like yours where there is that large of a distraction. But its just something to work on, always say his name first before giving a command.
Really good point!!! Now that you mention it, Kaiser will look at me if I say his name...but I don't think it's a consistent thing since I never actually trained him to do that. The focus work we do is praising a behavior he provides on his own (can't remember what it's called...but this is how my trainer wants me to do it).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jsnail17/
Kaiser2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 10:25 AM   #13 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser2012 View Post
Really good point!!! Now that you mention it, Kaiser will look at me if I say his name...but I don't think it's a consistent thing since I never actually trained him to do that. The focus work we do is praising a behavior he provides on his own (can't remember what it's called...but this is how my trainer wants me to do it).
Well most people only require really intense focus while in heel or while you're working with hand signals. The dog most likely knows that you're in "work" mode. But in a situation like you described I don't expect a dog to focus on you at all times. If it did...there would be no point in taking him out as he just wants to be with you either way. I don't train my dog to be a robot, but when we're working I get very good focus. Once in a while when practicing recalls, a distraction pops up and he looks at it (he is very very watchful, has to know everything that is going on), and if I just say "front" he might miss it, or not realize its coming from me. But when I say "Rooney, front" he'll come every time.

I get what your trainer is trying to teach, and my method is a little different (I don't require that much focus at all times). And depending on your goals (trialing or just pet) its just something to think about. If you're allowed to say their name, why not say it? You can expect all the focus you want, and he might be great, then that one time he looks away in the ring and ignores you because you didn't say his name.

Although, I am also working on focus all the time as well...can't say their name in utility! But I've noticed the more I get into it the more I get. Not something I have to force, it just comes naturally with age and maturity and probably the fact that we train so much.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 11:55 AM   #14 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeva View Post
Yes. Now can I have him pwease

I'd have done the same thing... it's just a reaction! In fact, I just stuck my foot in my mouth the other day with that in the back yard. Grim has been pretty good about coming to me even when playing with the Pug, but they had a plastic bottle out there (don't know why) and I said it anyway... KNOWING that was probably too much for him to leave. It was.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:54 PM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser2012 View Post
I like that idea. What word do you use? And what treats? Kaiser is ultra sensitive to most treats so I use his kibble for everything. I'm transitioning to the ball for obedience but still use treats ie kibble while inn public
I use giddy up...I trained with boiled chicken and hamburger. Practice it 10 times a day and five times each session. You say your word, they look, you treat. They get it after a couple times and it does work. It should be a word that isn't used for anything else EVER.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC
Brennan- Golden Retriever

"A dog is the only thing on this earth that loves you
more than he loves himself."
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 03:32 PM   #16 (permalink)
Elite Member

The trainer at obedience class said we should choose a word, other that "come" that means GET YOUR BUTT HERE RIGHT NOW!!! I use "quick". The trainer wants us to do it several times a day and treat and praise to high heaven when Stella comes. I have not worked on this as much as I should. I was busy dealing with reactivity, which I am happy to say is working. A great recall is my next project.
katdog5911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 05:30 AM   #17 (permalink)
Elite Member

Hey thanks so much everyone for the confidence booster! I had a busy day yesterday so I wasn't able to respond to everyones posts.

On a postive note, yesterday afternoon proved to ease my stress a little bit as well. I had Kaiser out doing a little OB but mostly just letting him play with the Jolly Egg (he doesn't get it often at all because of his teeth). A mother and 4 kids she carpools pulled into the lot next to the small grassy area that Kaiser and I were in. The kids love Kaiser, so I put the egg up in the truck parked across the lot then returned with a few treats to let Kaiser play with the kids.

Because he gets obsessive about some toys (ie, the frisbee and the egg) Kaiser first started doing his searching thing where he was nose to ground pacing trying to find the egg. He then remembered that I put it into the car so he started to run off into the street toward the vehicle. I yelled Kaiser, no...then COME. And halleluliah he turned around and came. I gave him a treat (lamb lung) and then he finally started to chase and play with the kids. He tried to go over to the truck 5 more times and each time he listened when I called him. He also got a bit of lamb lung. After that I had to take him inside because too much lamb lung hurts his tummy. At any rate, even though I haven't had time to get a long line yet, I was pleased with his response yesterday. Baby steps is my normal saying. I'm just glad I didn't get the middle finger again like I did yesterday morning!

Oh, as far as long lines go...just a basic black nylon lead?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jsnail17/
Kaiser2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 06:03 AM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

work on "come" usuing whatever word you want for that
action. short distances in the begining. slowly add in distractions.
maybe your dog only needs the distraction work.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 06:37 AM   #19 (permalink)
dOg
Elite Member

Still alot of pup in a 40 week old, not ruined, just presenting a challenge to your training, and reminding you perfection is elusive. You likely sounded very different than normal as well. He didn't want the fun to stop, and made a decision to fix it. Forgive him, yourself, and work on it in more places, with more distractions until solid. Solid in your house and yard is not the same as solid everywhere.
dOg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 09:37 AM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
In one of my classes we were taught to come up with a word that would be for emergency recall.
We were taught the same thing. I use 'Nein! Nein! Dog!" Although more than a word (and entire phase) all my dogs know that I mean serious business. It's applied when there is a total reaction from me, as well. I use voice, body language and a correction (if on a long line) all at the same time.

"Nein! Nein! Dog!" to my dogs means to stop their reaction (chasing a horse, running after a dog in the street, etc.) and when that reaction has stopped, I'll say, "Come!" As soon as the focus on what ever they are doing is broken, I'll give the 'come' command.

I never use it for normal ill behavior, like sticking thier nose on the counter and things like that. I only use it when I know I've lost my dog's attention and need to get it back quickly due to a dangerous situation.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.