my bad - need advice - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2012, 07:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
x11
Banned

Default my bad - need advice

so a lady up the street has got a real nice GSD pup, she has started walking her new pup every morning straight past my house.

my mutt pet is not used to seeing other dogs walking by my real long front fence as it is a rural road - my mutt who has the run of the whole property charges her pup and shows a lot of aggression from behind a secure fence. this upsets the pup and will cause conflict with the handler and pup - some could say this is what the pup has to learn to deal with in the real world.

i know my dog is the problem but it is doing nothing illegal it is barking at another dog from behind a secure fence on its own property.

i am not going to lock my dog up and if i am at the same end of the property i can call her off but she will have charged down the pup before i am aware he is there.

any suggestions on how not to get the pup harrassed but not punish my dog for doing something i kinda got her for in the first place - eg alert dog and keep other dogs away sort of?

there is a ditch between the road and the fence so my dog physically cant get closer than say 8 meters, so its not a fence fight per se. if my dog got out she would absolutely try and kill the pup as she is dog aggressive, this is a different scenario tho and unlikely as i have a good fence which is well monitored and maintained and has a hot top and bottom wire spanned by dog mesh and an extra steel bottom wire to prevent digging in case the electrcity should go down which is unlikely as it is off the grid.

advice appreciatted.

Last edited by x11; 11-07-2012 at 07:14 PM.
x11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2012, 07:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Yes, the pup will have to get used to it. However, I find it annoying when people have fences in front of their property and allow their dogs to do this. If the pup is young, it can cause problems as most young pups are just learning socialization and have some fear tendencies in them. If you can't or won't keep your dog from doing this, I'd suggest the handler keep distance between your fence and the pup... like on the other side of the road. When the dog is older, then it shouldn't have the same reaction. Hate to be rude, but a dog shouldn't be alerting because someone walked by your property. Our older mutt and my Pug do this, and it annoys me. My shepherd will simply watch. Now if you start approaching the fence, you'll likely get a different reaction from him. However, someone just walking past isn't a threat.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I agree with Jag. Some areas are also trying to pass "Dangerous Animals Acts." Your dog would be categorized under these laws for charging the fence (not trying to be rude or mean, I'm just being honest).
Dakoda will usually watch with her head tilted to one side curiously. If she knows the dog, she will bark once pretty much to say "hey!" After that she continues whatever she was doing.
If they come in the yard, that's totally different (unless she knows them or they have friendly body language).
Old 11-07-2012, 07:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GsdLoverr729 View Post
I agree with Jag. Some areas are also trying to pass "Dangerous Animals Acts." Your dog would be categorized under these laws for charging the fence (not trying to be rude or mean, I'm just being honest).
Dakoda will usually watch with her head tilted to one side curiously. If she knows the dog, she will bark once pretty much to say "hey!" After that she continues whatever she was doing.
If they come in the yard, that's totally different (unless she knows them or they have friendly body language).
Quick question, where did you read that the Dangerous Animal Act would include any kind of domesticated dog? Where I'm at almost every wild animal, including fish are in this act, but not dogs. Again I'm just curious.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 07:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Someone had posted a link to an article on Facebook, where certain areas are trying to extend it to domesticated animals. I'll try to find it... It was a while back though. Published on Yahoo! news.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

While it is your property, you are likely to run into some liability. Frankly it is not good to let your dog aggress toward non-threatening people using a public thoroughfare. The right dog-walking individual might slip when startled by your aggressive dog, and injure herself on the walk in front of your house, and the right lawyer might now win a suit against you, but you might need to pay a lawyer of your own by the hour to protect yourself.

But barking at passersby is not only annoying to the person and dog barked at, and possibly a liability to yourself, it is a self-rewarding behavior your dog is engaging in, and it will increase and increase, and hopefully he will never manage to get loose, go over or under the fence.

My advice would be to train the dog to stay in the back yard. Use an e-fence if necessary. Nothing wrong with having a bit of lawn in front that the dog cant go on. Your neighbors will appreciate it, and your dog will be perfectly happy in the back yard.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 07:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
x11
Banned

yes i don't feel good the pup is being harrassed and getting bad associations or to spin it another way it might just be getting desensitised and gaining trust in it's leader???? some trainers would see this as a training experience but not so much in a puppy.

the easiest solution was to avoid the problem and lock my dog up for 15 minutes while the person went for their walk but their times change often.

yr not being rude i acknowledge how annoying this could be - i in fact face the problem all the time walking thru the burbs and don't moan about it, just trying to try do something for the pup owner who incidentally has not complained about the situation but i see the fear in the pup and don't want to be the cause so i am trying to fix it.

as i said a rural road and my dogs are both purchased for their genetic territorial aggression - seems a bit unfair if i all of a sudden change the rules, and i DO NOT believe a dog is smart enough to know friend from foe.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

a dog is as smart as it's owners training.

[QUOTE=x11;2624070]yes i don't feel good the pup is being harrassed and getting bad associations or to spin it another way it might just be getting desensitised and gaining trust in it's leader???? some trainers would see this as a training experience but not so much in a puppy.

the easiest solution was to avoid the problem and lock my dog up for 15 minutes while the person went for their walk but their times change often.

yr not being rude i acknowledge how annoying this could be - i in fact face the problem all the time walking thru the burbs and don't moan about it, just trying to try do something for the pup owner who incidentally has not complained about the situation but i see the fear in the pup and don't want to be the cause so i am trying to fix it.

>>>>> as i said a rural road and my dogs are both purchased for their genetic territorial aggression - seems a bit unfair if i all of a sudden change the rules, and i DO NOT believe a dog is smart enough to know friend from foe.<<<<<[/QUOTE]
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 07:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
x11
Banned

[QUOTE=selzer;2624057]

The right dog-walking individual might slip when startled by your aggressive dog, and injure herself on the walk in front of your house, and the right lawyer might now win a suit against you, but you might need to pay a lawyer of your own by the hour to protect yourself.

that is so disgustingly modern.......but true

QUOTE]

thanks for other tips, i like the train of thought. interestingly my dogs are free to sleep inside or out the house as the door is left open - they are the least vocal dogs around - i do not have a general barking problem, other neighbours have but i strangely don't???
Old 11-07-2012, 07:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Dakoda is very territorial. I TRAINED her not to charge the fence, or dogs just walking by. She is not allowed to bark, charge, growl or tense up. She IS allowed to react when they ENTER our yard without my or Matt's permission.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.