Terrified of everything - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2012, 12:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Terrified of everything

I'm new to this site, so if this is the wrong place, I'm sorry ahead of time.

I adopted my pup from a family about three weeks ago (she's about 10 months old). For the first week or so, I expected some peeing in the house because she was making a big change and I knew there would be a lot of anxiety, so I tried to just keep her as comfortable as possible and made her a safe haven in our kitchen with pillows and toys. I noticed though that she does the submissive peeing a LOT and it's been a long time since I've had a dog that does that.

I tried to do with her what I did with my golden retriever when it came to submissive peeing which was get down to her level and basically try to build her confidence a bit by being reassuring and petting her chest, not the top of her head, look at the face but not eye contact, etc. What's striking me as really odd is that she won't let me get down to her level! If I get down so that I'm just below her eyes, she lays down. I've NEVER seen such submissive behavior.

She's such a sweet girl, I almost feel guilty when I try to get to her level lol

Admittedly, she's my first German Shepherd, so I don't know if this is normal for them, but I was wondering if anyone could help me out with building her confidence even more. She pees on the floor even when someone comes near her to pet her. It makes me feel so bad because I automatically run all sorts of scenarios for why she's doing this through my mind

Thanks in advance.
Miasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2012, 12:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Great info here about submissive urination.
Can We Help You Keep Your Pet? Submissive Urination

You'll need to just ignore her completely. When you get down there she probably thinks you're going to scold or hit her.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 01:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Poor girl I would never lay a hand on her. She's such a good dog! I wonder if the people who had her before me were mean to her because she had some untreated (though mild) medical issues when we got her, too.

Thank you for the link, I guess Mia and I have some more work to do
Old 11-07-2012, 01:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Yes, go through the links there, you'll figure out how to get her past it
Old 11-07-2012, 01:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Yes, ignore her completely. No eye contact, drop treats when you walk by. I know it's hard because you want to engage her and reassure her, but ignoring works.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 01:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

Ugh! If only she didn't have those big, sad eyes. I gotta be a strong mama, we can do this! lol Thank you for your help This is going to be just as hard on me as it is her, I think lol
Old 11-07-2012, 02:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

When you get down there she probably thinks you're going to scold or hit her. .... OR ... on the other side of the coin, when you get down there to PET her / reassure her, you're actually reinforcing the state of mind that she is currently in (submissive / meek) and telling her that you like that ... so she's going to keep doing it!

Ignore her - it won't stop overnight, but at least you won't be reinforcing it!
Old 11-08-2012, 09:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Ignoring and tossing treats is a good idea. From a more sciencey point of view, you really don't reinforce fear so you COULD pet her - but in this case it won't help because the petting and contact are the things that she, right at that moment, is nervous about.

You Can’t Reinforce Fear; Dogs and Thunderstorms TheOtherEndoftheLeash

reinforcing fear in dogs TheOtherEndoftheLeash

This group is really helpful: shy-k9s : shy-k9s

Let us know how it goes.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

When we get dogs like this in rescue, we often kneel down facing away from the dog.
They often feel safer approaching your turned back, and you can build the bond that way.
I wanted to say, you don't ignore her all the time. But ignore when she's being ultra submissive, and only reward when she's on her feet again and has regained composure.
And then, praise has to be low-key and quiet, murmuring almost - "what a GOOD girl!" and treats. Find something irresistible for her
Old 11-08-2012, 02:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I was also told, don't approach directly from in front (confrontational) or behind (makes them nervous), but from a 45 degree angle in front of the dog. (This actually works with almost any animal)

And approach slowly, and with the posturing other people have mentioned.

Good luck! I have a submissive pee-er. She's much better with me now, getting better with my sister, and still kind of hopeless with my dad. *sigh*
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.