Other family members and training - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2012, 12:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Other family members and training

How does everyone deal with the human family members in the household that don't have the time or the knowledge to train the dog? It's universally accepted that everyone in the family should enforce training and rules but what if someone in the family doesn't have the time?
Anyone have any experience with this? How is the training set up in your house?

For me, I am the main trainer, handler, companion, playmate, etc. with my dogs. One of my dogs is old and she is well behaved and super submissive and will listen to all my family members. But they took no part in the training, I did all the training and behaviorial work and somewhere down the road, she learned her place in our pack and she just doesn't bark at any of us, growl, nothing. Anyone in my family can tell her "outside" and she will walk outside with a smile on her face.

Just curious how it's going for everyone else. My puppy is being trained by me and she is doing great. just turned 10 weeks, she knows sit, down, eye contact, sit and eye contact at every door, off. She still has trouble with OFF and takes her a while before she'll give up a toy but she's pretty young.
She walks perfectly fine with minor leash tugs and doesn't run around me or bite my legs, or snap at me. But I know all the techniques to redirect, to correct, praise, etc.
When she is with another family member, she turns into a different dog. Bites, snaps, chews at the leash, growls at them, will come into their space and jump and take the food from their hand. She doesn't do that with me and understands if anything is near me or in my hands, it's off limits.
Kind of wondering how this might pan out when she's older. The training is always continual and will be done by me and I'm hoping that after she gets older, more socialized and "tame", she will respond well to other family members.

Would love to hear some stories from everyone.. did you train your dogs yourself? Did someone in the family help or take part? How did it turn out? Was it a puppy to adult or a rescue? Etc. etc.
pancake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2012, 01:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

I've always trained my own shepherds. My wife has always been largely regarded as the 'playmate' because she didn't work with them and because she gives in. She's staying more out of Grim training than those in the past, but I think it's because I have specific training goals for him. I've had to correct things that she's doing that's distracting to him or because she's using the 'wrong' words to get him to do things (even though I've told her). She will let him out for me to give me a break when she gets home, but I've found that if I have her watch him so I can go lay down for a bit she'll either end up crating him or not watching him close enough and he'll pee in the house.

My teen isn't trustworthy, IMO, because he yells at Grim for grabbing his pant legs, shoes, etc. If everyone would've been on the same page from day one, I wouldn't be the only one getting compliance with this issue. If I leave, or I'm out of his sight, he now acts like it's Christmas when I'm back in the room with him, LOL! I'm hoping that he'll have more respect for my wife later on, but my others didn't. If *I* told them to stop doing whatever it was they weren't supposed to be doing as adults, then they would. However, if my wife told them, they went deaf. Too much attention and spoiling and not enough leadership. It's not like she didn't love them, either. She just doesn't have it in her to make them behave. I guess if it really bothered her, she'd put in more effort. What can you really do about it?
Old 11-07-2012, 03:34 AM   #3 (permalink)

Talking

I had this problem when my mother decided to get Kaylee when she was 3 almost 4 months old. Watching her I knew she was different. My mother thought she was getting a medium energy pup. Turns out she was wrong! She is a intense high drive little girl. I ended up taking over the training and taking her to OB classes. Those who broke the rules with Kaylee confused her and I was furious. I made it 100% clear I will not correct the dog's bad behavior because they decided to not follow the rules. That is not fair to the dog or me and it confuses her. I made it clear certain people were not allowed to be around the pup and those who want to be must be on the same page. Now that Kaylee is 7 months she is dedicated to me, and I will be doing all of the training with her. At this time I want to work on a few things with her to make sure our foundation is solid before moving on. Things are going good and we have much to do! So this is a work in progress for us
KayleeGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 07:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I am the main trainer for my dogs, but my son does participate. He has actually participated the most with the GSD. He was the one that worked with her and handled her for her CGC. He was actually very proud of himself. When I'm around the GSD favors me, so if we go to a class either I handle the dog or I have to disappear and then my son can handle her fine. It just doesn't work if I'm still there
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 09:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

I'm the only trainer for Kyleigh ... my dad's a playmate LOL ... but he does follow my rules (i.e. she's not allowed near the table when we are eating, has to sit before he opens the door, and she has to wait for him to say OK, before she can go outside).

With my last dog there were some hilarious moments when I was living with my late boyfriend. I had Abby trained, she was just over 2 when he moved in. I told him to NEVER feed her from the table ... he did. One night at supper, he had a steak on the table and went into the kitchen to get something (I was sitting on the sofa about 20 feet away) and Abby watched him leave the dining room, eyed the steak, hesitated for about 2 seconds and then BAM grabbed the steak off the table and it was gone before he came back.

When he did come back he looked around for his steak and asked me where it went. I told him that Abby had eaten it ... shocked, he asked why I didn't stop her ... I said, why should I? You feed her from the table all the time, how does she know the difference? She's NEVER done that me.

He quit feeding her from the table LOL
Old 11-07-2012, 12:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

I am the trainer in my family. My husband does the playing with them. They will do just about anything for me, but not for him.
Owned by Bridgette-RIP 05/93-09/10, Jasmine-RIP 01/96-5/06/09, Dakotah-R.I.P 14/12/05, Joshua-R.I.P 31/10/12, Sabrina-RIP 1/07/01-26/11/13, Shane 11/09/01, Samantha-R.I.P 07/12/13, Amber, Jody, Wendy, Gabriele-RIP 01/23/12-12/21/13, Kimi, and Jakob.
lostangl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 12:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyleigh View Post
With my last dog there were some hilarious moments when I was living with my late boyfriend. I had Abby trained, she was just over 2 when he moved in. I told him to NEVER feed her from the table ... he did. One night at supper, he had a steak on the table and went into the kitchen to get something (I was sitting on the sofa about 20 feet away) and Abby watched him leave the dining room, eyed the steak, hesitated for about 2 seconds and then BAM grabbed the steak off the table and it was gone before he came back.

When he did come back he looked around for his steak and asked me where it went. I told him that Abby had eaten it ... shocked, he asked why I didn't stop her ... I said, why should I? You feed her from the table all the time, how does she know the difference? She's NEVER done that me.

He quit feeding her from the table LOL
Love it! I'm having a really hard time with Ranger right now because of this very thing. My whole family spoils him and Dad is the enforcer. I try to set rules and proceedures (ie: sit before being let out, etc.) and everyone else in the house "forgets" and I have to start almost all over again when I'm off from work!
rangersdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 12:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

My biggest problem is that I have been the one to primarily train and take care of Bear, but I get sabbotaged. The other family members will try and comply with the training but then start to play games with him that goes against what I'm trying to teach.
I have been trying desperately to teach Bear recall, yet my son will play chase with him all over the house and now he will never come because it's a big game to him, grrr!
I also have to deal with different opinions on teaching methods, which can be very challenging.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

Good to know, very frustration to get sabotaged. Thinking about having one of them take a basic obedience class with the dog so they understand and the learn how to interact with the dog.
pancake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 08:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'm the one that trains, cares for my dogs. My family isn't really into the dogs much...DH loves their companionship but as far as training, it's all on me.
That said the kids and DH are all pretty good with the dogs, if anything they are more strict than I am! They don't tolerate them like I do. The dogs show everyone respect and we have really no problems whatsoever!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.