Sudden Fighting Questions (non GSD) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2012, 12:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Question Sudden Fighting Questions (non GSD)

I'm putting this in general behavior because the aggression section specified GSD's. MODS, please move it if necessary.

My parents, as many of you know, have two large-breed dogs. My dad's is mixed with husky, beagle and dalmation. Mom's is a lab/husky/akita (and may have some pit in there too lol). Sooo just your average lovable mutts.
The past couple of weeks, however, they have started to act strange. There has been no change in diet, exercise, training, routine... Everything is the same.
Anyway, it started with Tattonka (now 6 yrs, neutered since before we got him). He's never enjoyed going outside but he has ALWAYS gone out to do his business. Always. Well, about three weeks ago he began peeing/pooping in the house. They began crating him at night again and he stopped at night. But any time he was left in a room alone (even if he was in the living room and you were in the kitchen or hallway), he started peeing on stuff. This has stopped in the last couple days.
Two and a half weeks ago, he began snarling at Motomo (5 yrs, neutered at 6 months). Two weeks ago, the first fight broke out. It has been getting increasingly worse. And at this point, they are keeping the two seperated unless on a walk.

Initially I thought they were fighting during meals (they resource guard against one another heavily, even though they don't mind us messing with them or their food). But when I asked my father, they are still being fed in seperate rooms and none of the fights happened during a meal.
The most recent to my knowledge was Friday while I was visiting (they HAVE still be snarling and hackling at each other through the door and when they start out on walks). Tattonka had puncture wounds on the scruff of his neck and Motomo had to get 2 stitches under his left ear. I was watching them and Dakoda. Everyone was just laying around, the boys on different sides of the living room. Motomo was asleep, Tonka was watching the tv and Koda was asleep in front of me. Tonka randomly, and I do mean RANDOMLY, jumped up and lunged for Motomo. I couldn't break it up without getting myself bitten, and Koda ended up being the one to break them apart.

Now here's where I need help: What could be causing this? They're both neutered, nothing has changed, and they've been BEST friends since they were puppies. I also check them over for injuries routinely and neither is wounded (or was before their fight Friday). So why could they be fighting now? Could it just be something to do with the hurricane up North? I know it isn't just the cooler weather because they both actually love it when it's cold out.

My parents are willing to rehome Tonka if necessary. Motomo, on the other hand, is staying because he isn't a dog they could pass on to a new person with a clear mind.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2012, 12:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Has the dog that suddenly lunged been to a vet recently. Sounds like he may have a medical issue going on?
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 12:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I took him into my work, and there is nothing physically wrong with him (aside from the new puncture wounds on his neck, which we cleaned up and he is now on antibiotics for).
Is there any way to test dogs for neurological issues? I'm all out of ideas
Old 11-04-2012, 01:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla

When you took him in, did they do blood work, specifically thyroid?
Twyla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 01:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

They didn't check for thyroid, my boss said it wasn't necessary (probably just wanted to get back to clients since they were really busy).

Should I take him in with me tomorrow and have them run it???
Old 11-04-2012, 01:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla

I would, especially with this sudden show in aggression. While he is doing both pee and poop in the house, I'd ask for a urine culture as well.
Twyla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 01:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Alright. I'll collect a urine sample and get a baggy to have them test those as soon as I get in tomorrow. Looks like I'm gettin up a bit earlier than usual so I can pick him up
Thank you so much, Twyla!
Old 11-04-2012, 04:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

One more suggestion... did they *really* check their ears? Eyes? A bad ear infection can cause all kinds of symptoms that a dog wouldn't know how to react to... as well as messed up vision. The thyroid thing I'd have thought would have come first to a vet's mind. I'd have complete blood work done (including thyroid).
Old 11-04-2012, 04:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

They checked for everything except thyroid. My boss is a wee bit.. Wellllll. He doesn't think things through all the time. I assume that it being so busy didn't help. Sigh.

I checked over their eyes and ears myself after they cleared them, and those were fine. I'm currently leaning towards thyroid. :/ But he's going to work with Koda and me tomorrow so we'll see what the blood test says.
For my father's sake, wish me luck.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Good luck!! This has got to be hard on your parents as well as confusing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.