wants to go after other dogs - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2012, 03:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Phillip4288 Send a message via Skype™ to Phillip4288
Default wants to go after other dogs

Everytime I walk my dog at my apartment complex and Zeus spots another dog he tries to chase him and pulls away from me. Be it a human or dog he is interested and pulls from me. What do I do?
Phillip4288 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2012, 04:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

Need to teach him that you make the rules and he is to follow. If he sees the dog and shows interest, direct him back to you. Do this through a touch and a strong look, not a dominant thing. A good trainer can teach you how to be a strong leader for your dog and not by yelling, hitting, nor rolling your dog.
wildrivers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 04:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

When I first brought my 4 month old GSD home, she would ALWAYS pull and try to to after people, dogs, rabbits, etc. I consulted a dog trainer and he told me to first practice in the house with a leash on her. Whenever she tried to walk away from me or wanted to walk around without my permission, I would tug at the leash and say a firm "eh" or "shht". After she understood that when she hears my voice to stop what she is doing, then I started to do it on our walks. It takes time and patience. Now my GSD walks by people just fine and doesn't pay any attention to the little critters that we have in our neighborhood. We are still working on other dogs. She hardly ever tries to pull when she sees a dog, and when she does, it's not a strong pull. 90% of the time she doesn't pull at all, but will sometimes just stare at the other dog lol. She is 11 months now and has made huge progress.
mocamacho92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 06:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

For other dogs, turn immediately in the other direction. Give a treat when the dog follows you. Also work on the sit/stay in the apt. first. Have him sit before you feed him. Then when you walk him - have him sit at a curb - give a treat. Then when you see someone in the distance - have him sit, reward him. When people want to pet him, ask them to wait. Have your dog sit first. Then say - "okay you can meet them" and let your dog approach them.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.