Doesn't sit next to owner sits next to me - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2012, 10:17 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Doesn't sit next to owner sits next to me

Ever since my friend had to board her three year old male german shepherd, she noticed that he doesn't have as strong of a bond. When we were watching tv he sat next to me. I've been giving him treats and playing ball all day. While watching tv he later next to me . Then he gave me a lick on my face then 2 more times. He even showed me his belly. And let me scratch it. Whenever he sees this guy his tail will wag and he'll get all happy. Can german shepherds attached themselves to other people?
Germanshepherdgirl =] is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2012, 10:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My dog goes absolutely nuts over my two nieces and my best friend. He kisses, cries, wags, gets so excited he can hardly hold still when they come over. He paws at them to pet him and scratch his belly. It's great to see him enjoy others that much. But he's still MY dog. So maybe what you're seeing is the same kind of behavior
Stosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 11:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Yes, German Shepherds can be attached to more than one person. They can have special friends outside of their immediate pack. It does not mean that they do not have a bond with their owner, and being friends with others does not diminish their bond or connection to their owner.

I like when my dogs have special friends. They are in general outgoing and friendly with other people, and I encourage it. I think it gives them more depth and richness in their lives, and does not take away anything from my relationship with them.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 11:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

My girl is insanely attached to my dad, and before we moved here she was equally attached to my buddy John. When they are present, I am pretty much chopped liver, unless I give her a command. That tells me she still knows who is boss, but that she is capable of loving more than just me. For us, it is a good thing, because she is a nippy dog. She still nips at my brother on occasion; more out of trying to get his attention or trying to stop him from messing with 'her' cat.

Zisso is my heart~Nadia is my Love~My kitties bring me everything in between~Together they bring me Joy!
Zisso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 11:10 AM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Whoever provides the good stuff is their friend, that is, if they are well socialized with people as a pup. I would consider it a compliment on a job well done. Like with their owner, you have to earn their affection. That was sometimes hard for my friends as they said "he never flattens his ears for me". Then one day he did and everyone cheered him on.
I also got a payoff when one of my friends told me, "WD is a great dog to know." That made me cheer
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.