Male dog frantic over female in heat...Help! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2012, 09:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Male dog frantic over female in heat...Help!

This is a quick question for the elderly neighbor who lives behind me. She has a large breed Heinz 57 male dog, who is absolutely frantic over the female pitbull who lives next door to them who is apparently in heat. I could hear his high pitched whining and barking from my house, which is how I ended up outside in the first place. He's running the fence when he is outside, and after she drags him inside, she said he is still running, pacing, jumping in the widows, etc.

She asked if me if I knew what to do with him, and of course I have no idea other than to tell her to get her dog neutered.....but in the mean time, how should she deal with him? I'm afraid she is going to get herself hurt. He is every bit of 80 pounds and she is in her 70's.

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1275860

Failure *is* success, if you learn from it.
PatchonGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2012, 10:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

old horse trick - rub some vicks under his nostrils.....might be a temp fix

The female is in optimal standing heat if he is acting like this - will only be a day or two....no comfort I know! But both parties need to alter their animals or there WILL be a batch of mutt puppies for the HS to PTS....

Lee
Csabre Sch1, Hexe Sch2, SG Bengal, Komet, Kira HGH & Kougar v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia BH ~ ATB Basha Sch3 IPO3, Danger Sch1 RH SAR ~ Kougar Sch3, Kyra Sch3, Cito Sch2, Alice Sch1, Kelsey CD, Ret ~ Fenja Sch3s

wolfstraum.net
wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 10:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

If you know her well and are friendly, I'd call around and find out when there's going to be a low-cost spay/neuter event offered by your county/shelter/humane society/vet school, and sign him up for your neighbor. Tell your neighbor you'll help transport him, since he's a big guy. Make it easy for her to do the right thing.
Magwart is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 11:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
If you know her well and are friendly, I'd call around and find out when there's going to be a low-cost spay/neuter event offered by your county/shelter/humane society/vet school, and sign him up for your neighbor. Tell your neighbor you'll help transport him, since he's a big guy. Make it easy for her to do the right thing.
I agree. May want to mention the stress and anxiety she's adding to his life by failing to neuter him if he gets so nuts with that female next door.

Be great if you could get the pitbull fixed too

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 11:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfstraum View Post
old horse trick - rub some vicks under his nostrils.....might be a temp fix

The female is in optimal standing heat if he is acting like this - will only be a day or two....no comfort I know! But both parties need to alter their animals or there WILL be a batch of mutt puppies for the HS to PTS....

Lee
I'll tell her about the vicks rub, will it hurt if he licks it off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
I dont know this lady very well, we are just on a "hello, how are you?" sort of basis when we see each other out but I did talk to my DH about transporting the dog "Duke" to "face", a low cost clinic near us for her if she wants and he said he would take the dog in his truck. So I'll offer this to her when I see her. She is staying outside with him on potty breaks to make sure he doesnt jump the fence. I might stick a flyer in the Pitbull owners mailbox, I dont speak to them at all.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieRoseLee View Post
I agree. May want to mention the stress and anxiety she's adding to his life by failing to neuter him if he gets so nuts with that female next door.

Be great if you could get the pitbull fixed too

The poor dog is very stressed. The lady I think has the best of intentions. She said he was her grandsons "puppy" that she was keeping for a week, and now 2 years later he is still there. I'm sure the only reason he hasnt been neutered yet is because she cant get him in the car so hopefully she'll take us up on the offer to haul him back and forth to get fixed.

I'll see what I can do about that pitty.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

This sounds like a "dangerous" neighborhood to have an intact animal in, in terms of unplanned breedings and inexperienced owners. How are things going?
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.