OB progress - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2012, 11:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member
 
Zeeva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 3,242
Default OB progress

I enjoyed my prong thread so much I think I am going to start documenting our OB training as well. I am starting off simply with Zeeva doing pushups (we are learning sit, stay and down all over again and trying to perfect it).


Yesterday I took Zeeva quickly through a busy Target parking lot. I felt unsafe with the cars driving around so we might not be ready for this. We only spent about 5-7 minutes there. She stayed in a good 'with me' position even when people walked by (no growling). But she is easily startled (she ducks and looks behind her; I think this is the body language of a dog that is startled?)--by cars, ruffling bags, people, honking horns. She is very alert and maybe unfocused. Am I overwhelming her? She needs to be focused on me, right?

I do not want drive by strokers. We will get a vest that says 'in training' (posted recently on here )

I will take Smokey trough the same parking lot today (after it cools down a bit) and observe his demeanor.

This thread is also to push myself to do what I promise and not slack off...
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-06-2012, 12:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
martemchik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 4,029
Default

Don't repeat exercises that much. It's not necessary to do up down up down up down. I've noticed my dog gets extremely bored when we practice those things. He even looks at me like, "what the **** am I doing?" I don't think you need to practice in parking lots or around stores, that is way too much distraction if you're just starting to really get into hardcore obedience. Find a forest preserve or park where you can have your dog safely on/off leash, trust me no one in the Chicago area will care unless your dog does something stupid.

My dog is 2, hopefully I'll get his CD this weekend, and a RA as well, and I try not to heel or do repetitive simple obedience exercises for more than 5 minutes at a time. I'm starting to work on hand signals so once in a while we'll sit there and do sits and downs, but usually I do, sit, down, front and then we do something else. At most I repeat it twice. They're smart dogs, they aren't going to keep repeating exercises just to get a treat or a ball.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2012, 12:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member
 
Blanketback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,399
Default

The busy Target parking lot sounds like too much. Can you find a happy medium? Something quieter? Too much too soon isn't good.
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2012, 01:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: CA, US
Posts: 918
Default

I do OB when we're playing or on a walk so it's not too boring for them. For example, on the walk, we start with sit, wait, then heel, then sit (while I keep walking) then down, sit, come, heel, walk walk walk, down (while I keep walking), then sit, front (she comes to my front), heel, walk walk walk, etc. It's faster paced and she responds quickly and engaged and seems to enjoy it (or maybe it's the treats that she enjoys). If there's a dog coming, I ask her to do OB. If there's a biker, she downs and stays and ignore. If there's a squirrel.... "leave it" with leash popped... haha. I only use inside to teach a command. After that, we do it outside or during play.
Bear L is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2012, 01:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member
 
CarrieJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 3,010
Default

Something to remember when you go on "field trips" as my boss calls them; Shopping centers, etc.
Standing out front of a place like Target/Safeway or whatever your big grocery stores are called are great exposure to weird things.

Five to seven minutes is not too long to start. You want to work up to a calm acceptance. You don't want a panicky dog, and they are good places to work up your confidence as a handler. Don't go places where you are out of your comfort zone as the dog will pick up on it.
`
We are pretty lucky because we live really close to our big county hospital. Alice got to see ambulances, firetrucks (on full siren mode) people in walkers, wheelchairs, sheriff's car and because of where we live people from other cultures that to a dog dress REALLY scary. Turbans, saris and sarongs.
Alice actually got to sit in the back of a retired K-9s car and now she thinks ALL the sheriffs will let her do it...

My rambling point is: What are your goals for you and your dog's relationship?
Personally, I like to have a confident, happy, mentally balanced dog.
It's ok to get startled, but how fast she recovers is what I'm looking for.
__________________
Gunny GSD & Zoey the Weasel
Sean M. Walsh K-9 Memorial Fund
our goal is to help police agencies establish and maintain a canine team in memory of Sean
Sean's Dogs.com
CarrieJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2012, 04:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member
 
Zeeva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 3,242
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear L View Post
I do OB when we're playing or on a walk so it's not too boring for them. For example, on the walk, we start with sit, wait, then heel, then sit (while I keep walking) then down, sit, come, heel, walk walk walk, down (while I keep walking), then sit, front (she comes to my front), heel, walk walk walk, etc. It's faster paced and she responds quickly and engaged and seems to enjoy it (or maybe it's the treats that she enjoys). If there's a dog coming, I ask her to do OB. If there's a biker, she downs and stays and ignore. If there's a squirrel.... "leave it" with leash popped... haha. I only use inside to teach a command. After that, we do it outside or during play.
I really liked this idea of practicing OB while walking so I totally tried it! We simply practiced, sit, stay (till end of leash), and come when called. Here is our short spin on it:


We also practiced stay with her back to me and then I walk past her and in front of her till the end of the leash; then call her to me. We failed the first time in this video but I think the second time she did fine...


I think we will increase duration of her time for stay soon.

She is good with bikers, skateboarders, people walking by etc (not so much dogs though). But I will check her focus for sit, stay and heel with these distractions on our walks.
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2012, 04:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member
 
Zeeva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 3,242
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieJ View Post
Something to remember when you go on "field trips" as my boss calls them; Shopping centers, etc.
Standing out front of a place like Target/Safeway or whatever your big grocery stores are called are great exposure to weird things.

Five to seven minutes is not too long to start. You want to work up to a calm acceptance. You don't want a panicky dog, and they are good places to work up your confidence as a handler. Don't go places where you are out of your comfort zone as the dog will pick up on it.
`
We are pretty lucky because we live really close to our big county hospital. Alice got to see ambulances, firetrucks (on full siren mode) people in walkers, wheelchairs, sheriff's car and because of where we live people from other cultures that to a dog dress REALLY scary. Turbans, saris and sarongs.
Alice actually got to sit in the back of a retired K-9s car and now she thinks ALL the sheriffs will let her do it...

My rambling point is: What are your goals for you and your dog's relationship?
Personally, I like to have a confident, happy, mentally balanced dog.
It's ok to get startled, but how fast she recovers is what I'm looking for.
My goal is to train her to listen to me. I want her recall, stay, loose leash walking and heel rock solid. I want her socialized both with people and dogs. I want her to be able to ignore the things I ask her to. This especially means ignoring our neighbors. Is that too much to ask for for now...?
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2012, 08:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member
 
Zeeva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 3,242
Default

Here is our sit, stay/recall work for today. These were taken after Smokey had about a 3 mile walky dog session and Zeeva about a 2 mile walky dog session (that's why I think they are panting so much; they are tired). Several failed attempts, especially with Smokey (I think it's the breed in him; he just doesn't have the focus or the understanding...). Do you think he'll learn? Or am I right to say his breed won't learn this type of work? None the less I will keep trying with him. But based on these videos, maybe you can make some suggestions to us?

(Zeeva does well. I don't think I have any videos of her failing, but she did a few times.)

(Smokey fails)

(We got distracted by another beautiful GS in this one. Am sorry if this is any of you out there but holler at me if you see us working!)

(He really doesn't get it. Even with a treat)

P.S. I'm sort of glad I didn't completely throw away that retractable leash. Is this a bad way to work? I fished it out of the trash can last minute...

P.P.S. I'm kind of a doh doh for taping some of these sideways. Sorry
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2012, 11:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: CA, US
Posts: 918
Default

With Smokey maybe try doing it at home first with shorter distance, no distraction and his favorite treat or toy, if he has one.

I can't hear any sound for some reason. The first Smokey video made me laugh when he just kind of started going to his rest/sleep mode.

Are your dogs always this calm and chill? Just thinking about what would excite them so they are more motivated to work. My dog can get a bit edgy or overly excited when we do OB. Yours just seem very opposite! The treats doesn't get them going either?
Bear L is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2012, 11:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member
 
Zeeva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 3,242
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear L View Post
Are your dogs always this calm and chill? Just thinking about what would excite them so they are more motivated to work. My dog can get a bit edgy or overly excited when we do OB. Yours just seem very opposite! The treats doesn't get them going either?
Yes, they are always this calm about training. Nothing really excites them unless it's our poor sweet neighbor or other dogs (especially small ones )

Zeeva does not work for treats at all. I think I've trained her that way. She doesn't expect a treat every time she does something right. In fact sometimes I think she get startled if I give her a treat (doesn't associate the OB with the treat).

Smokey loves these new treats I bought. But he will not work for them...

I wonder why the sound isn't working. I know listening to it would make a big difference...My verbal diarrhea of commands is probably going to get some bashing I am working on that part...
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:34 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset.net DobermanTalk.com GoldenRetrieverForum.com OurBeagleWorld.com
BoxerForums.com DogForums.com GoPitbull.com PoodleForum.com
BulldogBreeds.com FishForums.com HavaneseForum.com SpoiledMaltese.com
CatForum.com GermanShepherds.com Labradoodle-dogs.net YorkieForum.com
Chihuahua-People.com RetrieverBreeds.com