My dog hunts and kills. - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2012, 10:08 AM   #11 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LARHAGE

Try living with 3 terriers, they have off the chart prey drive and literally will kill anything they can catch, they even try to climb the tree trunks when the crows land in the trees, they're dogs and bred to hunt and kill, my terriers had a rat trapped behind a stall door and it bolted and almost got away except for the fact that it ran right into the path of my........CHIHUAHUA who promptly grabbed it shook it and killed it, I don't see how anyone would expect a dog to not kill a bunny in the yard, at my house they are simply snacks, I always laugh when people come to my house and say how my Shepherds are killers when in actuality the cute little shaggy faced ones are the actual death squad elite, they kill FAR more critters than them! I can't imagine any dog not killing bunnies in the yard, they would have to be the exception not the rule, God knows I've never owned one!

To err is human, to forgive, is canine.
LARHAGE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2012, 10:09 AM   #12 (permalink)
Knighted Member

She is not a killer, she is doing what she is biologically driven to do. There is no reason to get rid of her, especially over that.

"May my enemies live long so they can see me progress."

www.germanshepherdguide.com
Wild Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2012, 10:40 AM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I personally do not understand the horror. We live on 5 acres and are overrun with bunnies and other small critters this year. They eat any garden stuffs we try to grow, the are munching on everything. Ugh! My 10 year old shepherd is too old to catch them anymore but he still half heartedly tries. My new puppy hasn't figured out how to catch them yet, but hopefully it won't be long. There was a news article in the local paper just yesterday saying how the abundance of small fuzzy critters is leading to a rise in rattlesnakes this year. I want the small furry critters gone. If anyone has dogs they want to train to kill these annoying pests they are more than welcome to come let them run in my yard. High prey drive is a plus in my book.
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2012, 10:55 AM   #14 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper311 View Post
I tried to tell him that most dogs would have done what cookie did. He does no believe me.
This very true. Most dogs, if given the chance, would have done exactly what your dog did. My golden killed a nest of baby bunnies once, and he and the mamma bunny had this weird thing going on for years where she would come into the yard, he would chase her until he tired out and then it would start over again the next day. Dogs chase things, and if they catch them sometimes they kill them. He wouldn't expect a cat not to try and catch mice, it's the same for dogs only they can get bigger prey sometimes.

NewbieShepherdGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2012, 11:05 AM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
I will say the first time you see your fur baby shake & kill a small animal it's kind of shocking. My boy also got ahold of a baby bunny. ..................................

Ain't that the big truth!

Should have seen the first time our 2yo female GSD got into a tussle with an adult Racoon in the back yard in front of our 10yo son! There was a lot of noise and fur flying when they tangled.

My son later told me with a lot of awe in his voice - "Dad, Abby was like a wild animal!".

Fortunately no real harm was done to either animal - a little bit of blood (racoon) on our dog was all.

But I will say that he seemed to play with her more cautiosly for a few weeks afterward till he realized that she was still his loving, playful, friendly playmate!
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2012, 11:48 AM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherdmom View Post
I personally do not understand the horror. We live on 5 acres and are overrun with bunnies and other small critters this year. They eat any garden stuffs we try to grow, the are munching on everything.
Because its a part of nature and nature is beautiful. Those small creatures lived here way before people did and we are in their space. They are only surviving on their instinct. I don't think that they are eating the stuff in your garden to get you mad...its what they do As part of nature there is also a food chain and everything takes care of itself. IMO instead of killing them people need to learn to live with them or move to the city. I would be horrified if any of my dogs tried to kill a bunny or squirrel. Last year my oldest dog led me to a hole with a bunch of baby bunnies that were drowning(it was raining very hard), she continued to paw one that wasn't breathing and it must have been in the right spot because it started to breathe. I am VERY proud that she chose to save them and not kill them.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2012, 12:09 PM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Dainerra

Rayden will kill and eat a wild bunny in a heartbeat. He's getting too old to catch them, but does love him a good fresh bunny snack.
He's not out for blood, though. And he is very trustworthy around small animals he is introduced too.

Show this to your husband to prove that killing a wild bunny does NOT equal a bloodthirsty monster
Dainerra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2012, 12:11 PM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
Because its a part of nature and nature is beautiful. Those small creatures lived here way before people did and we are in their space. They are only surviving on their instinct. I don't think that they are eating the stuff in your garden to get you mad...its what they do As part of nature there is also a food chain and everything takes care of itself. IMO instead of killing them people need to learn to live with them or move to the city. I would be horrified if any of my dogs tried to kill a bunny or squirrel. Last year my oldest dog led me to a hole with a bunch of baby bunnies that were drowning(it was raining very hard), she continued to paw one that wasn't breathing and it must have been in the right spot because it started to breathe. I am VERY proud that she chose to save them and not kill them.
Nature is harsh and we are top of the food chain. Bunnies are not cute they are nasty little rodents that bring sickness. They rank right up there with rattlesnakes and other nasties in the yard. Yes bunnies eat my plants because it is instinct but dogs kill bunnies also because it is instinct. My dogs get praised and treats for it. I'm not going to apologize for that. I also am not going to move to a city. I have lived in the country most of my life and understand that the constant battle with bunnies and other critters are part of nature. I am not teaching my dogs to be killers, just allowing them to do what comes natural. They also come inside and are just fine with kids and people.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:13 PM   #19 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dainerra View Post
Rayden will kill and eat a wild bunny in a heartbeat. He's getting too old to catch them, but does love him a good fresh bunny snack.
He's not out for blood, though. And he is very trustworthy around small animals he is introduced too.

Show this to your husband to prove that killing a wild bunny does NOT equal a bloodthirsty monster
Aww beautiful dog.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:21 PM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

gosh, where do people get these ideas...prey drive is instinct for pete's sake. cash went after a bunny the other day, caught it and brought it to mom with a look of expectation of praise on his face. laid it at my feet and looked up as if to say "mom, LOOK what i brought you". not a drop of blood or injury on it. apparently tho he just scared it to death, literally.

PLEASE don't allow your husband to guilt you into getting rid of your dog. your husband has a wrong idea in his head. for whatever reason he is really misinterpreting this issue.
hearthside's cinderfella (RIP 4/20/09)
shep von bellefontaine (RIP 6/9/10)
voodoo lily (dsh) & cricket (african grey~RIP 7/13)
katieliz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.