Dog sitting unruly dog - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2012, 06:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Dog sitting unruly dog

I'm dog sitting my landlords 9 month old male Golden retriever and I need some suggestions on how to deal with him. He is staying in his yard on his side of the duplex. Whenever I go in there to feed him and play ball he jumps on me and nips frantically and grabs my clothing and tears it. It's actually pretty scary because the bites hurt and he is about 65 lbs. Telling him no just ramps him up more.
I brought my girls in there to play with him and burn off some energy but he just mounted them to the point that they got very annoyed.
I'm almost scared to go back there because he is just so overwhelming. I have to watch him for about a week so I'd appreciate your guys advice.
CeCe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2012, 06:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Open the door to go in. If he jumps, immediately move back out the door and close the door in his face without a word. Wait until it is quiet and try again. Repeat until he sits or stands quietly when you open the door and looks at you like "what the heck???" Step in, and if he goes into Maniac Mode, leave. Again, repeat until you can go in and walk around without being accosted. You're telling him that if he stays calm, you'll be with him and play with him but if he turns into a boorish jerk, you're gone. Don't talk to him; body language and actions will say all that is necessary. Bring treats so you can reward for calm behaviors like sitting or laying down or just simply standing. He is probably bored to pieces and craving attention so there is no need to correct. This is all self-control and rewarding calm. Of course, when he is calm, PLAY PLAY PLAY! He is a puppy, after all.

With the treats you have, you can work on obedience (with the owner's permission only) or fun trick training. The pup will love the interaction and be worn down more than with simple physical exercise. I wouldn't allow the pup to play with your dogs; you don't want to risk an injury.

Good luck!

Training @ The Canine Center - St Cloud, FL
"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
DianaM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2012, 07:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

You also might try a squirt bottle with some water in it. When he jumps up spray him him in the face. Most dogs (yes even water loving dogs like goldens) don't like to be sprayed in the face. It might stop him long enough to redirect him.

NewbieShepherdGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2012, 12:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

DianaM's great advice - I sure would try that first. But if the dog should somehow think - great - I'll charge everytime she comes out the door - new game. Here's what I would do - first - wear old clothes - and jeans - no shorts - long sleeves. When he comes charging - stop - turn your back and wait until he quiets. Don't say anything. When he is quiet - turn slowly and wait for him to come up to you. Hold out your hand away from your body and give him a treat (if he is a grabber - put the treat on the ground). When you next come in his yard - and he charges - repeat. Then transition to when he approaches you - hold your hand out with the treat . That is also a good time to work on the sit - so he comes to you - he sits - he gets the treat. If you can - take him for a walk - that should also burn up some of that energy. I would also give him a Nylabone or another type of safe chew bone. You could check with your landlord on that. Good Luck!
Old 05-24-2012, 12:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeCe View Post
I'm dog sitting my landlords 9 month old male Golden retriever and I need some suggestions on how to deal with him. He is staying in his yard on his side of the duplex. Whenever I go in there to feed him and play ball he jumps on me and nips frantically and grabs my clothing and tears it. It's actually pretty scary because the bites hurt and he is about 65 lbs. Telling him no just ramps him up more.
I brought my girls in there to play with him and burn off some energy but he just mounted them to the point that they got very annoyed.
I'm almost scared to go back there because he is just so overwhelming. I have to watch him for about a week so I'd appreciate your guys advice.
The dog I took in did similar, though he didn't try to nip at my clothes. He actually tried to get at my face. (To lick it, but I didn't know that then.) He would totally accost me and anyone though. Major jumping up like I've never seen. 65 lbs of hardcore jumping up is nothing to bat an eye at!

Sounds like he is desperate for interaction, but doesn't know how to get positive attention. (?) Sounds like my guy!

Telling my guy "no" didn't work. Turning the back really didn't work. (He'd just jump on the person's back.) Holding the leash to the floor with a foot didn't work. The only thing that worked was giving him a hard knee to the chest. I know that sounds severe, but it really was the only thing that got his attention. I feel like a jerk advising that, but if nothing else is working, you might want to think about it.

I didn't make a big ordeal of this. Just kneed him a few times. Then every time he approached me and kept all four on the ground, he was praised highly. Treated. Told to sit, treated, etc. Then I'd throw a ball or other rewarding type of thing for him to redirect that energy towards.

It sure sounds like this dog has a ton of unexpressed energy. Maybe you could try a flirt pole?
chelle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2014, 12:01 AM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelle View Post
The dog I took in did similar, though he didn't try to nip at my clothes. He actually tried to get at my face. (To lick it, but I didn't know that then.) He would totally accost me and anyone though. Major jumping up like I've never seen. 65 lbs of hardcore jumping up is nothing to bat an eye at!

Sounds like he is desperate for interaction, but doesn't know how to get positive attention. (?) Sounds like my guy!

Telling my guy "no" didn't work. Turning the back really didn't work. (He'd just jump on the person's back.) Holding the leash to the floor with a foot didn't work. The only thing that worked was giving him a hard knee to the chest. I know that sounds severe, but it really was the only thing that got his attention. I feel like a jerk advising that, but if nothing else is working, you might want to think about it.

I didn't make a big ordeal of this. Just kneed him a few times. Then every time he approached me and kept all four on the ground, he was praised highly. Treated. Told to sit, treated, etc. Then I'd throw a ball or other rewarding type of thing for him to redirect that energy towards.

It sure sounds like this dog has a ton of unexpressed energy. Maybe you could try a flirt pole?
Yep right there! Neighbors Boxer/mix doesn't jump on me or you can see her think twice! Then chose to sit!

Technically you lift your knee and the dog lands his chest on your knee when he comes down. Takes a certain amount of agility,my Boxer humiliated my best friend constantly, she danced circles around him!

But when done right..it ends that crap pretty quickly!
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.