2 questions again...advice??? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2012, 11:22 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2 questions again...advice???

hey guys.
I found out about a 4 year old male shepherd who is going to be sent to the pound. the people dont want him because they just got him yesterday and he doesnt get along with their other adult male dogs. he will go into diabetic shock if he doesnt eat every few hours...which is also another reason the people dont want them. we are pretty tied up with rogue but this dog (bear) is tugging on my heart strings and I know he needs help. would it be a bad idea for us to take him in? Do adult males get along well with females? Will his older age help calm Rogue or will we just have 2 tornadoes in here. I dont know what to do and need some advice.
Also what does it mean if the hair between the shoulders stands up? Today on our walk, Rogue stopped and got really alert and the long hair in between her shoulders stood up and she was stiff as a board. Is she becomming protective finally? What does this mean?? Thanks in advance for your replies everybody!
marinehoney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2012, 11:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

The hair along their back is called hackles. Any anxiety, fear or aggression can cause the hackles to rise.
As for the older male, you would have to introduce him to your dog and have them spend time together to find out if they are OK. Also, try to find out as much of his history as possible. Opposite sex dogs tend to get along better than same sex dogs, but there is no guarantee.
Semper Fi
PaddyD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2012, 11:31 AM   #3 (permalink)

The place he came from he was "too big" for. So they kept him in his kennel all day. So he got passed to this girl who decided she didnt want him either. Will the pound kill him due to diabetes?
What should I do when the hackles rise? comfort her or leave her alone?
Old 02-22-2012, 11:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

FTR, even being cold can make them hackle although you may not see it on a large, longer coated dog than a Dachshund

Hackles can mean uncertainty. If she's maturing and experiencing some aloofness, she may be unsure of if she needs to be friends with an oncoming pedestrian or bark at them, or what?
Take a strong leadership position so she can look to you as her guide; that is, if you are not upset about the oncoming "stranger" then she needn't be either.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2012, 11:33 AM   #5 (permalink)

It was a noise that i couldnt hear due to my mp3 player. I took my ear buds out and I hear these whining howling coon dogs just going nuts and she was arking under her breathe with raised hackles. she is really hard to walk because she pulls me.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
FTR, even being cold can make them hackle although you may not see it on a large, longer coated dog than a Dachshund

Hackles can mean uncertainty. If she's maturing and experiencing some aloofness, she may be unsure of if she needs to be friends with an oncoming pedestrian or bark at them, or what?
Take a strong leadership position so she can look to you as her guide; that is, if you are not upset about the oncoming "stranger" then she needn't be either.
Couldn't agree more.
As long as and as soon as she feels safe, her hackles will go down on their own. She is young and you will quickly come to know the things that make her anxious. The hackles are nature's way of making her look bigger and more formidable. I expect that other dogs are not fooled by it. Who knows?
PaddyD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2012, 11:42 AM   #7 (permalink)

Does anybody know about taking care of a diabetic dog? Cost, treatment, life expectancy, feed, excercise?
Old 02-22-2012, 11:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

If something makes her afraid, simply forge on (or turn around and leave) very nonchalantly, paying no attention to her fear response.
When she calms herself, then is the time to praise her. Not overly done, just a "See, that wasn't so bad!" kind of happy tone.

By "comforting" her when she's afraid she'll learn that it's okay to be afraid and show signs of distress.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2012, 11:44 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

with best intentions -- I think you have your hands full with understanding and helping Rogue . This dog sounds seriously fearful -- NOT protective -- NOT . Watch out that you do not promote this dog in this state of mind. Watch out that one time you will get a shock when the dog lunges out and bites out of fear . I would recommend taking this dog to a trainer who is able to bring Rogue to her best potential. The pulling may be anxiety based also , lets go lets go lets get it over with, run away .

If you bring the other dog in with its own set of problems , as well intentioned and as kind hearted as you may be , you may end up with an explosive situation. Rogue gets worse , the new dog gets worse , and you will be worn out from the demands put upon you .

that's my take on it

Carmen
Carmspack Working German Shepherd Dogs
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2012, 11:45 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

Honestly, it sounds like you have your hands full with your girl. She's having some fear/uncertainty issues, isn't good on a leash, and adding a 4 year old diabetic male that has issues with male dogs isn't going to train her for you. I understand the desire to want to help save him but in this case I would vote that it's more important for you to pour yourself into Rogue right now especially since it sounds like you still have some learning to do (not an insult, that's why I'm here ). You could always post him in the rescue forum and see if you could help him find a home that way?

Tango, lab mix 10/01/2000
Scarlett, cattle dog mix 04/01/2007
Sasha, GSD 02/01/2008
sashadog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.