Is your GSD *Overly* clingy when you are sick/injured? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2011, 04:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Question Is your GSD *Overly* clingy when you are sick/injured?

A week ago Monday I got a severe concussion. I ended up in the hospital ER twice for the concussion and the post concussion syndrome that followed along with a sprained neck. Since then my 16 month GSD male has been OVERLY clingy when I am home alone. I mean touching me at all times, lays directly next to me in bed, freaks out when I shower and scratches at the glass shower door, pushes into the bathroom while I'm using the toilet and follows me everywhere to the point he is stepping on the backs of my feet. He has always followed me but since I have gotten hurt and have been having a hard time recovering he won't leave me alone.

If my fiance is home and in the same room with me he will rest away from me but once my fiance leaves me alone he immed comes and glues himself back to my side again. Does he feel he is taking care of me?? Does he feel the need to protect me bc I am hurt and am having dizziness and pain? He will even try to herd away my other dog when she comes to see me and whines like he is upset that I am moving around. Hes never been like this before just since the accident occured.

Is this normal? Do any of your dogs get more clingy when you are sick/injured?
Gilly1331 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2011, 05:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

This breed is a funny breed, They sense our feelings I am sure, My guy Nero is clingy to me not so much to his dad.. Nero is around me if I am feeling upset, Its as if he knows that if he comes and sits by me and puts his head on my knee he will make me feel better. And guess what it does work..

Lisa-marie

tally-breeze,Sable Gsd, (Nero) D.o.b 13/06/03
CLARKE-DUNCAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2011, 06:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have had this with my Aussies. My new little GSD licks and rubs and climbs all over me if I am upset/in tears. Your boy is just protecting you. Let him know you are OK and thank him for his service. He'll know.
Cara Fusinato is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2011, 06:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Both of ours are like that. If one of us are sick, they make sure that they stay close and never let us out of their sight.
Once in a while, if I'm starting to come down with something, Cass will be super clingy with me. That's when Audrey will keep telling me, "you're getting sick, better watch out." Most of the time, she's right.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours faithful and true~ to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. ~unknown
CassandGunnar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2011, 06:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

I have epilepsy and, a couple months ago, when I had a seizure Xander (and Vega - whippet) were in their crates.

My husband told me afterwards that Xander was VERY concerned and tried to get out of the crate to get to me. Vega whines a lot but - I suppose she's more used to it by now.
GSD_Xander is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2011, 09:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Nope. I get no sympathy whatsoever! It's a good thing I hardly ever get sick.
Good_Karma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2011, 10:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

Dogs are smart, they can sense when your not up to par. I had a springer once that was very responsive regarding my mom's back surgery and her pain issues after the fact. Dog ended up being her defender of sorts for life after the surgery.
neiltus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2011, 10:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My husband travels a lot- when he's home Stosh just hangs out at night, usually by the front door, but when my husband is gone he stretches out along the threshold of the bedroom door as though he's daring anyone to pass. When I've been sick he's done the same thing making sure I'm ok. He seems quieter and subdued
Stosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2011, 10:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

When my dad was dying of cancer MY dog glommed onto him. She would come and say hi to me now and again but she spent the rest of her day guarding my dad. She quit sleeping next to my bed and moved in with pops, curled up around his feet at night. She NEVER slept on my bed, always on the floor with a good view of the door. He was in immense pain near the end (morphine barely dented it) and anyone dumb enough to raise dad's ire had a BC mix itching for blood. I was mostly exempt from her protection but if dad yelled she got jumpy even with me.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:40 AM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Oh, goodness.... Mine are ALWAYS glued to me when I'm not feeling well. Sometimes they know I'm getting sick before I know it myself. Gunnar, my Lab/Spare Parts mix, was able to predict my migraines about 20 minutes before they hit. Sometimes I could prevent a migraine from happening by taking meds as soon as he alerted me.

A few years ago, one of my overly clingy dogs (might have been Gunnar, but Kaija was there, too) shoved me away from the steps just outside my front door, just moments before I passed out from dehydration. Thanks to the dog(s), I landed inside the house instead of on a concrete patio four steps down.

Gunner (the new guy) doesn't like me going anywhere near stairs when I'm sick, especially if I'm having dizzy spells. Silly boy. Kaija doesn't like it either, but she at least lets me go up & down the stairs-- IF I hold on to her while I'm doing it. Both dogs have loads of energy, but they act very subdued when I'm not feeling well. When they start playing again, I know I must be feeling better.
Dogaroo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.