Excessive Drooling only in the Car - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2011, 02:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Excessive Drooling only in the Car

I have a 6.5 month old GSD that I got at 4 months old. Since the very first car ride home he has drooled excessively any time he is in the car. When I say excessively I mean it is like a faucet was turned on in his mouth. The vet says its anxiety and should go away. He used to be scared of getting into the car, but now is more willing to get in. He will sit in the back seat and as soon as we leave the driveway, the flood gates let loose. He is soaking wet by the time we get anywhere, and the only time he doesnt do it is if he is tired and sleeping after a few hours at the dog park.

What we have tried:

Having him in the car with my other dog (6 y/o Boxer)

Having him on the front seat so I can pet/comfort him

Constantly take him on rides to try and show him there is nothing to be anxious of. Usually go for a ride 4 - 5 times a week. even if it is just down to the mailbox or the gas station.

It really makes me sad because I love having a dog that wants to jump in the truck and go for a ride down the road or out to run short errands. But I'm getting to the point I dont want him in my truck anymore because it always ends with me cleaning the back doors, windows, seats and drying him off.

Any tips you all can offer? I know I'm the new guy here and this is my first post.
juicedgr95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2011, 02:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

yes anxiety, my b/t GSD Meika does that and has since 7wks old. first she would vomit in the car, then it was panting, drooling all over my car now she is 6 yrs old and it is excessive whining ( even on a 5 hr drive). I started crating her in the car and that helped. My black GSD is a total car dog, no problems.
krystyne73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2011, 02:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

I tried those dog calm tablets and liquids that my vet suggested but I never saw results. Did your vet offer any advice?
krystyne73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2011, 02:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Both my current GSD's did it too and it just eventually went away over time. I just kept taking them out. Making the rides have fun destinations. NOT making a big deal about it and just knowing eventually it would get better.

And it did!
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2011, 02:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

Regen did this too, but she usually threw up when she was drooling (she drooled on every ride, but lots of drool - barfing dog).
It was a sign of anxiety, it went away after 4 months. Short car rides to really fun places (hikes, pet store for a treat, etc) really helped, but ginger snaps made of real ginger also seemed to calm her stomach a little at the very beginning, given 10-20 minutes before the ride.
We also had Regen eat her dinner in the back of the car a couple of times (while the car was still in the garage) and would give her treats with the car running, but parked in the driveway.
Now she loves the car most of the time, on a bad anxiety day she'll still drool.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

good to hear at least someone has had success of them growing out of it. The vet recommended frequent rides. I have not tried the calming pills yet, but have also heard others say they haven't had any luck.... honestly haven't heard anyone say they did work lol.

Trips are always fun, to the park, friends/family houses where he loves to play. He even loves the vet still after losing his 'manhood' there. I dont think we have had a negative experience after or during a car ride.

I was really hoping the comfort of the other dog being in there with him would have worked.

I am going to try the ginger snaps, although he has only thrown up once and that was when we left within 30 minutes of him eating. Otherwise he doesnt throw up, just drools.

Unfortunately I really think my next step is going to be a travel crate in the back seat.

Last edited by juicedgr95; 01-26-2011 at 02:55 PM.
juicedgr95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2011, 02:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Frequency helped cure mine. Short trips. Window open. I am guilty of letting my dog put her head out the window. Mine started out VERY afraid and it took a week to get her out of the passenger side footwell, then another week to get her to look up ..... etc. In total it took about a month for her to be comfortable on short rides.
She has been great for about a year but now gets antsy on occasion. Usually she is more calm when going to someplace and gets itchy on the ride home.
PaddyD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2011, 03:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

Ridley does this too . . . he's the first dog we've had that did this. He's also thrown up once in the car - another first. I know he gets anxious about being in the car and we're just trying to help him get used to it by taking frequent short trips with him. I spent 45 minutes the other day just coaxing him into the car. Sometimes he hops right in.

Rex was happiest in the car. He'd jump in every chance he got and you could not get him out without at least a short drive around the cul-de-sac.

Ridley 2010
Rennie 2006
Rex 2000 - 2010
Retta 1993 - 2006
smdaigle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2011, 05:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

I would call your dog into the car and just talk to him or give him some easy commands and give him treats After 6 times of doing that I would drive around the block only 1 time and gradually increase the length of the ride.

He first needs to learn the car can be fun and take it from there. good luck
ZAYDA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2011, 05:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Well, Rosa still does this some at nearly two years old. But it is better than it used to be and she no longer throws up in the car. I always try to drive carefully (no zooming around corners or braking fast) with her in mind. I try not to feed her for at least an hour before getting in the car, but also not on an empty stomach or she'll throw up bile.
Good_Karma is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.