She walks so close to me I keep tripping! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2011, 01:18 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default She walks so close to me I keep tripping!

Hey guys! Brand new to this board, just bought a GSD as a late Christmas surprise for my fiance. I've had her down here in Virginia with me for a few days now while Im working, heading home to New Hampshire next week.

She's an amazing dog, but whenever we go for walks she seems to stand so close to me that I keep tripping over her! I know there are much worse things to complain about If thats the worst I need to deal with I suppose I can handle it. She's a great dog and walks on the leash real well, doesnt pull much and I can pretty much direct her by very lightly pulling the leash the way I want to go. And she automatically sits as soon as we stop walking, until we're ready to go again. Very well behaved...just wondering if theres a reason why she feels the need to practically be under my feet when we walk, and if theres a way to correct that?
Blstr88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2011, 08:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I suspect she's just happy to have a home with you.

At a year and a half old, I'm sure she's large enough for you to see her (I trip over puppies a lot). When she's blocking your way, just stop and say "doggie move" in a calm voice. If she doesn't get out of your way, try to gently guide her out of your path. You will have to repeat this a couple of dozen times before she gets it, probably.

Balto is always in my way as I move around in the morning doing usually morning stuff, and this morning I've had to tell him to move 3 times already.
BlackPuppy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2011, 10:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

That's why they're called 'velcro dogs'! I saw a video on one of the threads, I can't remember which one now, that really worked for me. The guy had his dog on a leash but let it hang loose and kind kind of wandered around with the dog. When the dog wasn't focusing on him, he would gently walked into the dog quietly saying 'move, move' and naturally the dog would move out of the way. I did this several times with mine and if anyone's watching they'll think you're nuts, but it helped a lot. Stosh still stands right in the way of anywhere I want to go but he does move when I tell him to. Congrats on the new pup! What's her name?
Stosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2011, 06:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

I trip all the time over my dogs too. I almost fell down the stairs one time..I'd rather it be me then step on them and hurt them. The things we do for our kids....
Pita: Cavalier July 2011
Lesley1905 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2011, 06:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I just bump them with my knees. Not hard enough to hurt them, but enough to know they're in the way.

At the Bridge:
Cash van der Animal Shelter 2006-2010
Emoore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2011, 07:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Get used to it I trip over my girl at least a dozen times a day, she regularly removes my flip flops when she's walking behind me, and is never more than a few feet away from me at any given time unless she is in her crate. GSD's are just like that
Zoeys mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2011, 07:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoore View Post
I just bump them with my knees. Not hard enough to hurt them, but enough to know they're in the way.
Me too. It's a German Shepherd thing.
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2011, 08:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoeys mom View Post
Get used to it I trip over my girl at least a dozen times a day, she regularly removes my flip flops when she's walking behind me, and is never more than a few feet away from me at any given time unless she is in her crate. GSD's are just like that
mine is like that to. I took her to my grandparents for the first time, ive only had her five days now, and my grandparents could not believe how attached to me she is. I cant move with out her getting up to see what i am doing. She even wakes up periodically during the night to make sure im still there and haven't snuck away. she will constantly walk on my right side with her head slightly bent towards me, even without a lease.
JessiRyan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2011, 11:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

If your dog gets in the way on a walk, you can either bump her with your knees, step on her toes if they are in the way, or use your foot to bump her legs if she's in front of you, and then act all happy and praise her because it's her fault and you don't want her to blame you for it.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

Haha thanks guys! Yeah I dont get the sense its a bad thing on her part really, probably just wants to be near and isnt realizing how in the way she is.

I do notice though, she likes to stay on my left side mostly. And shes constantly drifting to the right almost kinda "pushing" me that way. I might need to bring her in for a front wheel alignment

Today I just picked a straight line in front of me and i STUCK TO IT. She was bumping into my left leg kinda but I just kept walking dead straight, keeping her in line with me.

Again, I dont know if thats some sort of "bad behavior" that I should do something about ASAP? I've read a lot of things about dogs "testing the waters" to see if the owner is really the "alpha leader" and all...does this sound like it might be along those lines?

If I stretch my arm (left arm, if shes on my left side, holding the leash) out to the left and kinda pull her head to the left lightly she generally steers that way, but then a few seconds later she's pulling to the right again...
Blstr88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.