When does protective instinct kick in? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2010, 08:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default When does protective instinct kick in?

I know i've read about this on the forum but I can't find it. My question is: Generally, at what age does the male pup begin to seriously display his need to protect his family? If I remember correctly, I read approximately 9 months of age but I'm not sure. My Kain is quickly approaching 9 months (3 more weeks) and I need to know if I need to be extra vigilant during the next few weeks to avoid any biting/lunging incidents with guests. Kain is a very socialized pup and accepts house guests pretty well but someone on here stated that a 'switch is flipped' in their brains when they hit this magic age. Any info would be great. Thanks!
RazinKain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2010, 08:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I think it depends on the dogs threshold level and the way you've managed and trained whether or not the reactive behaviors even begin. Genetics play a role in it as well.
My male is almost 22 months and shows suspicion, but not actively reacting to sounds, people coming and going. He assesses situations before anything and generally never reacts, but definately has it in him. I consider him medium threshold but it depends on the situation too.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I've never seen or heard of any switch flipping. So long as your dog is socialized and friendly to guests now, there is no reason for that to change.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

Randomly biting and lunging at guests has nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing, with a "need to protect his family". Any dog that randomly starts agressing towards people without giving you warning behaviors is "off".

I've said it before but I'll say it again. Very, very, very few dogs have some kind of natural urge to protect and are willing to back it up with teeth. A loyal, well behaved dog is a deterrent. Nothing more.
rvadog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2010, 09:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The switch is a fear stage for the most part, a pup will go thru a reactive period around 9 months. But as I posted above genetics and training play a role in whether or not that ever happens...and I agree it isn't "protectiveness" at all, but usually based in fear.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

My dog started acting like a watch dog at 6 months. She is excellent at barking when strangers approach the house and she is instantly friendly when people come inside. She can be quite scary to people who don't know her but they are immediately won over by her wags when we tell her everything is OK.
PaddyD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2010, 10:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Lucy turns 3 in March and she shows absolutely no protective type behavior at all. The only thing she'd protect me from is a squirrel and that's it. Other than that, no protectiveness.

Forget what you see in movies or on tv, if you want a protective dog, you're probably going to have to do some kind of protection training.
Lucy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2010, 10:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Dog View Post
Lucy turns 3 in March and she shows absolutely no protective type behavior at all. The only thing she'd protect me from is a squirrel and that's it. Other than that, no protectiveness.

If you want a protective dog, you're probably going to have to do some kind of protection training.

As she should....those squirrels can be dangerous!! Hehe thats so cute

I agree with what everyone is saying above!
Pita: Cavalier July 2011
Lesley1905 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2010, 10:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesley1905 View Post
As she should....those squirrels can be dangerous!! Hehe thats so cute
Oh yes... those very dangerous squirrels. She sits by the window for hours where she can see the entire backyard and just waits for them to even dare to enter her yard. As soon as they do, her bark alone shakes the entire house. It's actually kind of scary how determined she is to get one, but i'm an animal lover and I'd never allow it. I'll let her out, but i always give the squirrels a head start before i actually let her go. They're always halfway over the fence before she's even out of the house. Even saying the word "squirrel" will get her going nuts.
Lucy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2010, 10:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

My husbands old dog was the exact same way with those little critters. It's so funny how something so small can stir the pot for them!
Pita: Cavalier July 2011
Lesley1905 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.