suddenly peeing in the house - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2010, 04:26 PM   #21 (permalink)

Lets see if explaining from a different point of view helps (Im a friend)

She was not mad at him prior to him peeing. It is not submissive/fear based peeing. He went up to get his bone as he always does after eating his dinner and he always lays on the landing to chew his bone. For the first time, yesterday he peed on the landing where he always lays to chew his bone. She did not get mad at him until he was caught in the act of peeing in the house for the second time in about a weeks time.

I do believe (assuming there isnt another trigger, she DID have him tested for a UTI and it came back negitive) that it could be him marking in the house (as she mentioned her 17 year old male does go in the house and has been getting worse).
"Marking is related to (and normally caused by) dominance issues. It is a training issue, or lack there of."
(Star sprayed for the first time at least in the house - General Dog Discussions)

I had a similar situation with my male (bully breed) and my female (lab). I normally do not allow my lab in my room but one day I allowed her in. My male was just laying there not seeming bothered by her being in the room so I went about what I was doing. Looking back she was clearly trying to take over the room and finally my male had enough and he peed (he is NOT a marker, hes 20 months and still squats to pee, though recently has showed some mounting behavior to my female -who prior was the dominant one- and hes covering her pee -but only hers, while still squatting) on the floor of my room. Now I take credit for that as I should have caught on quicker to my females behavior in my room. My male tolerated it for a while and finally handled it himself when I did not correct her behavior (both of them come to me when they need something done. My male is definitely becoming the more dominant one when outside playing and when my female needs a break from his rough playing/biting instead of getting snarky with him she comes to me and I make them take a break- just an example)

So I think Dodger could be having an issue with dominance as my friend stated. He is a strong willed dog and is definitely the dominant one of her 3.
Harleys Momma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2010, 10:07 PM   #22 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Dominance schmominance.

I had for 15 years the dog I posted about - he could dominate anyone or anything. He never had to mark to show his territory - it WAS his territory.

But marking can be marking without being dominant towards me.

I have had my own pack and foster dogs and the only times dogs have peed in my house - with me as a mostly benevolent leader are because of -

1. Drinking lots of water and not pottying when they were outside because they were busy playing, sniffing, etc. (oh, that's crazy - peeing because you have to pee bad and can't open a door because you have no thumbs!)

2. UTI - not always diagnosed on first urine sample (you also need to check blood)

3. Excitement

4. Fear

5. Covering another dog's pee (in my example) not as dominance, just oh, here, that doesn't smell quite right, now that smells good

6. Incontinence

If my dogs have some kind of hidden take over the house agenda, I haven't stumbled on to it. My dogs are not for a beginner either.

My guess is if they do have a plan, it's going to be about food more than urine!

Definitely look at the situation. Take away that frame of thought and look at it clearly.
JeanKBBMMMAAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 02:53 PM   #23 (permalink)

I have had to block off areas where my dog urinates. Try going outside when the dog pees and giving her a treat to remind her she needs to pee outside
DOGLOVER25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 02:59 PM   #24 (permalink)

This thread is over 2 years old.

Raven (GSD) - December 8, 2007
Kaiser (GSD) - November 2009
Holly (GSD) - March 24, 2011
Best Paw Forward
Champ's Fund
gsdraven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.