Does your dog hate/fear a particular person? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2010, 11:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Does your dog hate/fear a particular person?

Luke is 4 years old and he does the oddest thing. He absolutely fears (dislikes?) one specific person we know. First, he's an odd duck in that he's a bit too robust in his greetings when anyone comes over. He's an in-your-face greeter. Loud barks, then he quickly runs to find a toy to bring the guests to play keep away. Same routine every single time, no matter who comes over. He's the same with men and women. Then, after the initial bark, he'll eventually come to the person for pets or gives them a lick on the face. Except for one friend. His reaction is so extreme. She comes over and he barks nonstop at her. If I show him the spray bottle, he'll back off. But then he'll stay as far away from her as possible, and yesterday he did something he's never done, he went upstairs by himself and stayed there for an hour or so. We were all downstairs. If she walks to him, talking sweetly, he barks and backs off and will run into the back yard. He won't take treats from her. He'll even do that thing where he will peek back around the corner at her. There's absolutely nothing wrong with her. She's a total animal lover and has had huge dogs and currently has cats. Our other dogs love her. We thought we had a breakthrough the other evening. I'd had enough, so another friend and I sat with her on the living room floor and sort of patted her and tried to entice Luke to come to us. He balked and barked and ran, but after about 15 minutes or so, he cautiously came over, several times and even liked her face once. He also seemed to sort of butt her a little with his snout, but I'm not sure of that. He doesn't growl or seem to threaten to bite. (He's not vicious, seriously, but at 120 pounds, he's intimidating.) When she came to take photos of the three dogs a couple of months ago, each time she came closer, he would sort of bark and puff out his cheeks and blow like a horse. Anyway, after our "breakthrough" the other day, I thought it would help, but when she came by yesterday, it was the same thing all over again and that's when he went upstairs. I suppose we can pet her and play that game each time she comes over. Anyone have a dog who behaves this way toward one person? Thanks.
Whitedog404 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2010, 11:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Rogue fears my Dad and he hates my Aunt.

Sinister loves everyone and he doesn't fear anyone or anything.

Biff is friendly towards everyone, he acts tough but he scares easily.
Old 11-26-2010, 11:38 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to ba1614

My last boy(big red Dobe I had for 12yrs), couldn't stand one "acquaintance" of ours, and sure enough my GSD girl shares the same opinion of him. Probably my fault though as I don't think highly of him, and wouldn't lose any sleep if I never saw him again.
ba1614 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2010, 11:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I can't think of one particular person but in general Stosh can't stand teenage boys. Anytime one tries to pet him, he puts his fur up and backs away.
Stosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2010, 12:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
I can't think of one particular person but in general Stosh can't stand teenage boys. Anytime one tries to pet him, he puts his fur up and backs away.
Stosh, are you working on this?

Reason I'm asking is there are some people Kelly does the same thing with. I'm working on this and wonder if there is anything you're doing that's working you could share with me.

Thanks.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

No I really haven't tried anything. It's usually in a setting like a store or someplace where we're not going to be for very long. He's really big so when it's obvious he doesn't want someone to touch him they don't try a second time. Not sure what I should do or if I should do anything about it.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Not sure what I should do or if I should do anything about it.
Considering how much of our training is based on positive reinforcement, would/could not doing anything be seen by the dog as condoning/promoting that specific behavior? And could that behavior than exacerbate into genuine aggression towards that group of people?

* I'm just asking, not judging
No Imagination is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2010, 12:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You're probably right because I haven't corrected him or tried to change how he was reacting. Maybe next time it happens I'll see if the kid will give Stosh a few treats and see how he reacts to that.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

I correct Luke when he does it. I do believe that if we had this friend over everyday for a while and worked with him, he'd eventually stop. I think...
Whitedog404 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2010, 12:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
No I really haven't tried anything. It's usually in a setting like a store or someplace where we're not going to be for very long. He's really big so when it's obvious he doesn't want someone to touch him they don't try a second time. Not sure what I should do or if I should do anything about it.
I see. Well, I'm taking it really slow. She has no issues with anyone that's ignoring her and talking to me. After this, she's okay with greeting. That's my approach. Give her time, and discourage people from walking up on her fast but still working on socialization overall by discouraging and correcting anything that remotely resembles fear aggression. I think you have to lead and let them know you are there to protect them, not the other way around, IMHO.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.