spaying a female - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2010, 08:56 AM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to cristofa
Default spaying a female

wat is the difference in behavour of a spayed female german shepherd? I havent got mine done yet i would like to find out more before i do so
cristofa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2010, 04:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

Mine was spayed about 2 mos. ago and I don't see any difference.
Don
DonP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2010, 06:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It is hard to say behaviorwise.

They sometimes suggest neutering a male for behavior or aggression issues, but never a female.

There was a study that indicated that females tended to be more reactive when spayed. And if you have a female that is reactive, spaying can actually make her moreso.

If you have more than one bitch and want to avoid hormone-related issues between bitches, maybe it is a good move. Once bitches do fight -- really fight, I do not think hormones play much of a part in keeping it alive though. But usually if my girls get nasty at all, it is when one or the other or both are coming into season. Best to just keep them separated then.

Females have a hormone that is released that actually will calm down situations. With a ovarihysterectomy this hormone is no longer produced, and so it can make bitches seem even more aggressive or reactive.

I have yet to hear of bitches that have gone in to be spayed who have not had these issues, come out with issues though. So, I would not worry about negative consequences in behavior or temperament due to a spay, unless you are already having issues.

I have heard of a young bitch being trained as a police dog who showed a lot of promise, they spayed her, and she lost interest, and was eventually dropped from the program. Often bitches will put on weight after a spay.

I have had a mongrel bitch spayed at about a year of age and she was just as energetic and amiable after the fact as before, other than stomach cancer surgery at 18 months, she have almost no health problems, and we put her down at 14.

I had one older bitch spayed at 6.5 years. She had a bladder infection, then checked low thyroid, and died at 8.5 years from hemangiosarcoma. She had no behavioral or temperament changes from being spayed. On her last day, she bounded out into the field and I thought how she resembled Joy the puppy bounding around.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2010, 08:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have had 3 females in my adult life and all have been rescues, therefore they have all been spayed. I have never noticed any difference in behavior before and after. My first dog did gain some weight but she was a lazy dog by nature so I didn't attribute it to the spay.
Willow - GSD, 5 yrs, CGC
cshepherd9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2010, 11:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Jessiewessie99 Send a message via Yahoo to Jessiewessie99 Send a message via Skype™ to Jessiewessie99

We got Molly spayed and she was just as hyper and lovable as she was before the spay.

Molly-GSD ✔ Certified Ninja Dog
Tanner-GSD ✔ Certified Lovebug
RIP:
Max & Simba
"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible."-George Chakiris, as said by Agent Derek Mogan
Jessiewessie99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.