self chewing, bald spots - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2010, 06:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default self chewing, bald spots

My dog is 8 months old and he has recently started to chew on both sides and it is progressively getting thinner and thinner. I took him out of his crate after being in there for 2 hours and noticed the one side got bigger.
Is it because of boredom?
or is it something more serious?
Attached Thumbnails
self chewing, bald spots-_dsc0021.jpg   self chewing, bald spots-_dsc0024.jpg  
peedo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2010, 07:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Take him to the vet. What are you feeding him?
I wouldn't take the vets advice if they want to put him on a prescription diet, just go with a good quality no grain or limited ingredient kibble(transition slowly) than the stuff they push on you...Wellness, Orijen or Blue Buffalo to name a few. No science diet or Iams.
Could be hot spots, allergies, ringworm or a puppy mange(though I'd think hot spots or allergies) Are you giving salmon oil? Human grade 2000mg daily with a vitaminE(400iu) along with about 1000mg vitamin C will help your pup get over his skin issues. But vet check first to rule out other issues.
Karlo had a spot in the same area(one side only) and it was from pollen. He has grown back the coat, but as a dk. sable it was light colored for a couple months til the outercoat grew back.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

We have a foster dog who recently started this too -- within the last 4 -6 weeks. We have not been able to identify for sure, but leaning towards a beef allergy. He started his H/W preventative on May 1 -- all was fine until he had his second dose. He had so much hair loss and horrible itching/chewing a vet visit was in order. On recommendation of the vet with all factors considered, we decided to start with the beef. When checking other things (cookies, treats, etc) we had major beef happening.

We did pull him off all beef related things, and switched his H/W to Revolution and put him on a fish based food (NB ). So far so good, no more hair is missing (there was A LOT) and it seems to be starting to grow back a little with the itchies subsiding.

Potential allergies are a tough one, you may have to try a few things.

Last edited by gsdmi; 07-06-2010 at 07:32 PM. Reason: added vet visit
gsdmi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2010, 09:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

I agree it isnt easy to narrow down specifics via email... and sometimes you have to try a few things. If you arent all ready on grainfree food, it made a HUGE difference for my dog who had both flea itchiness and hot spots/alergies. He has not had a single hot spot for 4 years now, he smells good, and his itchiness is very low. He also had a flea reaction and for a while I used both an oral and a topical flea preventative. Good luck in finding the combination that works for your dog.

Norse Magic vom Kriegershaus "Rune" (Dec 08)
Kriegershaus Scout vom Haus Rauch (Dec 12)
At the Bridge: Magnus (1998-2010)
lylol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2010, 10:50 AM   #5 (permalink)

Default This is what I feed him...

I feed him per day:
~1.35 lbs of chicken necks or quarters or turkey necks
~1.35 lbs of beef hearts or chicken hearts or gizzards
~1 fish oil pill 1000mg
~2 Tbs flax seed meal

For occasional snacks:
2 cups of yogurt or
1 bananas or
1 apples

He has been on the this diet since late April 2010.

Treats:
Dried Chicken

Meds:
We give him Ester C once in a while.
Heartgard once a month
No Frontline or anything similar, we just use neems oil(almost daily) and sometime we spray him with Vet's Best Flea Itch Relief (smells like cloves) and the shampoo. We also change it up with oatmeal shampoo. We give him a wash once a month.

We have an appointment today with the Vet so hopefully I can get this resolved soon.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default After the Vet visit

I took Lobo to the vet and they did a skin scrap. The test came back negative for any parasites. They concluded that it is allergies but another doctor says that it may be signs of demodetic mange so he prescribed Goodwinol ointment. I put it on the areas he tends to bite and scratch and it seems to have reduced the itching. They also have me give him 50mg Benadyl/day for his allergies. I hope his fur grows back soon.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peedo View Post
I took Lobo to the vet and they did a skin scrap. The test came back negative for any parasites. They concluded that it is allergies but another doctor says that it may be signs of demodetic mange so he prescribed Goodwinol ointment. I put it on the areas he tends to bite and scratch and it seems to have reduced the itching. They also have me give him 50mg Benadyl/day for his allergies. I hope his fur grows back soon.
I took my boy to the vet because he had hair loss around his eye and mouth, everyone on this board told me it was demodex mange. My vet told me that it was allergies and also gave me the ointment and Benadryl (cost me about $125) and when I asked if it could be mange, she told me no because mange doesn't start on the face. Well a couple days later nothing was getting better so I went back and demanded a skin scrape be done, well surprise! He had demodex mange! I then had to give him a oral injection of medicine to cure it, almost $700 later, he is mange free.

Did they give me a refund when they claimed it wasn't mange and gave me different meds? NO, they did not.

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ male Dalmatian 6.30.13
LaRen616 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2010, 01:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

If you are treating with benadryl and an ointment then you really don't know which is working. If it's an allergy then the benadryl is dealing with it but as soon as you take him off, or he builds a tolerance to it and he will eventually, then things will go right back to where they were. If it's mange, then the ointment will clear it up and be done with it.

Personally, I would start with an elimination diet. I would feed only chicken to start for a 3-4 weeks. Then I would move to a different protein. I think it would take that long to really see if one protein over another is a problem. Or take him to a allergist and get him tested for food allergies.

I see you feed mostly chicken. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems alot of dogs have allergies to chicken? IMO, I think they need more variety. I try to feed a minimum of 5 different proteins. I feed fish, chicken, duck, turkey, beef, pork and lamb. Sometimes it's hard to find a good variety but I'm slowly finding sources.
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.