Where do your dogs sleep and why? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2010, 10:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Where do your dogs sleep and why?

Our older dog sleeps on the bedroom floor in her own dog bed and I imagine that's where Jax will when he's done his crate training also.
I have friends that insist that dogs should sleep in their people's bed because they'll bond better.
I'll admit, I know his crate should be in our bedroom, but if that were the case, I would have gouged my own eyes out by now from the crying at night. When he does calm down, his crate will be in the bedroom with the rest of the pack and I don't really have any complaints about his level of bonding with us... We've had him for 5 weeks and he's long identified us as his family and always returns to me or my bf at the park without being called after chasing or investigating something and is very loving and cuddly when not chewing on us
Are we psychologically damaging him by "locking him in a cage in the basement" at night? (it's actually the ground floor of then house but you get the picture).
Jax's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2010, 10:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Sinister sleeps in his crate next to my bed.
Usually he is locked in his crate because he rips my carpet up when I sleep but for the past 3 weeks I have been leaving his crate open and he lays by my door or he'll lay in his crate. So far he hasn't tried to eat the carpet
Old 04-30-2010, 10:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

Nellie is crate trained but has earned the right to sleep with us. She sleeps in the bed with me and my B|F. Why? Ummm.....cause she is spoiled.

Ace still sleeps in his crate. We rescued him at 6 months so he came with some "bad manners". He likes to eat anything made of wood. But his crate is right next to our bed. He can take naps with us out of the crate but for a long nights sleep he gets crated.

No matter how bad my day has been.... coming home to them makes it all better.

My Kids:
Nellie -3 yr old GSD & Ace -2 yr old GSD
GSD MOM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2010, 10:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Our dogs sleep on the floor (have their own beds) in our bedroom. I have never allowed them to sleep in our bed, that's for DH and me. I love them, but I don't think that has to extend to our sharing our "space" with them.

Anja SchH3 GSD
Conor GSD
Blue BH WH T1 GSD - waiting at the Bridge
Anja1Blue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2010, 11:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

Our dogs sleep on their own beds in our bedroom. Well, Tora does anyway. Max likes to move around. He'll start off on the rug by my husband's side of the bed, move out to just outside of the bedroom door, I'll hear him plop down on one of the beds in the family room, and sometimes when I have to get up in the middle of the night, I'll see him laying by the front door.

I don't like my dogs in the bed with me because I really like my space to stretch out when I'm sleeping and it's too hard to get covers out from under a sleeping dog.

And I don't believe that a dog that doesn't sleep in the bed with you is any less bonded to you than one that does.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Wolfie sleeps in his crate in the family room. I think the bedroom is just for me and hubby.
Wolfiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2010, 11:10 AM   #7 (permalink)

Zaidy sleeps in my kitchen; in a area next to my living room; the wood floors help if she has an accident (getting rare these days)... it's also very close to our front door; so she whines if she has to go potty; I don't think I'll allow her access to my master bedroom or the boys room once she's bigger; but every where else is fair game! The reason for this is; if she sleeps on carpet; the wood floor becomes her bathroom; if she sleeps on the wood floor; she'll potty outside... (No dog bed yet; she'll pee on it)
FLyMuSLiMa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2010, 11:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Hondo sleeps in his crate at night. He is way too big and loves to paw, especially when you least expect it. Mags, our Doxie sleeps at our feet on the bed. And Tug (Golden) likes it best outside.
Lilie is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2010, 12:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Shenzi sleeps in her locked crate right next to the bed. The reason for this is she is new to us and while I've witnessed her being excellent with cats I'm not willing to take the chance. The time will come when she can be loose(crate opened, she comes and goes as she wants) during the night but she will most likely always be crated while I am not home.
ShenzisMom is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2010, 12:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Sigurd sleeps in our bedroom, free roam (his crate is in the living room). He usually sleeps on the bed beside me or on my side of the bed, on the floor (he has a doggy bed but rarely sleeps on it these days). He's had free range since he was 5 or so months. I let him free-roam and sleep in our bedroom because I think we're all a family! I love to have him with me, and it's only at night that he likes to be close to me (during the day it seems like he could care less about me, unless I have a treat)... so I soak it up! :P
Sigurd's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.