Introducing Shepherd to cats - Page 6 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2014, 10:21 PM   #51 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I also had two opportunities (unplanned) to test my "dogs who live with and don't chase cats..don't chase cats" theory.

Yesterday I took Rocky for a walk he's next to me in a fenced yard, I see first one then another black cat behind the chain length fence. The cats freeze I watch Rocky waiting for a reaction... nothing ,zero nada!

Hmm well maybe he did'nt see them???

So today on a walk we go around the block, Rocky takes a dump, I bend down to clean it, notice his collar needs adjustment so I remove it and his leash and tell him to stay.

I'm on my knees cleaning up dog poo and I look at the neighbor's open gate!!! I see a large black cat again freezing in the open gate entry! This time we are 20 feet away, Rocky is off his leash and the cat is there exposed!

I look at Rocky...nothing, no reaction, he never moved. Course it's just a one dog sample so hardly representative but I'd be curious of others, cat trained dogs experiences?
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2014, 02:18 PM   #52 (permalink)

Im struggling a little with this (only I have a rottie) and the issue at first was not the dog.
The dog seemed to ignore the cat. Walked by her, didn't seem to care....and then the cat lost her **** mind and has decided this dog does not belong in her house.
And, as far as I can tell, has declared war on the dog.

This seems to have set the dog off too so now all they try to do is eat each other. I mean the cat full on runs AT the dog like a little furry whirling dervish making noises I didn't think cats could make. All claws and hair. No fear at all.
The dog is more than down for a fight now although thus far Ive pulled her off as soon as she pinned the cat to the floor (broke my toe and wrenched my shoulder in the process)...This only happened twice. The first time the cat attacked the dog and again yesterday. The second time the dog went after the cat (I was right there both times but it happens awfully fast!)
They're now separated by a room most of the time (the cat is locked in her own room) but Im not sure how to get them to just ignore each other or whatever.
As far as I can tell the cat is the instigator I just don't know how to get her to stop. They both want to kill each other now.
meldy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2014, 03:14 PM   #53 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Oh crap! Usually the introductions work by controlling the dog not the cat!!! Principle is still going to be the same. Dog needs to be non cat reactive.

Can I guess that the cat dog intro was not well planed? Was this dog every around cats? I'm guessing while the dog might not have gone after the cats, he might have been sending out bad vibes?

Needless to say the dog never should have been able " to pin the cat". Certainly not twice, dog is still new to you, "drag leash" should have been on her if other animals are involved.

Water under the bridge now I know but fill in the blanks..I think I have a plan!
Old 03-12-2014, 03:21 PM   #54 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18 View Post
Oh crap! Usually the introductions work by controlling the dog not the cat!!! Principle is still going to be the same. Dog needs to be non cat reactive.

Can I guess that the cat dog intro was not well planed? Was this dog every around cats? I'm guessing while the dog might not have gone after the cats, he might have been sending out bad vibes?

Needless to say the dog never should have been able " to pin the cat". Certainly not twice, dog is still new to you, "drag leash" should have been on her if other animals are involved.

Water under the bridge now I know but fill in the blanks..I think I have a plan!

The first intro I honestly was unprepared. My cat has been around a few dogs without issue. She's overly cocky and dogs, as a general rule, just don't know what to make of her so they tend to avoid her. Even my daughters lab who actually goes out of her way to eat cats avoids mine like the plague. The rottie seemed to be ignoring the cat when I first brought her home so I let them both be loose.
That didn't work. Since then they have only been together supervised. The second incident the dog was on a leash but she's probably 150lbs...Im not....she pulled me right over in her lunge under my kitchen table at the cat and managed to wrench my shoulder, my back is sore and I broke a toe somehow in the process.

The dog isn't used to cats. She's used to everything else and seemed to ignore the cat until the cat pulled her Tasmanian devil routine and now it's all out war.
meldy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2014, 01:30 AM   #55 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I saw it done on this show but I can't find the full episode!

Feed the cat and the dog with a solid door between them a bedroom maybe. You'll need a second person in the room with the cat.

You can just put the dog's food outside the door. The cat's food you need to see how close you can get the cat's bowl to the closed door. They can smell each other and that's the goal.

When you can get the cat to finally eat very close to the closed door then you can move to the next step a baby gate. Same deal once again and start over for distance, dog close and move the cat closer to the gate. Soon as they can eat close to each other then you can try feeding then in the same room.

When they can be in the same room I would feed the cat high and the dog low..and make sure the cat has save places when they are in the same room no point in pushing it!

Mostly what went wrong was you moved to fast, the dog was new the cat didn't trust him and unfortunately "that" cats first reaction was not to run!

So you have to build a relationship of trust between the two of them.

You also need to bond better with the dog. The dog should "stay" when you tell him to more obedience exercise games and bonding time required,

But a stay is out the window for this cat/dog situation so the door thing is a better option. Did I explain it well enough? Ask questions if your unsure.

I saw this on TV a couple of weeks ago but I can't find the full episode, My Cat from ****, is the show.

Also I guess it goes without saying, don't hold the cat in the dogs presence!
Old 04-20-2014, 03:16 PM   #56 (permalink)

My cat Patches reacted with hisses & growls when we first got our dog, Chase, he was a Dane/Lab mix. He passed a few days ago at 7 years old & we took in a 2 year old female GS.

Patches was NOT happy. It was a bit worse than when Chase moved in, but I believe she is grieving the loss on top of this new dog in the home. I have her in the spare bedroom with her cat tree, Chase's kennel & everything she needs. I even make visits to her to share the new dogs scent & play.

Storm, the newest addition was around cats before, but the cats just ran away from her. She barked at cats that were outdoors. I've grabbed a pillow case with the cats scent on it, gave it to Storm & her reaction was to curl up and sleep on it after sniffing.

Storm is still very unsure, we just got her yesterday, I don't want to actually have them meet again until Storm is okay around the house & Patches can have her time to grieve & get the scent down.

Just a few minutes ago, Storm opened the door to the room Patches is in, she got her nose in there, but Patches only puffed up (no growling or hissing this time). Blocking the door off later when we sleep.

I have an ecollar already, so I can use that.

Thanks for sharing all these tips, they will come in handy big time. Patches is the queen of the house, but she is a bit skiddish. I plan to lock her in our bedroom whenever we leave the house (she sleeps in the dresser drawer), so she'll be safe.
Lacey1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2014, 04:18 PM   #57 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacey1986 View Post
My cat Patches reacted with hisses & growls when we first got our dog, Chase, he was a Dane/Lab mix. He passed a few days ago at 7 years old & we took in a 2 year old female GS.

Patches was NOT happy. It was a bit worse than when Chase moved in, but I believe she is grieving the loss on top of this new dog in the home. I have her in the spare bedroom with her cat tree, Chase's kennel & everything she needs. I even make visits to her to share the new dogs scent & play.

Storm, the newest addition was around cats before, but the cats just ran away from her. She barked at cats that were outdoors. I've grabbed a pillow case with the cats scent on it, gave it to Storm & her reaction was to curl up and sleep on it after sniffing.

Storm is still very unsure, we just got her yesterday, I don't want to actually have them meet again until Storm is okay around the house & Patches can have her time to grieve & get the scent down.

Just a few minutes ago, Storm opened the door to the room Patches is in, she got her nose in there, but Patches only puffed up (no growling or hissing this time). Blocking the door off later when we sleep.

I have an ecollar already, so I can use that.

Thanks for sharing all these tips, they will come in handy big time. Patches is the queen of the house, but she is a bit skiddish. I plan to lock her in our bedroom whenever we leave the house (she sleeps in the dresser drawer), so she'll be safe.
Post 8 just got a rescue:
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...allenging.html

That sounds pretty good the dog may have actually lived with cats? Sounds like you understand the general rules, get a better under understanding of your "new" dogs general behaviour let him settle in "just got a rescue" and let the cat roam.

Feeding one high and one low or a baby gate at the bedroom door and feed in front of each other can work also. Feeding in proximity but "not" together!
Old 07-04-2014, 12:39 AM   #58 (permalink)

4 months ago, I was writing about how my 2-year old GSD "Ruger" wanted to eat my cat Kilia. He would jump at her, lunge at her, bark insanely, jump up against doors and windows trying to get at her. He would literally stare at her and drool. He has a very high prey drive.

4 months later, and after some strict disciplining with Ruger, here's where we are. Still, to this day, when he sees a cat, he whines and whimpers, his breathing gets deep and heavy, and the hairs on his shoulders bristle and and stand up. A quick pinch of his ears and a "CUT THAT OUT! LEAVE THE KITTY!" and he turns his attention elsewhere.

scottkeen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2014, 12:51 AM   #59 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Sounds good and great progress but don't relax, it appears that he's good with "your" cat. My guys don't "react" to any cat.

It seems you have a firm handle on it. Here's another approach from Jason Galaxy...My Cat From **** guy.

Introducing Dogs and Cats | Jackson Galaxy

Not my approach but it may work for some.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:12 AM   #60 (permalink)

Just wanted to give everyone hope who is trying to do what they can to get the GSD and their cats to get along.

When I first got Ruger my GSD, he wanted to eat cats. He would bark, snarl, and lunge at cats. I remember him jumping up against my glass patio door standing up and pounding his front legs against the glass door barking viciously at my cat on the other side. My poor cat was terrified and didn't come home for a month.

3 months after, Ruger and my cat are sleeping in the same room together. A month later I decided to foster a cat who was on death row because she had a cold, when I got the call from a cat rescue person.

Ruger has really taken to this sick kitty! He licks her all over and she's not afraid of my 90-lb dog. See the video.

Ruger licking Mama Bear - YouTube
scottkeen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.