What's the best way to calm her down? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2009, 07:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Default Re: What's the best way to calm her down?

you said you were taking Lexi to your Mom's house all of the time untill last month. Lexi is now 6 months old. from the time you've been taking Lexi to your Mom's untill now why haven't you be able to train her how to behave at your Mom's house????
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2009, 08:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Christian, like Lexi, it sounds like Marshall needs to burn energy. Also, are you giving him something to do while you're there? A chew (like a bully stick) or a toy can occupy him. Most people will tolerate a squeaking toy more than a whining dog ( esp a GSD whose whine tends to be sooo annoying... )

Riley's mom brings up the idea of leashing your dog. I'm a huge fan of tethering pups (and yes, 1.5 yrs is still very much a pup.), but we have to give them something to do while they're tethered. I'll tether them to heavy furniture (the leg of the sofa is often perfect) or often, myself. I bring a rug or a blanket for them to lie on. And I give them something to occupy them.

If your pup hasn't learned "go to your rug" (which also means "and stay there") start working on that at home, your yard, office, training facility, wherever is feasible.

http://ahimsadogtraining.com/blog/cr...-dogs-puppies/ sort of explains "go to your rug" except that I train it with a lot more treats. I want The Rug to be a magical special place where treats and toys appear, and nothing bad ever happens. My dogs aren't told to sit, lie down or stay (which means my dog can't move from a specific position). They just have to be On The Rug. We generalize this so there is no one Ideal Rug. Any blanket, pad or rug I put down is The Rug at that time. And it's always a great place to be.

Combining tethering with The Rug is particularly helpful for furry youngsters, especially when visiting others. At first, I stay nearby to continue making the rug a great place to be (providing treats or a new toy now and then, and also specifically rewarding "good quiet" ), and to ensure no one is enticing my pup to leave his area (kids and other dogs are notorious for this), or bothering him.

After my pup gets used to this, he's used to chilling out at someone else's home. I've provided him with TONS of physical exercise before I've arrived. I take him into the house on a leash, put him on a rug and leave him there for a while. No emotional greetings from your friends and family who want to see the puppy. (Explain to them that you're trying to teach him that he's not the center of the universe. )

Then, once everyone's almost forgotten he's there, I disconnect the tether, walk him around the house and/or yard on leash, and with the help of the owner, introduce him to the other dogs in the yard. They're free to play, outside where it's appropriate. At any time he gets too wild, back to his rug. It's a great place to be, not a punishment. He just needs to chill again.

Eventually, the pup learns there's one way to get freedom. That's by behaving appropriately. Some pups get there faster than others. But they do learn it. As long as we're consistent (and make our friends and family be consistent), they learn it.

You don't even have to be particularly "tough" on your pup. I think this is just a matter of setting up a structure that he's destined to succeed in: 1. exercise ahead of time; 2. a safe comfortable place to hang out in with toys and chews to occupy him 3. a few reasonable boundaries and rules.

Good luck!
3K9Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2009, 04:23 AM   #13 (permalink)
Elite Member

Nissa is a whiner, too. Ignoring the whine is the key to stopping the whine. The more I ignore Nissa when she whines, the less she whines. Problem is me being human and sometimes short on patience. One whine to many and I snap and there goes the work on igoring. But at least I can say that ignoring Nissa's whining DOES work. It's not immediate, but over time she's become less and less of a whiner.

I unknowingly started her whining behavior during housebreaking. She was an absolute hopeless case for that for the longest time and I was at my wits end. One day she came and sat down beside me and whined for the very first time. I figured (translation hoped like heck!) she was trying to tell me she needed out so that's what she got. Therefore, she translates whining into getting something she wants from that day forward. I didn't put 2+2 together that I'd created this monster until I saw the topic brought up on the Dog Whisperer.
http://www.furkidswebsites.com web sites for Rescues, Shelters and Pets
Riley's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2009, 08:14 AM   #14 (permalink)

No, she didn't act this way before, when she was smaller. She would be happy/excited yes, but not tear around like a maniac the way she does now. Before she would run to both of the other dogs, kiss them, and play with the mini pin (she'd attempt to play with the Rat Terrier but he'd just snap and growl at her). The mini pin, when Lexi was younger would run and play with her and kiss her. Now the mini pin is afraid of Lexi. So I'm actually wondering if part of the problem is that Lexi is trying like mad to get these two dogs to play with her and is frustrated when they won't. Like I said she ONLY acts like this at my moms house, that's what I can't figure out!

Beth
Old 03-05-2009, 08:20 AM   #15 (permalink)
Master Member

Thanks for the suggestions! I browsed through the article you mentioned, but I don't believe in clicker training however...just my opinion.

Marshall knows "go to bed" at home, which means a nice comfortable, quiet rest in his crate (door open), but I've never trained with a rug or blanket and moved it to different locations in the house or even to someone else's house. I will definitely create a new command and try that suggestion, along with pooping him out with a long game of fetch before we go.

He's made tons of progress since he was younger (5-6 months) with calming down much quicker even without exercise...so I suspect that tiring him out directly before we go will be a great help.

Christian

The Brat Pack:

- GSD Marshall (10/2007)
- Adopted Collie/Terrier Jack (8/2008)

http://www.spacecatband.com

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix
darga19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2009, 08:35 AM   #16 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Quote: but I don't believe in clicker training however...just my opinion.
That comment is TOO funny! I love the clicker but haven't quite upped it to a religion yet.

Let me see........I'm having a problem with my dog. There is a method that is proven to work that is clear to the dog, a dog will understand, it's ALL positive based so there are no corrections or negatives....................... Oh, but it does mean the owner will (GASP ) have to READ up on something, learn something new, and then have to practice so they do it properly.

Clicker training DOES work. REally. It's proven over and over and over. And even if you decide not do to it the easiest and best way FOR YOUR DOG by using the clicker, and instead revert to the way that's easier FOR YOU, and use a marker word...........it's the philosophy and ideas behind clicker training that DOES work. Really.

Watch this crazy dog (click here) Guess how all her foundation training was done? CLICKER.

How about this dog heeling offleash at 6 months ( click here) Clicker trained.........

The best thing about us learning how to clicker train is it teaches us to get the dog to be a willing PARTNER in life as well in training. It teaches our pups to want to learn, want to interact and look for the next thing to do RIGHT rather than us just correcting when they do something wrong. This is a partnership I want with my dogs, and if it meant I needed to open up my mind and learn a new way to train that would benefit my dog, then so be it.

This video showing the partnership that this type of training gives our dogs is the best way I've seen it described:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfXGD4hP1Ro
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2009, 11:00 AM   #17 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: MaggieRoseLee
Quote:
Quote: but I don't believe in clicker training however...just my opinion.
That comment is TOO funny! I love the clicker but haven't quite upped it to a religion yet.

Let me see........I'm having a problem with my dog. There is a method that is proven to work that is clear to the dog, a dog will understand, it's ALL positive based so there are no corrections or negatives....................... Oh, but it does mean the owner will (GASP ) have to READ up on something, learn something new, and then have to practice so they do it properly.

Clicker training DOES work. REally. It's proven over and over and over. And even if you decide not do to it the easiest and best way FOR YOUR DOG by using the clicker, and instead revert to the way that's easier FOR YOU, and use a marker word...........it's the philosophy and ideas behind clicker training that DOES work. Really.

The best thing about us learning how to clicker train is it teaches us to get the dog to be a willing PARTNER in life as well in training. It teaches our pups to want to learn, want to interact and look for the next thing to do RIGHT rather than us just correcting when they do something wrong. This is a partnership I want with my dogs, and if it meant I needed to open up my mind and learn a new way to train that would benefit my dog, then so be it.
Chill out. I never said that it doesn't work...i just personally think the idea of carrying that clicker around is stupid. my dogs have learned EVERYTHING I've tried to teach them quickly and reliably, and I've never used a clicker. So you do it your way and I'll do it mine.

I'm not saying I know it all because I certainly don't, but I have read books on tons of topics and trained multiple dogs (for myself, family, and friends) with no problems. You CAN teach your dog to WANT to learn and learn well and happily by other methods than a clicker. For you to say that I didn't choose the stupid clicker because I don't want to work and read up on a new topic is complete ignorance on your part. You don't even know me...I work very hard with my dogs and I've never been one to take the easy way out. We work on training EVERY DAY. How judgmental and ignorant on your part. I'm completely confident that I could teach my dog a "go to your carpet" command easily and reliably without a clicker...just as I taught him everything else he knows.

I think you should check yourself and realize that there are many ways to train a dog. Not everyone has to adapt to your methods and way of thinking and training.

Good luck in life.

Christian

The Brat Pack:

- GSD Marshall (10/2007)

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix
Old 03-05-2009, 11:28 AM   #18 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Quote: i just personally think the idea of carrying that clicker around is stupid.
Now I'm sensing you are upset at me, and I'm sorry about that. I just cracked up when I read your post! Really.

I'm sure you've obtained high titles and have some of the top dogs in the USA in your training venue just as I have. So clearly you CAN have a top dog (you in obedience or Schut?) without the clicker.

I use a prong collar, and e-collar, and a clicker (not all at once ! ) so you have to see I agree with you. There are tons of ways to train!

But instead of poopooing a method and just arbitrarily deciding carrying a clicker is stupid (that is really funny) cracks me up! Hey, it's just a tool! A tool that works.

I personally hate carrying around a stupid stupid leash! I'd much rather have my dogs run around loose and listening to me. But does that mean there isn't a time or a place for a leash? Or that leashes don't work in training? Should I just stick to my 'NO LEASHES OR DEATH' philosophy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Down with leashes they take up my hands!!!

Clearly we can teach our dogs in many different ways. And when I started training years ago, trust me, I also thought a clicker was a ridiculous child's toy that I didn't need to train MY dog. Heck, I'd been doing this for years, how dare they try to teach me something new!

So how shocked was I to learn that maybe I could learn something new, for my dog. That would work, for my dog. That was easy, for my dog. And they loved! Why wouldn't I learn something like that (for my dog?)?

And I did. And everyone was right, there is a place for the clicker in my training. Along with all the other 'tools' (sigh, yes, I do use the dratted leash ).

So what I have learned in the past 15 years is that I can learn. THere are new and better ways. Dog training has evolved amazingly just in the years I've been doing it! So when I know better, I can do better. And my dogs sure appreciate it.

Sorry you are so upset, cause I'm not at all! I do appreciate your open mindedness and that you watched the videos and researched/tried the clicker before discarding it. That's all I ask. Is that people keep and open mind. Know dog training is at LEAST as much about training we handlers as it is about training the dog. And I can alway do better (click/treat, click/treat, click/treat)
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2009, 12:21 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master Member

Look...I'm not upset over here at all...lol...but the fact that you told me I didn't choose to do something because I was too lazy to read up on it was rather insulting. I don't claim to be a nationally recognized training guru like you...I'm not a professional by any means...but what I do works. You shouldn't tell people WHY they make the choices they do...I suspect you aren't a mind reader lol.

I'm sure a clicker works fine. But until my training fails on me and I need to search for a new way of doing something...why not stick with what works?? To me...just remembering to have that clicker handy all the time seems like it would be a pain in the butt. I don't think you're justified in saying that one method is better than another if they both work and the dogs are happily doing what you want them to do. I am one of the most open-minded people you will ever meet...believe me. I'll try anything once. But a good philosophy is if it ain't broke don't fix it. I don't see it as closed-mindedness to stick to what works...so far anyway.

Jeez...gotta love the online forum drama. lol.

Take care.

The Brat Pack:

- GSD Marshall (10/2007)

Old 03-05-2009, 07:15 PM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'm not a clicker person. I have specific reasons that I don't use it right now. But I KNOW clicker training is a superior training method. I've read up on it. I've seen dogs that have been clicker trained by good trainers, and it's amazing what they can accomplish.

The clicker works differently than words. It actually reaches into a different part of the dog's brain.

You ask "why not stick with what works?" My question is, why not try something that may very well work better?

You can drive a Ford Mustang, which is a nice fast car. Or you can drive a Ferrari.

The research is clear. Read up on it. Watch videos, and visit training classes. Then make your decision. In the end I urge owners to work whatever works best for THEM and THEIR DOG (which often varies with we do with each dog we own. Each of my three dogs gets trained slightly differently.). Owners should do what's best for their dogs whether it's diet, training method, or other approach (as long as it's reasonable and humane).

But I do urge people to be informed before they decide that any one approach definitely isn't for them.

And yeah, that includes ALL approaches. I when owners dismiss prong collars that seem to be the best approach for their dogs as much as clickers when training -- partly because what works best today with a pup may not work best tomorrow with a young adolescent, which may not work best with an older adolescent, which may not work at all with an adult. If something happens in a dog's life -- a trauma, like perhaps an attack -- that may require yet another approach. And sometimes, seniors need refreshing as well.

The more tools we have in our toolbox, the better owners we are. It really is as simple as that.

3K9Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.