Stop my puppy from eating his poop? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2009, 10:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Stop my puppy from eating his poop?

My 8 week old puppy has developed a nasty habit of eating his own poop.

Ive tried reading as much as I can and it seems that there can be a whole host of reasons why dogs eat their own poop.

Hes had worm medicine twice now and Ive never seen him poop any out so I dont think its that.
I feed him as much as he can eat in 20 minutes (which he usually stops before then) 3 times a day.
Im feeding him Wellness Super5Mix LB puppy food. Its the best food I could get without having to order it so I dont think hes short of nutrients or anything like that.

Long story short, one thing that comes up a lot is that apparently puppies just like to eat their own poop? They think it tastes good?

Ive read a lot of ways to try and stop them from doing it and I may try just feeding him some pineapple (its supposed to make their poop taste really bad?) but do you guys have any way that seems to work better?

Aside from the pineapple, Ive also read that you can pick it up right away (which will give me a cleaner yard) or even pour tabasco sauce on it?

Sorry if this has come up a lot. Ive tried searching the forums but Im having some trouble getting it to search very well
adamlewis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2009, 11:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Stop my puppy from eating his poop?

Quote:
Originally Posted By: adamlewis
I feed him as much as he can eat in 20 minutes (which he usually stops before then) 3 times a day.
I'd follow the feeding instructions on the bag. It sounds like you may be feeding your pup too much. In terms of eating poop...I think some dogs just like it...not necessarily anything wrong with them.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Oh yeah, plenty of posts on this topic! Here's a couple of links to recent threads.

Puppy Loves to Eat Poop/What to do?

Help I have a poop eater!!!

My pup went after big sis' poop. Tried the pineapple without success though I have heard it works well for others. Read recent suggestions for Adolph Meat Tenderizer.

Teach the Leave It command and use it consistently. Picking it up quickly-and I have read here suggestions not to make it a "race" with your pup but maybe putting the pup away quickly and going out to clean it up.

Good Luck!

Kayla 02/12/05-09/22/14

Lancer 05/01/08
Kayla's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2009, 12:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

Also, you have to monitor him constantly (at least for a while) and prevent him from doing it.

My Kenzo 07/2007-11/2008 RIP My Baby Boy

Laila Pester-ella (the evil minpin) DOB:11/2007

VALIUM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2009, 02:16 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Everett54Oh yeah, plenty of posts on this topic! Here's a couple of links to recent threads.

Puppy Loves to Eat Poop/What to do?

Help I have a poop eater!!!

My pup went after big sis' poop. Tried the pineapple without success though I have heard it works well for others. Read recent suggestions for Adolph Meat Tenderizer.

Teach the Leave It command and use it consistently. Picking it up quickly-and I have read here suggestions not to make it a "race" with your pup but maybe putting the pup away quickly and going out to clean it up.

Good Luck!
What exactly, and how exactly, did you type in to get those results?
adamlewis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2009, 02:46 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Pryght
Quote:
I'd follow the feeding instructions on the bag. It sounds like you may be feeding your pup too much.
This is a very normal and acceptable way to feed puppies that don't gorge themselves and it clearly sounds like this puppy isn't as he does stop eating.

I have never heard of or found any reliable way to prevent a dog from eating poop except for keeping the yard clean and watching him while he's out there. A lot of dogs will eat poopsicles in the winter as they seem to really like them frozen.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:13 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Elaine
Quote:
Originally Posted By: Pryght
Quote:
I'd follow the feeding instructions on the bag. It sounds like you may be feeding your pup too much.
"This is a very normal and acceptable way to feed puppies that don't gorge themselves and it clearly sounds like this puppy isn't as he does stop eating."
Well, if my dog ate non-stop for 10 consecutive minutes, then she'd probably eat at least three cups of dog food. If the original poster is using this system three times a day, it is hard for me to believe that the pup is not overeating, especially when the dog "usually stops before" twenty minutes.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:21 AM   #8 (permalink)

I think there are many reasons that dogs do this. Fortunately, we are out with Luther every time (no fenced yard) and were able to catch and nip it in the bud. He was about five months old and the leave-it command with follow-up redirection (his ball) took care of it pretty quickly. He still will very occasionally turn back to sniff, but if it looks like too much interest - we will "leave-it" and redirect. Most of the time, now, he just poops and moves on.
Martie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2009, 09:48 AM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

We do the same thing as Martie, as we don't have a fenced yard but keep Sonny on a lead I have watched him if he shows any interest, I say leave it and he does if he doesn't I pull the lead toward me and say leave it. I don't stand over him though I give him a lot of space because I want to ensure that it is not because I am standing over him and he can learn to do it on his own.

That is alot of food, but I don't remember the puppy feeding chart anymore, how many times of day does he poop? I believe this is a factor if they poop a lot during the day the food is going in and coming back out and probably smells the same as the food.

Worms can not always been seen with the naked eye, Sonny had hookworms and we never saw it, but you said he has been checked so he is most likely OK.

Also, in those other links posted, I believe I also replied to them too.
elly1210 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2009, 12:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: adamlewisWhat exactly, and how exactly, did you type in to get those results?
I assume you're asking about how to come up with the threads in search?

You put the topic of your search in the proper box and check either the "in subject" or "in subject and body" box.

In the date range section when you use the search function, you can only do three months at a time. So for the first go around, you select <u>Newer than</u> usually 3 months and <u>Older than</u> usually 1 day. We are such a poop discussing forum that is generally all you need for this topic.

Other topics you may want to go back further so the second go around your date selection could be <u>Newer than</u> 6 months and <u>Older than </u>3 months.

You could also use google by typing in the topic and then http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum. It sometimes works better. There was a great thread really explaining this method but we lost it in one of the purges.

Kayla 02/12/05-09/22/14

Lancer 05/01/08
Kayla's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.