MA: New Subj Line Male Fritz special needs (will stay with owner) - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 05:29 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelGSD View Post
I don't understand what is going on, I must have missed something. The OP said the dog is not staying. Are the Monks taking him back? Is the OP looking to rehome? Can someone clarify?

Looking to rehome.
lrodptl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 05:40 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master Member

Fritz loves the family and is mostly calm in the house. He freaks when someone comes to the door. He freaks when someone comes to the gate. He responds to most stimulus around the neighborhood with a bark. He calms down as soon as he gets to sniff the visitor but is very very intimidating til then. He then accepts anyone in his presence. Most people he will attempt to charge to sniff but in a very excited manner. If it's dark he would even charge the family. He is also very submissive and will cower if approached without distraction. If he approaches you it's fine but usually he'll wait til you are sitting. He will submissively urinate if pressured when he is laying down or otherwise pressured with forceful presence. Loves kids,loves to play but gets over the top excited when they are running around etc. Loves ballplay and walks and is very very fit. Also very intelligent and responds to hand signals and basic commands on first request,unless excited. Dogtra training has worked and he will stop or retreat to me if nicked every time. Doesn't trust other dogs and will challenge them,eventually he accepts them and they become playmates but he plays rough.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:44 PM   #23 (permalink)
Banned

This dog is an accident waiting to happen from your description.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 05:50 PM   #24 (permalink)
Crowned Member

If this dog gets sent back to the monks...its a death sentence. They generally just import trained dogs and kind of have their own lines developed from that but I know for a fact they import a lot of their stud dogs. They are still extremely "old school" and I don't believe they would bother dealing with a dog like this.

Once the dog has bitten...there isn't a single rescue in the United States that would touch it. You might want to look into some local Schutzhund clubs and see if anyone there would be willing to help. It does sound like this dog might do pretty well in a working home where he'd have an outlet for some of that energy.

Although the monks breed family companions, they usually use WGSL dogs and so they are all titled in Schutzhund (I believe) from before they are with the monks. These dogs should be capable of work and it just sounds like this was a bad match. We have a member at our club that's on his second skete dog, up until a few months ago (I haven't seen him in a while) he seemed like a very nice pup.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 06:00 PM   #25 (permalink)
Crowned Member

One option would be for him to go into a quiet, remote home, like a farm. A place with few visitors and with people who would not want/need him to interact with visitors. Some might even appreciate the bark. People could crate him when they have guests coming over.
I had several rescues like this and they were happy to live out their life in their own little world. Training helped, but they were never trustworthy around strangers. They just wore a muzzle around new people and we never had accidents. It can be managed, but it is an effort.
RebelGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 06:03 PM   #26 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The monks don't seem to be very sentimental about their dogs that don't work out, they sound like a business enterprise. From what I have heard I would not count on them.
RebelGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 06:14 PM   #27 (permalink)
Banned

Unless you withhold the fact he's bitten, you will find it next to impossible to place him. Responsible, good homes want dogs that have not bitten and that don't go psycho when people come over.
The only homes that might want him are homes that should not have him.

The responsible thing to do, other than keep and work with him - and put him up when people come over - is euthanasia.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 06:23 PM   #28 (permalink)
Master Member

The Monks just called and have a K9 trainer in NYC that is interested.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:35 PM   #29 (permalink)

OP, please do consider taking the pup to Tufts since you are so close to that wonderful resource. If, you are not willing to try other methods to manage him (and I would highly advise again the ones you have been using) then you have a tough decision to make. It is highly unlikely that a rescue will be able to take on the liability and it can take a long time to find an adopter who can handle such a dog - it's how I ended up with my Holly. She too is weak nerved and had bitten a couple of people by 6 months old before I agreed to foster her and work with her. She's not placeable so she will be in my home forever.

There is also a trainer in NY, K9-1 Dog Training, that takes on difficult dogs and will sometimes rehome them to knowledgeable people.

Raven (GSD) - December 8, 2007
Kaiser (GSD) - November 2009
Holly (GSD) - March 24, 2011
Best Paw Forward
Champ's Fund
gsdraven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 06:41 PM   #30 (permalink)

someone suggested a working home, the monks are not breeding dogs for schutzhund and such..This is a business that supports their monastary(sp). They've been breeding for "years".

And I agree if the dog were sent back, I'm sure they would euthanize him if they told the OP to do it.

Since they told the OP that a NY Trainer may be interested I would pursue that if it's possible for you.

I don't think placing him in a home that is not gsd savvy(trainer) would be adviseable..he needs a someone who knows exactly how to handle him ..

I don't know if she could help you, but I would contact Marta Bailey at Smartydog in CT..She deals with problem dogs especially gsd's, as she's had many in the past. I don't know if she could refer you or help you but it's worth a shot if you don't think the NY trainer thing will work..

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.