MA: New Subj Line Male Fritz special needs (will stay with owner) - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 02:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieC View Post
I'm a bit confused myself. The first word in the subject is "HELP!"
I did move this out of the rescue forum, so that's why it looks funny.

We have been PM-ing a bit to clarify.
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 02:44 PM   #12 (permalink)

I'm also confused about what you want from this thread. For what it's worth, I do think that after a bite like that, euthanasia is probably the best option. Finding him a suitable new home will be very difficult if not impossible, and you clearly should not have him in your home.

However, I also agree that in your post, I saw multiple instances where you made huge mistakes and set your dog up for this bite. He may have a weak temperament, but as the human in this situation, it is your responsibility to either determine that you cannot handle that temperament early on and rehome him, or manage him appropriately. He should not have been out in your yard at that party with the history you describe, and even if he was, you should not have trusted him to a neighbor--in a stressful situation, he needs his owner there 100% of the time. Whether or not this dog had a flawed temperament, from what you have written here you let him down in a big way, as well and endangering the safety of all of your guests.

I am sure this is not an easy situation for you and I am not trying to be cruel, but I hope you will consider this when you look into another dog.

edit: I'm sorry for redundancy on the confusion bit, I left the reply window open while I was looking into New Skete Shepherds and missed a couple of posts above.
Bandit-8 y/o ACD
Wooby-14 y/o ACD
Abutiu "Abi"-ACD puppy and hopeful future SAR dog!
RowdyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 02:57 PM   #13 (permalink)

I'm sorry to read this I do not mean to be harsh, I'm sure you feel guilty/bad enough as it is over this incident, however, I do agree with the others, Fritz has had issues his entire life and you, unfortunately failed him, now he will pay with his life.

Dogs like this have to be managed 24/7 and it CAN be done, but I imagine it's to late for Fritz

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 03:21 PM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Since this is now in non-urgent, I'll assume you are looking to place him. Could you please tell us what training he has had? Is it strictly correction based for these behaviors as in the e-collar at 4 months old? Or has any behavior modifications such as LAT/BAT been tried?

Please tell us how he behaves with his family, people he knows, how long it takes him to "get to know" someone.

Have you tried contacting any rescues to have them do an evaluation on him? I doubt they will take him with a bite history but an outside evaluation may be a good thing.

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 03:24 PM   #15 (permalink)

Of course the dog was mis-managed for this incident to happen, but the OP bought this dog, at upwards of $3,000, as a family companion. The pup was not a rescue, nor was it a working line dog that works great but is a terrible pet (this type of dog could maybe be re-homed to sport or working home), the pup was purchased from a breeder that emphasizes their dogs as family companions.

The OP contacted the breeder almost immediately, told them the pup had some serious issues. In my opinion, the breeder should have, at that point taken the pup back and offered the OP a new pup or a refund. This would have been when the pup was just 4 months old. The monks presumably have adequate kennel space and handlers that they could have managed the pup/dog for the rest of his life and given him a reasonably happy existence.

The submissive peeing and inability to bounce back after an incident are huge red flags for me. Barking at strangers and reactivity can be worked with and trained, but severely weak nerves can never be overcome. I'd be interested in what other behaviorists have said about Fritz- and the internet is not place to determine if a dog should be euthanized. I would HOPE that the monks would at least want to see the dog in person- or get input from a behaviorist that has worked with the dog directly- before making their recommendation. I am more disappointed in the breeder's response here than in the OPs. It sounds like he has put a lot of work on this dog and of course made a mistake with management, but he ended up with a very different dog than he thought he was getting.

To be honest, very few people want a dog that needs to be managed 24/7. I know working dog people who have done this with dogs with serious aggression issues, but average people are looking for a companion, not a liability.
Muskeg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 03:26 PM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Since this is now a rescue thread, could we please keep the comments focused on helping the dog instead of an argument?

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 03:33 PM   #17 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

OP - this is where I would make an immediate appointment: Tufts Animal Behavior Clinic : Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine

Forgot that you were in MA!
Old 01-07-2013, 03:42 PM   #18 (permalink)
jae
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskeg View Post
I am more disappointed in the breeder's response here than in the OPs.
Cannot agree more with this.

The Monks emphasize and make it a point to state that any and all dogs that are put up for surrender will first be brought back to their kennel. That is clearly not happening.

Must wonder why. I would hammer their phone lines and mailboxes to get this dog back there and make them put the dog in their highly touted and expensive training program. If they care about their dogs, they will.
jae is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 03:42 PM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
The OP contacted the breeder almost immediately, told them the pup had some serious issues. In my opinion, the breeder should have, at that point taken the pup back and offered the OP a new pup or a refund.
The Skete folks seem to have washed their hands of this situation and the pup and hope it'll go away quickly from the sounds of it.
I'm really surprised they didn't offer lifelong training as part of the puppy package
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 04:23 PM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I don't understand what is going on, I must have missed something. The OP said the dog is not staying. Are the Monks taking him back? Is the OP looking to rehome? Can someone clarify?
RebelGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.