Baton Rouge, La (#31129)-"Tessa" - young female (adopted) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2012, 07:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Baton Rouge, La (#31129)-"Tessa" - young female (adopted)

Tessa is a young female in Baton Rouge, Louisiana who needs a foster or rescue angel. I'm usually okay when I leave the shelter, but this one is killing me. I can't foster at the moment due to a medical issue being treated for one of my own dogs, and I'm very worried about this little one.

She is terrified and shut down, even though she's only been at the shelter a few days. It took me 30 minutes to get her from the back of her kennel to the door, with treats and lots of patience, the first time I met her. She eventually decided I was nice and surprised me by crawling into my lap at the entrance to her kennel, while I was squatting down feeding her treats. She didn't want to walk with me -- she just wanted to be held. She wants to be in a lap or pressed up against a person to feel safe.

She has a skin condition that hasn't been diagnosed yet. It's apparently unlikely to be demodex, though, according to the shelter's staff. I gave her a chlorhex bath Sunday, to see if it helps, and I got her Capstarred, in case its a flea allergy. She looks pretty horrible, as her skin is flaking everywhere, and there are lots of bare patches. She smells way better after the bath, though.

Each time I've had her out, she relaxes in my lap, and I can feel the fear and stress release from her little body as I hold her and pet her. She fell asleep that way after her bath. She also rolled over nibbled my fingers gently while I rubbed her tummy--she's absolutely charming.

She was temporarily kenneled with a goofy young lab, so we know she has no dog aggression in the shelter. She's quite docile and submissive in the shelter.

She's at the public shelter in East Baton Rouge Parish -- Companion Animal Alliance (Companion Animals Alliance). I sent them a bio to get her up on Petfinder, but it's not listed yet. The shelter will gratefully work with reputable out-of-state rescues, consider applications from out-of-state adopters, and even approve foster applications out of town -- they are trying to move from being a high-kill shelter to a low-kill one, and they are open to creative ideas that save dogs and get them into good homes.

PM me if interested in saving this little one. Please cross-post anywhere she'll get attention. The adoption fee is just $12 in December (which includes spay, up-to-date shots, and microchip). Heartworm status is unknown (but she can be tested upon request, for any prospective adopter).

Compare the face above to the pitiful one when I first encountered her in her kennel:

And here she is after her bath and lap-nap, content to be carried like a baby in Mr. Magwart's arms:
Magwart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2012, 10:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

That last picture is just heart wrenching, I pray she finds a good home. I wish Zoey wasn't DR!!!! Keep me updated on this girl please.

Zoey- Adopted Belgian Malinois on 4/29/12
Princess- WGSD 3/15/01-9/21/11 Forever would've been to short...
Nickyb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 09:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

I went to the shelter tonight to visit Tessa, as she was worrying me. It's like she's a different dog -- she wiggled to greet me at her kennel gate, happily walked outside with me on the leash, danced and played with me, tried to jump on my head when I crouched down. She's feeling good, and acting like a puppy. It was fabulous.

She wasn't itchy either. The chlorhex bath seems to have helped her enormously. She's also on Doxy, which may be why she's feeling so much perkier after a few days.

It was so good to finally see her real self coming out, instead of the scared, withdrawn baby she's been. She met some prospective adopters while I had her out, and while they didn't take her home, it was a great opportunity for me to see her with new people. She was aloof with the man at first, but instantly very friendly with the lady. She warmed up to the man after a few minutes, and then liked him a lot.

She's a tiny thing, and probably will always be on the small side, but she's pretty wonderful.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

That is so nice to hear that she is feeling better. Hopefully, the lady that visited, will be thinking of her too, and come back.
WISLADY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 08:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

No news to report, other than that this baby has come out of her shell and is prancing and playing, finally. She's acting like a normal dog. My visits to her this week are paying off -- she's greeting people happily at her cage door now, and doing all the right things to get herself noticed. **knock on wood**

Compare the sad picture in the cage above, the day I met her, with this happy smile -- this is why I volunteer:

Old 12-22-2012, 09:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

many holiday blessings to you magwart, thank you for your volunteer work (i totally understand how WONDERFUL it makes you feel to see the changes in these dear souls), and many good wishes for miss tessa to find her forever home.
hearthside's cinderfella (RIP 4/20/09)
shep von bellefontaine (RIP 6/9/10)
voodoo lily (dsh) & cricket (african grey~RIP 7/13)
katieliz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 02:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Send a message via MSN to BucksMom Send a message via Yahoo to BucksMom

Tessa is a beauty Thank you so much for helping her Magwart.

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog. SL"
BucksMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 07:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Adopted!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.