German Shepherds Forum banner

Baton Rouge, La (#30238): "Brandy" - Red & Black F - GORGEOUS! (adopted)

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Magwart 
#1 ·
Baton Rouge, La (#30238): "Brandy" - Red & Black F - GORGEOUS! (adopted)

Brandy arrived in the public shelter, picked up as a stray, running with another GSD M (Kodak #30239, small photo below hers). Her stray-hold is up, and she's available for adoption...or euth.

She is an exquisite dog. When I took her out for a quick photoshoot, she was energetic, friendly, and wiggly. She's had zero training, as far as I can tell, which is a shame with such a spectacular dog -- but it means she's a blank slate for someone to start from scratch.

Brandy is available at the Companion Animal Alliance shelter at 2680 Progress Road, Baton Rouge, LA 70807. Her impound number is 30238.

This is a "kill" shelter trying to transition to a "no kill" future. The shelter has several GSDs right now, and they inevitably get depressed, stop eating, then get sick, so getting Brandy out fast is a priority. Her adoption fee is $80 (which covers spaying, microchip and up-to-date shots). They also have a partnership with Companions for Heroes to reimburse the adoption fee for approved first responders and military (go to companionsforheroes.org for more info). This shelter will consider out-of-state adoptions, to approved adopters willing to arrange transport (though they may seek a courtesy home-check by a reputable rescue in your area).

See less See more
#2 ·
**bump for Brandy and Kodak**

Last week, I got an email from a prospective adopter who had the gall to ask me if the shelter could please not spay Brandy if she paid more than double the usual adoption fee...so that she could be used as a breeding bitch. Obviously, that's not happening. The gall amazed me though -- I'm volunteering to save lives of shelter GSDs, and she's trying to make more.

Unfortunately, we found out Brandy is very bossy with other dogs and wanted to eat the cat she saw. She also was very frightened of toddler noise, so she needs a no-small-kids household. Her universe of possible homes has contracted significantly. ***sigh***

#4 ·
Is it possible for her to be in a foster away from the shelter just to make sure that she can't be placed with other dogs?

**bump for Brandy and Kodak**

Unfortunately, we found out Brandy is very bossy with other dogs and wanted to eat the cat she saw. She also was very frightened of toddler noise, so she needs a no-small-kids household. Her universe of possible homes has contracted significantly. ***sigh***

#5 · (Edited)
She had foster briefly, and that's where the problem arose. *sigh*

Brandy had an inexperienced-but-very-kind foster who has so far only ever had relatively easy GSDs from the shelter -- friendly, sociable dogs who fit well in the home from the get-go. The foster just had the wrong dog for her situation.

Brandy was back at the shelter after one night. Unless someone with more experience can get a read on her, I can't blame the shelter for being cautious -- it keeps her from being put into a situation she can't handle (yet). She's very affectionate and lovely with adults. It's possible it was all "first day out" stress and confusion, plus she had just been separated from Kodak, which added to her stress. There was also a suggestion I heard that she might have been starting her heat (hasn't had a spay appt. yet...), and that could make her crabby with the foster's female dog too. It's also likely a two-week-shutdown would have avoided all this (I suggested it). It may be fixable once Brandy figures the world out. She's just had the deck stacked against her with all this stuff.

We just don't have an experienced GSD foster to give her time to work it all out. I've got my hands full with a return-adoption on a previous foster of mine who is now back with me after an adopter put her in a situation she should never have been put in....and there's only two of us fostering GSDs regularly for this shelter.

#8 ·
She's still at the shelter. She's started the "shepherd shutdown" -- getting depressed, dropping weight.

The shelter is running a holiday promotion, so her adoption fee has dropped to just $12 (incl. spay, vaccinations, microchip, deworming and basic vet check).

#9 ·
Now that I've moved in I have to room (luxury) of being able to foster again. Even if she doesn't get along with others I have space for her to stay for awhile.

Jelpy

#11 ·
She's still there.

My best guess on her age is 3-4 y.o. (possibly as old as 5-6 at the outside--I have a hard time telling with adults, and I didn't get a good look at her teeth).

The shelter's vet put her at 2-3 y.o., but honestly I don't think 2 is realistic for her.

She was completely filled out with a full barrel chest when I met her (she's dropped some weight since then), and made an "adult" impression. The lady who (briefly) fostered her and returned her agrees that she's at least 3.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.