East Smithfield, PA - Maxx, B/T, M, 2 yrs (adopted) - Page 9 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2013, 02:07 PM   #81 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Did you have the raccoon tested for rabies? Yikes!

How is Maxx doing? How is your training going?

It's MICHELLE, scarfish! My name is MICHELLE! Jax is my DOG!

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2013, 09:07 AM   #82 (permalink)

Good morning Jax

The coon tested positive for rabies.
He officially on 45 day quarantine
Nobody comes over because of him so it makes no difference.
He was up to date with his shot and went right in for a booster. He had to wear the muzzle because he growled at everybody. He just doesn't like new people and doesn't get to see enough of them. Cheyenne was here Saturday and I muzzled him, he gave her the quick growl and funny look. A minute later he had his head in her lap for a hug. The muzzle has less stress and lets him get over his fears faster.
He started being let loose in the house this week for work. Every thing is going well with that.
snake321 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 09:25 AM   #83 (permalink)
Crowned Member

What happened when you take him out places? Does the trainer have you doing that and keeping your distance to desensitize him to new people? What does he have you doing to help that? With what I saw of him, I believed this was something he could get over with work.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:11 PM   #84 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Wow on the rabies. Holy crap. Fanning myself here before I get the vapors.

Yeah, definitely no one wants to get bitten by a dog that has been exposed to rabies, even though the staff has had the shots at the vet office.

http://www.agriculture.state.pa.us/p...6%205%2008.pdf

PA (not sure if you are there) has had quite a lot of rabies: http://www.agriculture.state.pa.us/p...MAP%202011.pdf

From http://www.agriculture.state.pa.us/p...d=0&palid=129&

Glad he was vaccinated and is okay.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:34 PM   #85 (permalink)
Crowned Member

No. He's not in PA

Old 02-01-2013, 01:08 PM   #86 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Whatever state you are in OP, you can usually find your rabies stats and info by googling the state name with rabies. Good to know what you are dealing with in your location. Which unfortunately you do, first hand. Wow!
Old 02-01-2013, 06:43 PM   #87 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
What happened when you take him out places? Does the trainer have you doing that and keeping your distance to desensitize him to new people? What does he have you doing to help that? With what I saw of him, I believed this was something he could get over with work.
He hasn't been out in awhile. He was getting so wound up about wanting to ride in the truck. It wasn't helping his invisible fence training near the driveway which is a real important spot.
He's been good with people coming over but he makes me nervous. My buddy came over a couple weeks ago, I had him throw the ball, all was well. A couple minutes later, Maxx ran at him and pounced at his feet, half growling,half barking and banged his nose into his leg. It scared the **** out of my buddy and me.
Late in the day, just before dark, I have to watch him because when I'm walking around, he sometimes growls and lunges at me, snapping his teeth near my arm.
Always the same time of day.
He is getting himself wound up and looking to get a reaction from me.The first time scared the **** out of me, now I know to look out for it and keep my hands and arms in.
He's getting better and better, but he has some crazy stuff in his background that he can't seem to shake.
I feel bad for him because I have a belief that all isn't gonna go well for him in the end or for me. I just have the feeling.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:53 PM   #88 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake321 View Post
I feel bad for him because I have a belief that all isn't gonna go well for him in the end or for me. I just have the feeling.
I'm not quite sure what to say. The only thing I would like to point out is if you feel that way, perhaps you should think about whether you need to have a conversation with ACS about whether you feel he should be returned.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:50 PM   #89 (permalink)

naaaaaa, it's not about giving him back.
We get along great, he learns, he wants to learn. The smartest dog I've ever had, by far.
He's gonna bite somebody someday. Maybe not viciously, but he's gonna. Either nervous aggression, somebody new, or just getting wound up, bullying someone for a reaction.
Hopefully, work and time will lessen those worries, but I just have the feeling.
Hard to get used to having the dog that is a baby in the house killing racoons in front of you.
Maybe he was protecting me, who knows....
Old 02-01-2013, 10:38 PM   #90 (permalink)

The thing about those kinds of feelings is that they sort of become self fulfilling prophecies. You need to be more proactive and work on getting yourself (and him) comfortable around strangers. If you're nervous about how he will act, then he's going to act like he should be nervous. If you are confident in yourself, him and the training you've done together then there should be no need to worry.

That's not to say that you don't have to be vigilant but those fears aren't going to help you or the relationship.

Killing racoons is what natural predators like dogs do. Rarely does animal aggression translate to humans. Kaiser is my biggest sweatheart of a dog and I watched him kill a groundhug in my backyard one day and bring it to me as a prize. It took some time to shake off that feeling but I know deep down that it was instinct and he wouldn't hurt a person.

If you don't feel that you can trust him, the best thing to do is to give him back to ACS so that he gets to have a trusting relationship with someone without stress.

Raven (GSD) - December 8, 2007
Kaiser (GSD) - November 2009
Holly (GSD) - March 24, 2011
Best Paw Forward
Champ's Fund
gsdraven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.