East Smithfield, PA - Maxx, B/T, M, 2 yrs (adopted) - Page 7 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2012, 10:31 AM   #61 (permalink)
Crowned Member

IMO, she should be rewarding him so he knows the reward comes from him. She needs to be the source of the reward so that he starts looking to her for good things. I don't think you rewarding him is wrong but he's learning that you are the source and not viewing her as a source. If she randomly tosses him treats as she walks by, without looking at him and even if he is growling, I think he will stop reacting as he did at ACS. One of the main training issues I had with Jax was her not viewing me as the source of the reward. She was not reactive to me, just had no focus. So it's all about the SOURCE of the reward.

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~

Last edited by Jax08; 12-03-2012 at 10:35 AM.
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 10:43 AM   #62 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I would definitely call the animal shelter. It sounds like they offer a lot of support for adopters.

What kind of food are you feeding? Several of my dogs have been big (between 80 and 90 pounds) and very active never ate more than 5 cups of food a day. You are very likely over feeding him and this is probably the direct reason for the poop in the house. He has been house broken otherwise so something is wrong--as in he couldn't hold it.

Therefore, there is no point in scolding him and making him cower under the table. You are trying to build a trust relationship with him right now. This does NOT call for tough love of any sort. I have had two dogs who behaved like he is behaving right now. I had to use a completely different style of training than I have used with other dogs. I can honestly say that neither of these dogs would have been a good fit for most households, especially one with kids.

Rafi the malaroo
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238
Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
BowWowMeow is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 12:18 PM   #63 (permalink)

Jax, I'll go with the just her rewards. She has issues and has a hard time getting stuff right, but we'll keep on it.

Bow Wow- I cut the food to 7 and will watch him. He is 95 lbs and skinny.
He hasn't been scolded, I told him no and I told him bad. Seems he's heard it before. I can't have a repeat of it tomorrow because he thought it was ok today. He hasn't been yelled at or had a voice raised to him. That's not gonna help anybody. I have been on the phone with the ACS. Keep their number right in front of me.
snake321 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 12:24 PM   #64 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Well...the good thing about food rewards is the timing doesn't have to be perfect. Just let her toss the food as she walks by. There is no getting things right or wrong in that. Who is feeding him? If he's ok with Anne but not Cheyenne, then let Cheyenne feed him. He has to sit for her before she puts the bowl in the floor.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:45 PM   #65 (permalink)
Crowned Member

What food are you feeding?

Rafi the malaroo
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
Old 12-03-2012, 12:46 PM   #66 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake321 View Post
He hasn't been scolded, I told him no and I told him bad. Seems he's heard it before. I can't have a repeat of it tomorrow because he thought it was ok today.
The problem with this is that he doesn't know what he did to be scolded. Dogs relate things within 3 seconds. If he had went in the house and you caught him within those 3 seconds, then he would know that what he did was wrong. But since you didn't, when you told him "no" and "bad" he related that to something he did at that moment. He might have been standing at the door and now he thinks that standing at the door is wrong.

Dog "thinkery"...yes that is now a word because I"m using it in a sentence...is pretty interesting.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:29 PM   #67 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
Well...the good thing about food rewards is the timing doesn't have to be perfect. Just let her toss the food as she walks by. There is no getting things right or wrong in that. Who is feeding him? If he's ok with Anne but not Cheyenne, then let Cheyenne feed him. He has to sit for her before she puts the bowl in the floor.
Cheyenne fed him this morning.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:30 PM   #68 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowWowMeow View Post
What food are you feeding?
Pedigree dry
Old 12-03-2012, 03:48 PM   #69 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake321 View Post
Pedigree dry
That has a lot of fillers in it so it's going to produce a lot of poop. The more you feed, the more he will poop out (the fillers are just bulk that aren't used by the body). There are much better foods out there but they do cost more. I don't feed kibble any more so I'll leave that advice to those who do feed kibble.

The instructions say: "75 to 150 lbs. 4 1/2 to 8"

Since he is 95 pounds he would be at the low end of the cups there. I understand that he is thin but you want to put weight on gradually so I would take him down to 5.5 cups and see how that goes. You can gradually increase his food.

Rafi the malaroo
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
Old 12-03-2012, 05:21 PM   #70 (permalink)

i will find the Canidae tomorrow. He's at the bottom of the bag anyways.
Canidae is a sponsor of the boat races I go to. Don't know what one has to do with the other...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.