East Smithfield, PA - Maxx, B/T, M, 2 yrs (adopted) - Page 6 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2012, 08:57 PM   #51 (permalink)

I had a 75 lb. shepherd that ate 8 cups for years. He ran all day and was in good shape. Last shepherd,70 lb., ate 4 - 5 cups. I think 8 is right for his weight, I'll watch his weight and adjust.You are right about his eating, he'd drain the bag if I let him.
I have a shock receiver for regular use and one for stubborn dogs. I had a dog that wore two recievers and still occasionally ran through. He was crazy.
Last dog, got shocked twice, never even had to wear the collar again. He had run of the yard and never tried to leave, ever. Just open the door, never worry. I don't think that happens often.
snake321 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 09:04 PM   #52 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Don't you walk the dog around the perimeter with the flags up first to teach his boundaries several times? I thought that's what my boss did. His dog stopped when the collar beeped.

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 09:14 PM   #53 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Just caught up on this thread...sounds like a really nice dog who is somewhat fearful. As he gains confidence that may turn into more pronounced fear aggression, especially with strangers. Using treats and asking for a behavior is a good way to deal with this. I trained my FA dogs to go their spot when company came over and I would give them a treat for doing this and ask the company to ignore the dog.

I hate e fences b/c I know of several occasions where they have caused misplaced aggression. In one case the dog bit a child b/c the dog perceived that the child was the cause of the shock. I have successfully trained dogs to stay in an unfenced yard but if he has FA and any territorial aggression I would not use the e-fence and just have him outside when you're out there with him. My current dog has no interest in being outside I'm not there and I've had gsds who were like that too.

Some of my dogs have been crate trained, some not, none have had problems with overnight vet stays, etc. Dogs who have those problems usually have barrier anxiety and/or separation anxiety. Safe spaces and training to a spot is important though and some dogs really love crates. My dog Basu was kept caged or crated 22 hours a day for 4.5 years but he loved hanging out in a Varikennel that was for my fosters. Crating is definitely not a cruel thing and as long as you use it as a positive, safe space, most dogs really like them. It's a nice option to have around for a fearful dog.

Is there a room you can leave him in when you're gone so that he doesn't have access to the full house? That will help him feel more secure.

Rafi the malaroo
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238
Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
BowWowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 09:56 PM   #54 (permalink)
Master Member

i sure hope the ecollar doesnt ruin him.. some dogs just cant have an ecollar . you really should give him more time to settle in
Honey
http://wallacethepitbull.blip.tv/file/147911/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYdlh8_p8xQ
mebully21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 06:40 AM   #55 (permalink)

The fence isn't even on now. We're just training to the flags. I give him slack-he tries to go near the flag-I tell him no and pull him back. We'll do it until he gets it.
I'm cutting his food to 7 cups.
He had an accident in the house some time last night, didn't know it until he came back from his morning walk. I cleaned it up and told him bad. He knew what that was and hid under the kitchen table.
When Cheyenne came down, she got the morning bark and growl program. When she went to sit at the table,he went under there and growled at her again. Never a show of teeth, just growl.
I then helped her make him sit and get his food for him. She's going to start playing more toys with him to get some interaction going. Worked for Ann.
While I was writing this, he had 2 more growling issues with Cheyenne. First was from his bed as she walked by, I put his leash on and was sitting on the couch. She brought him his toy and he growled again. He has no reason to fear her, it might be a don't like kids deal.
This turn of events isn't good.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:31 AM   #56 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I thought that's how an e-fence was trained. Thanks for explaining that. An e-fence really isn't an option for us since Jax will shoot right thru one and other dogs can come into the yard. I'm hoping to fence our 2 acres in the next couple of years, or at least a portion for the dogs.

Call ACS about the growling. Their trainer may be able to give you ideas. After he got over his initial fear at ACS, I never heard him growl at anyone so I"m at a loss on that one.

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~

Last edited by Jax08; 12-03-2012 at 08:41 AM.
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 08:34 AM   #57 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Definitely call the place you got him from, but not all dog are matches for all homes - and match is the main ingredient in good adoption.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:35 AM   #58 (permalink)
Elite Member

What your doing with him is obviously not working, so maybe its time to try something else. Liiiiiike crate training and a two week shut down. Everyone has given you good advice and you just poo poo it. And yet he is still growling. Please take some time to read about crate training and the two week shut down before you end up with him actually trying to bite your daughter.
Capone22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 08:39 AM   #59 (permalink)
Master Member

some dogs are talkers, my gsd she talks/growls but no hackles are up and she is just a vocal dog.. how is his body language when he does this? is it relaxed? maybe he is just a talker.. my rottx was a HUGE growler talker, no teeth or bad body language just loved to grumble and make all sorts of growly noises..
Honey
http://wallacethepitbull.blip.tv/file/147911/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYdlh8_p8xQ
mebully21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 10:05 AM   #60 (permalink)

No teeth, no lip curl, just a growl here and there and the barking. His bark is big so it's hard to tell as to the extent of what he's up to. He's been getting treats at the stairs when she comes down and he could be taking this as this is how he's gonna get treats from her. I'm gating up the front door/stairs area to prevent the stairs deal until he gets used to it. When he behaves when Cheyenne goes by, I reward him, not Cheyenne. Otherwise it will never end.
Capone - His quiet time is at the maximun. No playing,no visitors,no excitement. All he gets is walks. He's sound asleep right now.
A crate will solve nothing with this issue. She will still walk by it, he will still see her.
Positive rewards for the good times when she walks by. Today she will walk him. His issues aren't durring interaction, just the walk by.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.