East Smithfield, PA - Maxx, B/T, M, 2 yrs (adopted) - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2012, 07:54 PM   #31 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I think Maxx would very much benefit from the Two Week Shutdown
http://www.bigdogsbighearts.com/2_week_shutdown0001.pdf

Go slow with him, give him time to adjust and use positive associations. Once he opens up, he's fantastic. It took him awhile to open up at the shelter, especially under the conditions that he arrived in, so just go slow with him. It sounds like he's at his threshold for excitement and new things for today and maybe needs to be put in a quiet place for a while.

And remember that ACS is there to help if you need with their trainer who is excellent.

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~

Last edited by Jax08; 11-30-2012 at 08:03 PM.
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2012, 07:59 PM   #32 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I second the idea of giving him 2 weeks to get adjusted. Please check the link Jax gave you.

You are setting the foundation for a bond with this dog. Take it slowly and make sure he is not stressed and that all experiences are positive.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:47 PM   #33 (permalink)

I agree that you really need to slow down with him. Take your time and build a good relationship with trust and communication. He should earn everything and be shown the boundaries in a fair and consistent way. I am sure this is all so very exciting and overwhelming to him all at the same time.

Use the resources available to your through ACS and here.

Best of luck to you and keep us updated!

Raven (GSD) - December 8, 2007
Kaiser (GSD) - November 2009
Holly (GSD) - March 24, 2011
Best Paw Forward
Champ's Fund
gsdraven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 07:45 AM   #34 (permalink)

This is just life in the house and he's gonna have to get used to it. I'm sure he won't go upstairs again, that cures that. He's not get played with, walked down the street or seeing strangers(besides us) or other animals.
I slept on the couch to keep him company and every hour he woke me up bouncing a ball on me. He loves the red hard rubber balls, needs 2 at a clip,plays by himself.
This morning he stopped Ann(my girlfriend) at the bottom of the stairs barking and scared her. I stepped in between them and told him no and he walked away. She got him a cookie,they shook hands and all is forgotten. Now Cheyenne, the 17 y/o came down and got a big bark growling deal. We did the same and all was good. Just in the middle of this sentence, it happened again. She came down, he ran over loud and stopped her. I had to get in between them again. I gave her a cookie and she gave it to him and all was well. She just got growled at in the kitchen also. Today will be a quiet day of watching with treats coming from them in response for good behavior only.
Those two might have to buy his friendship.
snake321 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 08:05 AM   #35 (permalink)

You need to be proactive about the growling and barking instead of reactive. The should be the only source of all food and affection until he is comfortable with them.

If this was my house, he would be leashed to me at all times so that he never had the opportunity to practice going up to them and barking or growling.

Raven (GSD) - December 8, 2007
Kaiser (GSD) - November 2009
Holly (GSD) - March 24, 2011
Best Paw Forward
Champ's Fund
gsdraven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 08:38 AM   #36 (permalink)

I believe that leashing him to me would only create anxiety. I don't want him be feel protective of me from them.
Ann now has treats in her pocket at all times and I have some at the top of the stairs for Cheyenne. I watched him at the shelter, he knew everyone had something in their pockets and wanted to go up to them. Food will make her useful to him, as before she had no purpose. He's sizing up the household and trying to figure who's who and he's got Cheyenne figured for the bottom of the pack. He definitely has nothing to fear from her.
He's a big dog and gonna try for the top spot.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:43 AM   #37 (permalink)

He went upstairs again. This time I didn't hesitate. Got the leash and cookies and dragged him down. He only needs dragging over the first two steps. At the bottom he got cookies and was happy again.
I then had Cheyenne come down with a cookie, she had him sit and he got the treat.
Slow repetition is gonna win here.
The 2 week quiet time is fine for the house, but where it fails is with the walking. This guy has lotsa energy and I'll walk him 10 times today in the yard but that's not enough.
Ann walks every morning for an hour while it's still dark. Nobody else is out at that time and he'll do good. It's good for those two together also.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:11 PM   #38 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake321 View Post
He's sizing up the household and trying to figure who's who and he's got Cheyenne figured for the bottom of the pack. He definitely has nothing to fear from her.
He's a big dog and gonna try for the top spot.
I spent a bit of time with Maxx at the shelter. I would disagree that he is trying to dominate your daughter. He actually is a fairly submissive dog. The growling is fear and stress related. It was when he was first left at ACS and I'm sure it is now. He doesn't know he has nothing to fear from her. He just knows she's a stranger that he doesn't trust. Your plan of them rewarding him for good behavior is great. I would add tossing a treat when they walk by in addition to that.

I agree with Jamie that tethering him to you until his fear is past is a good idea. Or at least leave a leash on him so you can grab that to stop him. Other than this issue, he has fairly good nerves and I don't think he would start to guard you. It will give you a chance to stop him before he charges at your daughter or your girlfriend to bark and be scary.

Look up NILIF (nothing in life is free). This is ideal for Maxx. Make him work for everything. If he wants out, he has to sit while you walk thru the door (I was starting to teach him that because I hate it when Jax charges through the door before me). If he wants to eat, have him Down and have your son, your daughter and your girlfriend feed him so he knows the food comes from them too. That will help him learn to trust them.

The Two Week shutdown doesn't mean you can't walk him or play with him. Yes, he does have tons of energy. He's a big puppy. I'm sure he's East German working lines and they are slower to mature from what I understand. It just means take things slow and don't expose him to tons of things. You can play with him in the yard, walk him down the street. He's pretty good on the leash unless he hasn't had any exercise then he pulls. When he did pull, we just took a step back until he released pressure on the leash and once he would turn towards us he was rewarded, sometimes with treats other times by being allowed to go forward.

Good luck! And remember you can call ACS anytime if you need any input on his behavior. Give the goof a good petting for me!

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 02:56 PM   #39 (permalink)

he's having a pretty good day. Right now he's getting walked around the yard by Ann and Cheyenne. Every trip around they stop and Cheyenne makes him sit and he gets a treat. She's been wearing a sweatshirt with big pockets that have treats in them. Now she interests him.
He's a big baby. Rolling over with his paws up to rub his belly.
He bugged out when Ann went to the store and came back at the sliding door. We just waited him out. He went half way up the stairs again and I stopped him.
He's been here 24 hours and he's finally quiet.
He'll be alright.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:40 AM   #40 (permalink)

Ann took him for the hour long morning walk in the dark so there wasn't a lot to excite him. He walked well and had no issues.He barked at Ann when she came down the stairs this morning but was wagging his tail. The walking and her feeding him has made her ok with him.
Cheyenne had barking when she came down, but she had her cookie ready and it was better than yesterday.
My next hurdle will be someone else coming over.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.