East Smithfield, PA - Maxx, B/T, M, 2 yrs (adopted) - Page 10 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013, 09:52 PM   #91 (permalink)

I'm totally impressed with how quickly this has turned into a give him back,I should do this and it's gonna be my fault,I haven't done enough fest.
Wow.......

Please pay attention, It doesn't say I have nervousness or fear.

Last edited by snake321; 02-01-2013 at 09:55 PM.
snake321 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2013, 10:05 PM   #92 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake321 View Post
I'm totally impressed with how quickly this has turned into a give him back,I should do this and it's gonna be my fault,I haven't done enough fest.
Wow.......

Please pay attention, It doesn't say I have nervousness or fear.
No need to get defensive or rude. I said IF you don't feel you can trust him then it may be kindest to give him back. No one placed blame. And I certainly wasn't say you have to do anything. Just giving you input based on my experiences.

Your "feeling" whatever the cause of it... nervousness, fear, intuition etc... is creeping into the relationship whether you want to admit it or not. I've worked with enough people and dogs to know that if you think it's going to play out a certain way (no matter why you think so), it usually will.

Raven (GSD) - December 8, 2007
Kaiser (GSD) - November 2009
Holly (GSD) - March 24, 2011
Best Paw Forward
Champ's Fund
gsdraven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 10:26 PM   #93 (permalink)

I didn't think I was being rude

My feeling is based on facts - he still growls at the special needs kid, he bit my mothers hand ,he bit the roofers arm,he growled at the attendant and the vet the other day.
You assume that I'm nervous with my dog. Never gonna happen....
Old 02-01-2013, 10:39 PM   #94 (permalink)

I didn't assume anything

Best Paw Forward
Champ's Fund
Old 02-01-2013, 11:17 PM   #95 (permalink)

Your "feeling" whatever the cause of it... nervousness, fear, intuition etc... is creeping into the relationship whether you want to admit it or not

You've become kind of nutty and have a definite problem admitting you were wrong. You're not helping anyone or having progressive conversation.

Thank you....
Old 02-02-2013, 07:52 AM   #96 (permalink)

Sir, I suggest you reread the rules as you are dangerously close to breaking them.

Best Paw Forward
Champ's Fund
Old 02-02-2013, 10:09 AM   #97 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake321 View Post
Your "feeling" whatever the cause of it... nervousness, fear, intuition etc... is creeping into the relationship whether you want to admit it or not

You've become kind of nutty and have a definite problem admitting you were wrong. You're not helping anyone or having progressive conversation.

Thank you....

Wow.

I didn't read the whole thread--I just recall reading the first few posts and then these last two. Not sure where Jamie was wrong, but she has a lot of rescue experience with not so easy dogs.

I'll admit that it makes ME nervous seeing some of these words typed out. Glad you aren't in denial, but I agree sometimes if you get in to much of a mindset that something bad is going to happen then it most likely will.
GSDElsa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2013, 11:11 AM   #98 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

I am not so worried about the idea of self fulfilling prophecy (though definitely think that is/can be an issue) but when you have a dog that you feel uneasy with (and that is not a bad thing at all - DEFINITELY better than denial), in terms of their ability, desire, whatever it is, to bite, then you, the person, are the one thing that can make that situation worse, or better. Not the dog, not people around you, but you.

So you are in a position where you have a HUMONGOUS responsibility. You have put it out there, and it is plain to see.

How you deal with that will 99% determine if this dog will bite and have to be killed, or not. 1% is the crappy part that we can't always control. But most of it, we can.

That is big. You have a burden equal to, and greater than, all dog owners. All dog owners reading this thread need to understand that their dog also can bite. It is good to evaluate all dogs' thresholds and triggers. It is good to have a relationship of understanding with all dogs. If you read this and realize that you also have a dog that puts you in the greater than group, you need to realize that...

You must have a positive relationship with your dog, but that you can never trust that dog to make a good choice.

You need to set your dog up always for success. That may mean some limitations - always on leash, never at big events, use of things like muzzles (properly introduced and positively acclimated as a good thing), put away in a crate in a closed room with a sign on the door when people come over - that you have not considered before.

Your dog can not be free on a property that is not physically fenced.

Your dog can not be unsupervised on a property that IS physically fenced because people like to stick their hands in and over fencing to say hi to the doggie - my Grampa had a GSD and I love to see them kind of things. Dogs can also dig under, go over, etc.

Your dog needs to be safely restrained in cars so that someone opening a door that you forget to look does not get a face full of dog.

You need to have a martingale type collar for outings that is tight enough so that the dog cannot slip it.

You need to understand your dog better than the regular pet owner - you need to watch and guard your dog. YOU are now the dog's protector. Any illusions you have had that you got a dog to guard you are now gone.

Etc, etc, etc.

When you look at the limitations that those who choose to live their lives with bitey dogs have to live with, then you can make a better decision to determine if keeping this kind of dog is for you. You have identified something that has to be addressed. You can not just say, whatever will be will be. You need to decide that.
JeanKBBMMMAAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2013, 11:12 AM   #99 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

And definitely, now posting as a site admin, let a post sit, review and review the rules if needed, before posting.

Jean
JeanKBBMMMAAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2013, 10:55 PM   #100 (permalink)

You need to understand your dog better than the regular pet owner - you need to watch and guard your dog. YOU are now the dog's protector. Any illusions you have had that you got a dog to guard you are now gone.

Etc, etc, etc.

When you look at the limitations that those who choose to live their lives with bitey dogs have to live with, then you can make a better decision to determine if keeping this kind of dog is for you. You have identified something that has to be addressed. You can not just say, whatever will be will be. You need to decide that.

Nice post Jean

If he gets old and never bites anyone, it'll be because I did my job right

He's not going to bite because I recognize that he might bite.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.