Male vs. Female? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2008, 12:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Male vs. Female?

Hello!
I am about to get my first German Shepherd although I have worked with the breed a lot in the past and have owned high-energy dogs of other breeds. I currently only have one dog, a senior female Golden who is very laid-back and submissive (even if another dog tries to fight with her, she just backs off instead of fighting back.)

I did a lot of searching for breeders and I found two good ones who have more "moderate" temperament dogs (not extremely high-drive intense) which I think would be good for my first GSD. I am planning to do dog sports (agility, obedience, tracking) and also hopefully animal assisted therapy with the dog.

I am trying to decide between two puppies currently available. One is a 12 week old male, the other is a 7 week female (will be available at 8 wks old). They both have ancestors who were sport and therapy dogs. The male is a little more advanced, he's had some training already and a lot of socialization from the breeder. The female is located a lot closer so I would be better able to visit, but the male is a bit older so his personality and temperament are a little better known and the breeder thinks he would make a good therapy dog. The female's breeder said she is very sweet, social and outgoing.
I am not sure what to pick, or possibly I should visit the female since they are close, and then decide? They are about 1.5 hours, the other is about 5.5-6 hours away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2008, 12:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Re: Male vs. Female?

I would take the male. You said it yourself, he's a few weeks older, his temperment is a little more known, and he has training in the direction that you want to go. He already has socialization. I also think that since you have a female golden that you should get a male. It will be easier for them to get along in the long run IMO.

Max, Champ, and Apollo waiting at the bridge.
GSDOwner2008 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2008, 12:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: GSDOwner2008 I also think that since you have a female golden that you should get a male. It will be easier for them to get along in the long run IMO.

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
BlackGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2008, 01:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: BlackGSD
Quote:
Originally Posted By: GSDOwner2008 I also think that since you have a female golden that you should get a male. It will be easier for them to get along in the long run IMO.
agreed!!
plus I am a little bias for males anyway

proudly owned by:
Brady von Barren Berg, CGC GSD 5/4/05
Cooper von Nordosten, GSD 12/27/10
Missy, Chocolate Lab 3/9/03
littledmc17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2008, 01:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

I third that motion...always best to mix the genders. 2 females could (not always) cause issues.

I've had 4 GSD's in my lifetime...3 males and 1 female. The males were much easier to train and live with. They were Ambred; and my female comes from German imports...difference (I dunno).

But, she's definately more of a handful; I should have considered SchH with her...sorry...another story for another thread.

Go for the boy!
R&B's Pistol Packin Buddy, Labrador Retriever - DOB 2/17/99
Lil' Bruder, German Shepherd - Rescued 9/30/08 - DOB Wild Guess 11/07
Heidibu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2008, 02:06 AM   #6 (permalink)

Hi everyone,
I'm looking to get my first GSD. I really want to adopt from the shelters to help rescue a dog.

Just wondering the thoughts on boy vs. girl?

I've noticed much more girls avail.

I've always like boy dogs for not particular reason. I want a companion dog and also to help me feel safe when I'm home alone.

I was thinking about training the dog to be a protection dog at first. After some research and talk on the forum I think its a bad idea. But during the research I talked to a man who sells protection dogs $15,000 (ridiculous if you ask me) and he recommended a female.

What's your take?
Esther is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2008, 03:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

He probably reccomends the female because they can be more serious than a male. Personally, there aren't huge differences to me. IMHO males are easier to train. I don't like dealing with heat cycles, so that also rules me in favor of a boy. Spaying a female is more costly than neutering a male. Both sexes are great with people and children. I think males a more easy going, and goofy, more loveable, but females can be this way too. Boys are bigger than females.

Old 09-06-2008, 05:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

If the females are spayed do they still have the heat cycles? At this shelter the adoption fee includes the spaying or neturing. Is it a really big difference on how much harder it is to train a female than a male?
Esther is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2008, 06:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

No, females don't have heat cycles after they are spayed. Reguarding training, it's not a huge difference, it really depends on the temperment of the dog. I could have a very stubborn male dog and he would be harder to train then a very willing female dog, and vice versa.

Old 09-07-2008, 06:16 PM   #10 (permalink)

I keep reading that females are more serious than the males and that males tend to be the goofballs and more lovable. But in terms of females being serious does that simply mean that they are more alert more often than males, or what? Can someone elaborate on this a little for me?

Still in search of my first GSD
jayman4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.