How much should a GSD puppy cost? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2014, 08:12 AM   #1 (permalink)

Arrow How much should a GSD puppy cost?

I'm very interested in getting a GSD puppy soon, but I'm not sure how much I should expect to pay for a pup. I don't need a show dog or a working dog. I want a friend and family member, but I want him to be healthy too! I know I can go to a breeder, but I feel like I'd end up paying several thousand for a puppy that would be just as healthy as one that I got elsewhere.

I live in Jacksonville, so I'm looking around my area. I keep hearing good things on this forum about Betty at LittleRiverCanine, but I don't know how much she charges.

I did see someone posting about AKC registered puppies here: AKC German Shepherd puppies | Jasper | eBay Classifieds (Kijiji) | 35383684

...but I feel like this board would give me a big slap in the face for even considering something other than a breeder. I'm stuck! What should I do?
Vitai Slade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2014, 09:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It's not up to this board to judge you or your dog. Do your research and get a pup or dog that you feel comfortable with .
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2014, 09:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Contact Betty. She is a member of this board. If I were in FL., she absolutely would have been on my list of potential breeders.

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2014, 10:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
It's not up to this board to judge you or your dog. Do your research and get a pup or dog that you feel comfortable with .
The reason this forum supports RESPONSIBLE breeders (not just anyone who gets 2 dogs together and ends up with puppies) ---> How to find a puppy! ..........is because most of us are also responsible dog owners and are aware of the millions of dogs in kill shelters and rescues and don't want to use our $$$ to give to breeders who are contributing to dogs in this situation.

I'd say if a responsible breeder has pups that are too expensive, then I'd go the the route of the shelters and rescues because if you just want a great pup, and don't care about the lineage, then saving a life would be a big bonus !
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2014, 10:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieRoseLee View Post
The reason this forum supports RESPONSIBLE breeders (not just anyone who gets 2 dogs together and ends up with puppies) ---> How to find a puppy! ..........is because most of us are also responsible dog owners and are aware of the millions of dogs in kill shelters and rescues and don't want to use our $$$ to give to breeders who are contributing to dogs in this situation.

I'd say if a responsible breeder has pups that are too expensive, then I'd go the the route of the shelters and rescues because if you just want a great pup, and don't care about the lineage, then saving a life would be a big bonus !
And this was exactly my point. You can get a pup/dog through rescue or a shelter and not spend thousands if that is what one is comfortable with. The board can support and should support responsible breeders but they still shouldn't judge a person and a person shouldn't feel judged. Like I said the OP should do some research and do what they are comfortable with.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2014, 11:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

I do judge people that go to shelters and rescues.

I judge that they are wonderful people who care about dogs and know that it's important to them to show that love. They know that it's not the amount of money you spend to get a wonderful dog to add to the joys in your life.

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2014, 11:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieRoseLee View Post

Wellbred GSD puppies will cost you anywhere from $1,200-$3,000.

If that is too much money for you then rescue would be a fantastic option if you can't/don't want to save up the money for a wellbred puppy.

Rescuing is awesome and rewarding!

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ male Dalmatian 6.30.13
LaRen616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2014, 11:28 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRen616 View Post

Wellbred GSD puppies will cost you anywhere from $1,200-$3,000.

If that is too much money for you then rescue would be a fantastic option if you can't/don't want to save up the money for a wellbred puppy.

Rescuing is awesome and rewarding!
^^^
Yes
misslesleedavis1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2014, 11:49 AM   #9 (permalink)

I just paid $1500 for my pup. I wanted/needed assurance on health. 3 months ago I PTS a 14 month old, due to health issues. Absolutely heart breaking. I did not want to go through that again. I paid $700 for that dog.
Years before I had adopted a 10 month old, and she lived to be 12.
Old 10-26-2014, 12:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I do not currently have a litter, I'm more than happy to help in way way though, please feel free to contact me via pm with any questions you may have.

Marienhof Kennels is in Jacksonsville. I have used their male on my last couple of litters and was very pleased. I don't know if Michael has a litter currently though. Michael also has a club that meets at his property and it was a nice group of people that supported each other.

If you are willing to look outside Florida I believe Lee Hough of this board has done a recent breeding. Lee has a true multi generational breeding program which is something I admire and think we need far more of in this country.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.