German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Finding the Right Puppy (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/finding-right-puppy/)
-   -   Anyone also have a Golden Retriever? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/finding-right-puppy/484913-anyone-also-have-golden-retriever.html)

arctic 09-01-2014 03:35 PM

Anyone also have a Golden Retriever?

I'd like to get another dog when mine is over 18 months old (my female GSD is 6 months old now).

I would like a well-tempered female Golden Retriever but people seem to think getting a male would be preferable (male-female combo being optimal).

Anyone have a Golden Retriever - German Shepherd family? How has it been so far? Is it true that Goldens SHED MORE and SMELL more doggy than GSDs?

Thanks!

annap24 09-01-2014 03:57 PM

I don't have a Golden Retriever, but I do have a Lab and a Lab mix. My GSD and Lab are both females and get along well, but I too have heard that is rare. Mine may get along because my Lab is very submissive to my GSD so they really don't ever butt heads. My lab/basset/beagle mix sheds more than my GSD, but my lab sheds less, probably because she is on a special food for her skin/coat because of some issues in the past. I think the important thing is introducing them properly and teaching them what is/isn't acceptable. Also, vacuuming every other day at the minimum. :)

arctic 09-01-2014 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by annap24 (Post 5973697)
I don't have a Golden Retriever, but I do have a Lab and a Lab mix. My GSD and Lab are both females and get along well, but I too have heard that is rare. Mine may get along because my Lab is very submissive to my GSD so they really don't ever butt heads. My lab/basset/beagle mix sheds more than my GSD, but my lab sheds less, probably because she is on a special food for her skin/coat because of some issues in the past. I think the important thing is introducing them properly and teaching them what is/isn't acceptable. Also, vacuuming every other day at the minimum. :)

My GSD is shedding so much. I can't even pet her right now without leaving a pile of fur on the floor. And that's AFTER brushing until my hand goes numb every morning.

llombardo 09-01-2014 04:38 PM

I have two male goldens along with a male GSD and a female GSD. I'm lucky as far as shedding goes, it's minimal for all( right now none), but when the seasons change and there is shedding, the goldens beat the GSD's. None of my dogs smell, but I have also heard that goldens have an odor about them. The two breeds compliment each other well. They all love water and swimming. My youngest golden picked up lots of stuff from the male GSD. The goldens play style is completely like a shepherds. My older golden doesn't put up with Midnite trying to boss him around and stands his ground. Since there isn't a huge age gap I would suggest getting a male golden to go with your female GSD.

huntergreen 09-01-2014 04:54 PM

most goldens are nice dogs, should be a nice combo.

Colie CVT 09-01-2014 11:35 PM

I have a golden (male) and two shepherds (one male and one female). This is the second time that I've lived in a situation with a golden and a shepherd. My first dog was a white shepherd and when she was a year, my brother/father got a male golden puppy. Kenai was not a fan of other dogs, but they got along as well as could be expected lol. Neither of them were well socialized, and Griz was a spazz, so I swore I'd never own a golden of my own.

Flash forward and I have a neutered male golden that I absolutely adore, and my two white shepherds. The female is older than my golden, and the puppy that I got at the start of this year is still intact and he and the golden are absolute best friends. I agree with llombardo, the way that goldens and shepherds play is very similar. Myles is a very vocal player who uses his paws a lot. He likes to chase and wrestle. He and Doyle literally will play all day long if allowed. They get along swimmingly, however Doyle is not always friendly to a new dog until he gets to know them. But I definitely think golden and shepherd is a good mix. It's the best of both worlds and the things that they like to do/don't like to do almost seems to make one perfect dog out of two of them lol.

I would personally aim for a male golden. The female GSD in this house do not get along if left to their own devices. We have to watch and police their interaction. Males seem hardwired to believe that females rule the universe. Makes your life much simpler. ;)

arctic 09-02-2014 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colie CVT (Post 5975217)
I have a golden (male) and two shepherds (one male and one female). This is the second time that I've lived in a situation with a golden and a shepherd. My first dog was a white shepherd and when she was a year, my brother/father got a male golden puppy. Kenai was not a fan of other dogs, but they got along as well as could be expected lol. Neither of them were well socialized, and Griz was a spazz, so I swore I'd never own a golden of my own.

Flash forward and I have a neutered male golden that I absolutely adore, and my two white shepherds. The female is older than my golden, and the puppy that I got at the start of this year is still intact and he and the golden are absolute best friends. I agree with llombardo, the way that goldens and shepherds play is very similar. Myles is a very vocal player who uses his paws a lot. He likes to chase and wrestle. He and Doyle literally will play all day long if allowed. They get along swimmingly, however Doyle is not always friendly to a new dog until he gets to know them. But I definitely think golden and shepherd is a good mix. It's the best of both worlds and the things that they like to do/don't like to do almost seems to make one perfect dog out of two of them lol.

I would personally aim for a male golden. The female GSD in this house do not get along if left to their own devices. We have to watch and police their interaction. Males seem hardwired to believe that females rule the universe. Makes your life much simpler. ;)

Perfect! Thanks.

The males Goldens I've seen seem HUGE! Almost fat.

Is this a genetic thing that varies with the parents, or do all male Goldens get so "fat" looking?

Colie CVT 09-02-2014 01:42 AM

In my experience when it comes to weight and goldens, you have to be a proactive person to keep them in shape. They love to eat. I haven't met many goldens who don't have a rather big love for food lol. They however can be kept in good shape and at a good weight. Part of it is genetics, the other part is what you feed and how much and the last part is what kind of exercise that they get.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...psk9twzyks.jpg

This is my golden who is four years old now. He hasn't really ever been overweight. His body is lean and he has a decent amount of muscling. I still remember the look on the face of the physiotherapist that I work with when she was showing me some back massage exercises to do with my female shepherd when she had injured herself. He is definitely a strong and lean boy.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ps968zr6qd.jpg

Myles usually weighs between 66-68 lbs. This is what I have found seems perfect for him. And he definitely does not lack treats in his life lol. :) But we stay active, I work on keeping his core strong and he has really good stamina to boot. He grew up with herding dogs for his best friends, so he is very agile and quick on his feet.

warpwr 09-02-2014 01:52 AM

Years ago we had a Golden Retriever female and a German Shepherd female.
The Shepherd was adopted and older than the Golden and they got along very well together, training together, etc.

Diane said she would never have another Golden Retriever though because of the shedding.

Me? I loved the dog. She was kind, obedient, intelligent and mellow with people and other dogs. I figure that any of the three breeds used as guide dogs are ok by me.

arctic 09-02-2014 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warpwr (Post 5975433)
Years ago we had a Golden Retriever female and a German Shepherd female.
The Shepherd was adopted and older than the Golden and they got along very well together, training together, etc.

Diane said she would never have another Golden Retriever though because of the shedding.

Me? I loved the dog. She was kind, obedient, intelligent and mellow with people and other dogs. I figure that any of the three breeds used as guide dogs are ok by me.

Did you find the Golden shedding that much worse than the shedding a GSD does?