Driving to pick up a puppy? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2014, 03:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Driving to pick up a puppy?

Anyone here drive across states to pick up your puppy?
If there's a case that you live in west coast and you know that there's a litter from dogs that you really want a puppy from. ( dog sport)
Do you prefer to drive there or have a puppy ship to you?
gabyeddo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2014, 06:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

I drove 5 1/2 hrs one way (from NY to ME) to get my dog from the breeder (twice). No real reason other than I don't fly (scaredy cat) so couldn't bring myself to put a puppy on a plane.
5 kitties, 1 goldfish, 1 dove, 1 cockatiel
CindyMDBecker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2014, 04:16 AM   #3 (permalink)

I live in CA. I'm doing my research on Schutzhund dogs who owners are living on east coast. I'm expecting puppies from these dogs to have high drive and do excellent in Schutzhund.
Do you guys think that I should drive to get a pup and drive back? Or have the breeder ship a pup to me?
gabyeddo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2014, 09:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

You could always fly and drive back.

Or just fly. Puppies are usually small enough to fly as a carry on.
lauren43 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2014, 09:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

That being said my breeder assured me that shipping a pup is 100% safe. I know that I personally would have an anxiety attack knowing the pup was flying all alone!
lauren43 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2014, 09:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

cross country? i would ship. across the state? i would drive.
huntergreen is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2014, 10:36 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I drove 2 hours for Draven (IL).

I drove 2.5 hours for Sinister (IL).

I drove 5.5 hours for an insane Husky puppy (MI).

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ male Dalmatian 6.30.13
LaRen616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2014, 11:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I drove 18+ hours each way to pick up my puppy when weather was too unpredictable for shipping
GatorDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2014, 01:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

We had Halo shipped from Connecticut to San Francisco, Keefer was shipped from Portland Oregon to Oakland, and we flew to Portland and drove 10 hours home with Dena.

With Dena we wanted to meet the breeder, and my husband has relatives in the Portland area, so we flew up on Friday, hung out at the breeder's house for a few hours playing with Dena, then spent the night at his aunt and uncle's house. The next morning we went back and picked Dena up and drove home. I had ordered a crate and had it shipped directly to the breeder's house, so it was waiting for us when we got there.

We got Keefer from the same breeder, so we felt comfortable having him shipped. We're 15 or 20 minutes from the Oakland airport, and it's a short flight.

We were anxious about Halo being shipped that far, but she arrived just fine. This was in January, and the weather was terrible that year. The breeder drove 2-1/2 hours to put her on a direct flight from Newark to SFO. It was a long day, she didn't arrive until around 8 or 8:30 at night, and then we had a 35 or 40 minute drive home. We tried to keep busy so we wouldn't worry, going out to lunch and then a trip to Costco, but once we got home I was obsessively checking her flight status online, lol. It had to be culture shock for her, she'd never been outside without snow on the ground, and we were having unseasonably warm weather, around 70 degrees.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2014, 03:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

I have driven to WI, TX , IL and VA for puppies (I am in MI). Also had puppies shipped from CA and TX. I have shipped puppies to CA, TX. I had a woman in AZ fly to MO, meet a friend, drive here and then drive the full 2000 miles home. Sort of depends on what you want to do. A cross country drive with a pup would be more than I would want to do.

Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what the 2x4 is made of.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.