Meeting new pups in 5 days! ADVICE PLEASE! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2014, 09:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Meeting new pups in 5 days! ADVICE PLEASE!

Thanks to the members of this forum for the wide variety of high-quality information for german shepherd lovers/owners/new owners. We have been waiting for our new pups since Feb. and have been reading the threads in this forum, trying to learn as much as possible in preparation for our puppies.
I appreciate the candor of the forum's members. We decided to welcome two male GSD puppies (litter mates) prior to reading the reams of information advising to the contrary. With that being said, we remain committed to raising well-adjusted, independent GSD's who happen to be litter mates (sometimes ignorance is bliss).
Classes will be frequent and on-going. They will be separate in order for the pups to learn to become confident as individuals. THIS IS OUR PLAN.
I'm sure many on this forum are shaking your heads as you read this, thinking how naive we must be…and we are….but we are committed. We are meeting our pups next Wednesday and bringing them home in three weeks.
My first (of many) questions: Do you have any words of wisdom regarding choosing our pups? Our breeder told us he is pretty sure which pups we will choose but wants us to make the decision. He will be performing temperament testing the day before we arrive and will provide that info for us. We are aiming for search and rescue training for our dogs. I know we want pups with high play drive and lower prey drive. Should we aim for one pup who is clearly more dominant than the other…or should we choose similar personalities? Feel free to blast away….critique, etc. All constructive, well-intentioned responses are greatly appreciated. Pictures will follow soon. Thanks in advance!
Jake and Elwood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2014, 09:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Well, best wishes in getting what you want with two males growing up together. The breeder should be the one to match them for better compatibility. Nothing you see in a window of time will tell you anything that the breeder doesn't already know. If your breeder is responsible it may work. But most responsible breeders would not agree to littermates going to the same home unless they were going to be worked in sport or competitive type trainining and the handler(s)being fairly experienced.
I wouldn't want a dominant or overly submissive pup...middle of the road on both would work better for a pet home.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you for your response. My husband and I share the "failure is not an option" philosophy and are committed to providing an environment for litter mates to thrive/grow/prosper. Historically, we have had rescues (GSD's) with great success. My background is medicine, specifically neonatal intensive care so have been a student of human growth and development for > 30 years…..fascinating to me to compare/contrast human vs canine developmental milestones…strength and weaknesses. This is indeed, a humbling experience and stimulates me to bring my best efforts to this challenge.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I can't believe a responsible breeder would ever allow two littermates to go to the same home. Especially what sounds like a regular pet home.

I don't think there's anything anyone can really say to help you choose the right puppies other than don't do it. You said you're committed, but what does that mean? You've got deposits down? Take the loss if that's the case. Probably not what you want to hear, but it's probably the best advice anyone can give when thinking about bringing two home at once.
Lucy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2014, 10:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

Jake and Elwood--Welcome to the forum! There is a lot of good information here and I know it has really helped me. My GSD puppy will be six months old tomorrow. I have lots of dog experience, but I can honestly say that raising a GSD puppy is a whole new level of puppyhood.

I have never put so much energy, time, and money into a dog (and I have had an Old English Sheepdog in full coat for AKC conformation). My GSD is way too smart for his own good. It is like having a human baby, except that I can crate him.

Two German Shepherd puppies may start out easy, but they do not let you forget that you are raising a GSD. Best of luck, whatever you decide!

Last edited by Moriah; 08-01-2014 at 10:41 PM.
Moriah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2014, 11:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

Committed means I've changed jobs in order to have more time for the pups…it means we've spent > $$ 50,000 preparing our home (fencing for our property, an RV for traveling with our pups, etc). dog doors, crates, trainers, etc. When i say we are committed I mean it. This certainly doesn't guarantee success. My husband and I live lifestyles of sacrificing sleep for "the overall good" so we are well prepared for the sacrifices required for this challenge…obviously doesn't guarantee success. We will go down fighting for our pups if that's what it takes….but we are committed.

Thanks Moriah! Time will tell.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

Has ANY GSD owner ever had a successful experience with litter mates? (I work with two GSD owners with awesome littermate success stories so just wondering about the experience of the members of this forum).
Old 08-01-2014, 11:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Raising two gsd pups isn't impossible. It's just hard work. If they are low/medium energy pet dogs then that will help.

I get a pup because I want to mold it my way. I also get a pup so I can enjoy the puppy stuff. Getting two at once can be so much work that you don't really have the time to enjoy the pups. It can literally become a job.

I'm saying this assuming you got two well bred pups. Get two byb possibly nervy/possibly unhealthy dogs and you might regret your decision big time.
Gib_laut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2014, 12:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Location: Clio, California, close to anyway. Live in a remote mountain area.

My awesome dog/son was adopted. The former owners surrended him to a rescue shelter. They told me that the story was "he would get to big". I am so glad we got him. He was isolated due to"agressive actions" For an entire year! He was so open when we brought him home and so eager to finally run free(8.9acres). Hard headed but always thinking trying to anticipate what we want from him. A very easy learner just has his "joke" times too. Have a great time with your pups. May find they learn better,who knows.
Skywalkers Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2014, 08:53 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake and Elwood View Post
Committed means I've changed jobs in order to have more time for the pups…it means we've spent > $$ 50,000 preparing our home (fencing for our property, an RV for traveling with our pups, etc). dog doors, crates, trainers, etc. When i say we are committed I mean it. This certainly doesn't guarantee success. My husband and I live lifestyles of sacrificing sleep for "the overall good" so we are well prepared for the sacrifices required for this challenge…obviously doesn't guarantee success. We will go down fighting for our pups if that's what it takes….but we are committed.
The most important item on your list is TRAINER. While I admire your enthusiasm, your career in neonatal and your RV do not mean a thing when raising two puppies together.

Training....Yes, this can be done. In my opinion, your biggest hurdle will be having the dogs bond with YOU and not each other. I saw a couple raising two litter mates and it was a disaster. The dogs were so bonded to each other they would have melt downs when separated. If another dog can near the two, the one would attack.

So, IMO, what you need to do is make sure both you and your husband are working each dog independently. These puppies are going to bond with whoever trains them. If you want a balanced home, you will have to train each puppy which means double the work for both of you. You are going to have to work on pack drive to make your household work smoothly.

Good luck and have fun! You are going to have a very busy next two years!

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.