So I put a deposit down on a puppy before it was born. There were only two puppies born in the litter. I wanted a female the other person wanted a male. I was told the female would be mine after they were born.
The breeder has contacted me. They are just now 5 weeks old and I am head over heels for this puppy. I want her so bad and was planning on going to meet her next weekend.
The breeder believes she will be too much dog for me. She said she will "She will probably be pretty loud with a tendency to leak drive and have some difficulty capping" and that she will need more structure in her training. And she has some noise sensitivity.
I have lots of plans for this puppy. I want to do agility, flyball, therapy...pretty much anything she can excel at. But having a breeder tell you the puppy you've attached yourself to is probably going to be too much for you, well it just sucks.
I trust the breeder. I know she knows what she's talking about. But I'm so attached already. I do believe I could handle her if I wanted it bad enough. Ugh this sucks...I guess I may not be getting a puppy after all...
I don't think their personalities are "set" at 5 weeks old. But if you trust her and you want to do all these things with the puppy, then I would think you need a different dog that is more confident, less noisy and noise sensitive.
Here's the whole quote: "She is very feisty and has a little crazy eye. She will probably be pretty loud with a tendency to leak drive and have some difficulty capping. She does not like to snuggle (unlike her brother). She is not body sensitive and is the more dominant one out of the two. She has very high prey drive and good food drive. She likes to explore and is pretty confident. I have noticed some sensitive to noise (like the vacuum)."
I have no idea what to do. I have already made arrangements with work so I could be ready for her arrival. And I know that I'm willing to work with her. I will admit I was looking for something a little "easier" this time around. But I've always been willing to do what ever it takes with my dogs.
I'm still planning on meeting her at 6 weeks and making the decision from there. I do appreciate the breeder being honest with me.
I sorry you're so disappointed but in the long run, it's better to know now that you won't be able fulfill your dreams - either that, or reconsider what you want to do with your dog for the next 10 years. If you're dead-set on these activities, then you should get a puppy that will go along with your plans. Or if you're totally attached to this particular puppy, then you should think about what else you'd like to do for activities instead.
I'm assuming leaking drive and having a hard time capping just means no off switch, right? If she gets tugging she won't want to stop? Not so good with the lingo. I know dog behavior but not in working dog terms...
leaking drive as i understand it is simply a tendency to yap and yelp a lot when waiting to work
hard time capping could mean the same thing
maturity may help with this but i am no expert
our last dog yelped and carried on a lot when excited and it drove me nuts
we used a bark collar when traveling or people gawked at us like we were beating the tar out of him
if that sort of thing bothers you or you live in an apartment where you need a quiet dog this could be a factor