Should I get a German Shepard? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2014, 02:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Should I get a German Shepard?

Hi guy, I'm new to this forum. I never had a dog before, this would be my first dog. I was looking to buy a cat but I game across this three month old female German Shepard puppy. She was INCREDIBLY friendly. She sat on my lap for a good 10 minutes and wagged his tail intensely. So, I decided I want her. I'm living with my parents and since our house is under renovation, we are living in an small apartment (roughly 17,000 square feet). In about a year, I'll be going off to college. The four colleges I'm applying to all have increadebly small dorms so I'll defiantly rent (maybe buy) a place near the college but they would still be small. Would a German Shepard be a bad dog for me? I can defiantly take them out for a run every day (maybe even two runs). Should I get Filo (I already name her) or should I leave him for a more fit human?
Banana-Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2014, 02:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Dogs, especially puppies, need more than just exercise. They need a lot of training and your time. I would not recommend a puppy if you're going to college. College is a time when you'll be figuring out who you are and what you want to do for the rest of your life, not to mention the college social life. Having a dog with you will definitely hold you back from participating in as much as you could have. Now, if you don't mind giving up an active social life and being home a lot, then maybe. I realize everyone is different. But if you're looking for the "college experience" then no, don't do it.

Besides, the fastest way to make friends in college is to live in the dorms for a year.

Pookie, Papillon 4/17/09
Kaiser, GSD 4/14/11
Verivus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2014, 02:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I wouldn't recommend a GSD for a college going student. I mean it partially depends on your major, what type of college you're going to (sounds like a state or university level one because you'll be on campus *assumption*)...and your ability to manage your time as well as your dedication to your studies...

MAYBE a small, older dog would be better (?). But IMO it's time for you to focus on your education (if college is a priority for you). You're young. You'll have plenty of time in the future to raise a puppy. And believe me, puppies are easy to get attached to even though it may feel like right now you found a fitting one.
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2014, 06:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeva View Post
I wouldn't recommend a GSD for a college going student. I mean it partially depends on your major, what type of college you're going to (sounds like a state or university level one because you'll be on campus *assumption*)...and your ability to manage your time as well as your dedication to your studies...

MAYBE a small, older dog would be better (?). But IMO it's time for you to focus on your education (if college is a priority for you). You're young. You'll have plenty of time in the future to raise a puppy. And believe me, puppies are easy to get attached to even though it may feel like right now you found a fitting one.
I (hopefully, if my interests don't change) will be majoring in molecular-bio and physics. I'll be applying to 4 good schools and a safe school; Harvard, Yale, MIT, and Stanford. The safe school (I hope I don't have to go there) is UCB.

I don't really expect myself to study a whole lot. Yes, I'll be a college student but I'll still have lots of time to spend with her. My main concern is that would an apartment be to small for a German Shepard? I probably can groom her a few times a week, would that be too little to maintain a clean and hairless apartment? I have a mini lab in my room, would she jump on the desk and break stuff?

Thanks for your help guys.
Banana-Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2014, 06:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I went to school for engineering and biology and there wasn't a chance in heck I would have had time for a GSD. Especially living in an apartment- where you will have to dedicate even more time to them. I would, at the very least, wait a couple of years until you have a better idea of what your course load entails.

From one over-achiever to another, I guarantee you... you are grossly underestimating your work load.
LoveEcho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2014, 06:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

It would be difficult to go to college full time and care for the dog. I just finished an accelerated course and I had very little time to care for my dogs. Thankfully my husband took over for me, but if it was my sole responsibility my school work and grades would have suffered. My dogs come first.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

I'm just distracted by 17000 sqft being small...lol

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
lauren43 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2014, 06:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren43 View Post
Well, to the Sultan of Brunei, that is a broom closet
Old 07-13-2014, 07:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren43 View Post

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Lol and a few other things in this thread
lalachka is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2014, 07:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana-Man View Post
Harvard, Yale, MIT, and Stanford. The safe school (I hope I don't have to go there) is UCB.
[...]
My main concern is that would an apartment be to small for a German Shepard?
As a proud alumna of one of those schools, may I humbly suggest researching how to spell the breed name?

My DH, a Caltech alumnus, just observed that he would expect students at MIT to write about "Shepards." Just sayin'.... Sorry, we couldn't help it--the MIT/Caltech rivalry is deep--esp. in the Physics Dept.

As to your question: no, you won't have time for a dog. At any of those schools, if you fail to immerse yourself in all that they have to offer in order to spend a lot of time goofing off with a dog, you'll have wasted an opportunity. If you do things properly, you'll soon be very, very busy with extracurricular activities, brilliant friends who inspire you, independent research, and advanced seminars.

Moreover, living in an apt. in Cambridge or New Haven with a dog in winter would be positively dreadful at your age. Living with a dog in Palo Alto or Berkeley would be marginally better because of the weather, but you still won't have time for it. All four of those cities also have very tight housing markets, so finding a rental with a dog would be difficult -- unless you don't mind living in a sketchy area, far from campus. The best social life will be on campus, in the dorms, your Freshman year. Don't underestimate how worth knowing your fellow students may be. One of the most important aspects attending an elite institution is sharing ideas with the great minds all around you--and that as often as not happens over a beer on a Sunday afternoon as in the library during a study session. You'll miss out on that if you have to spend the day training or exercising the dog because it's been cooped up all week.
Magwart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.