German Shepherds Forum banner

Puppy here soon (mal)

7K views 46 replies 28 participants last post by  MyHans-someBoy 
#1 ·
Odin x Echo puppies - YouTube

Here's a first look at the Ot Vitosha C litter. They are 6 weeks old this Wednesday, so that means two more weeks before a trip to Florida to get the little maligator.

It's been a busy few weeks around here. I just a week ago got back from a two week long trip where I got to train with Lisa Gellers mondioring club, and also attended a Mia Skogster seminar at Leerburg.

We are in the process of constructing our own mondioring field here at the kennel and it is shaping up quite nicely. I'm pretty excited about not having to travel a bunch to train mock trials although that will still happen frequently. I also ordered a fitted Demanet semi comp suit which will probably not be here till September at the earliest but I'm excited about that.

One of the kennel dogs here named Monkey won a role in the upcoming MWD movie called Max. Filming is happening in NC, and Monkey will be playing an 8 month old puppy Max in the movie, so that's exciting too.

Anyway more pictures of the little guy soon to come.

See less See more
#29 ·
Probably won't be a whole lot of me working him for a while. He's learning how to not be a lunatic at the moment. As things stand wearing pants in his presence can start an unintentional bite work session. So lot of relaxation socialization and going on little adventures.

#34 ·
He's doing great. We are on the road back from Lisa Gellers field in MN. It was his first road training trip and his first real bitework experience. I have video i need to upload first but we are now going to OBX to play at the beach.

#37 ·
Congrats on the great pup and I hope you don't mind a question

I often read about the importance of bit inhibition so that dog don't bite you as described in your thread however this same bite is required / needed for bite work if I'm not wrong (am I right?)

How do you manage one (unwanted biting to your feet for example) while encouraging the other? (bite work)

Thanks

#38 ·
There is a big difference between a dog or puppy biting on hands or feet or pant legs and going after an agitating decoy or helper with equipment on. Dogs are capable of discriminating the difference. The idea that correcting a dog for jumping on people or biting people will ruin their ability to do the work is a total myth. If you had a dog that refused to bite in a working environment because it was corrected outside of that then you shouldn't even bother wasting your time on a dog like that for any bite sport.

#40 · (Edited)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HKY69xQsTg&feature=youtu.be

Recently took him to Rogue Ringsport in MN have been back for a few weeks but this is his first bitework at 11-12 weeks He's been developing in an amazing way. Probably my once in a lifetime dog. Real training hasn't started yet. He's been going on adventures with me. Traveling across the country. In a two-three week period hes been on a road trip to MN and back to the east coast to the outter banks of NC. He travels well in the crate, chills well, turns it on when its time to turn it on. I've trained a lot of dogs and I've never seen one this exceptional at that age.

#42 ·
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HKY69xQsTg&feature=youtu.be

Recently took him to Rogue Ringsport in MN have been back for a few weeks but this is his first bitework at 11-12 weeks He's been developing in an amazing way. Probably my once in a lifetime dog. Real training hasn't started yet. He's been going on adventures with me. Traveling across the country. In a two-three week period hes been on a road trip to MN and back to the east coast to the outter banks of NC. He travels well in the crate, chills well, turns it on when its time to turn it on. I've trained a lot of dogs and I've never seen one this exceptional at that age.
Bailif i know you have 20 ish dogs at a time to train but how many dogs do you own ? is the mal yours ?

#41 ·
He's wicked coordinated for a puppy.

Is he super focused on you? Peppy wasn't happy if she didn't have access to me when I was around. A physical barrier separating us (fence or the like) was just a horrible time for her. I could do stuff and she wasn't underfoot, but she was in striking distance pretty much 24/7. Go outside the fenced area and she had a fit, and being a Mal, she would circumvent the fence to have access to me.

#44 · (Edited)
I only own two at the moment. The mal is one of them. The other is Zebu the half mal half german shepherd that I washed from ringsport and is now basically my sporty pet dog I have fun with.

When I ask for it Crank is super focused. He's also really good in the crate as it was something I worked on heavily. Most times you can't tell there's a dog in his crate he's so quiet. He's also got a great off switch for pet stuff. He can sleep through the night in bed next to me or chill out on the couch when we watch tv and it is something I'm working on cultivating so that he stays that way as he ages.

I'll never say never but more than likely I'll stick with Malinois from here on out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.