German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Finding the Right Puppy (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/finding-right-puppy/)
-   -   Working Homes and Pet Homes (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/finding-right-puppy/465354-working-homes-pet-homes.html)

glowingtoadfly 06-29-2014 08:10 PM

Working Homes and Pet Homes

A discussion came up in a recent thread about working homes and pet homes. I am curious about what makes a pet home and what makes a working home. How much time do you need to spend to count as a working home and are there differences in the dogs you should choose?

Gretchen 06-29-2014 08:16 PM

Forgive me but I'm confused about your question.
I often work from home and I have pets that we interact with a lot.
I also take my dog to work on most days that I need to be there.
Both places my dog acts as a guard dog, but is on alert a lot more at my place of business.

glowingtoadfly 06-29-2014 08:19 PM

I think doing dog sports or obedience or something with your dog makes you a working home by the definition of many... But if you can take your dog to work with you I am very jealous. I think guarding your work counts as work...

Gretchen 06-29-2014 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glowingtoadfly (Post 5708642)
I think doing dog sports or obedience or something with your dog makes you a working home by the definition of many... But if you can take your dog to work with you I am very jealous. I think guarding your work counts as work...

Oh, sorry no we don't do dog sports. Molly's had injuries the last 18 months.
She is just naturally a very protective girl and if we had a larger place would herd our cats.

llombardo 06-29-2014 08:31 PM

I don't know if I would consider my home a working home. I have 6 dogs and at any given time at least one is doing some kind of obedience, agility, or Rally. Looking into dock diving now, but it's all for fun. I guess if I wasn't rotating or moving to different things with all the dogs I would possibly title some of them in some venues.

Packen 06-29-2014 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glowingtoadfly (Post 5708594)
A discussion came up in a recent thread about working homes and pet homes. I am curious about what makes a pet home and what makes a working home. How much time do you need to spend to count as a working home and are there differences in the dogs you should choose?

Good question, the answer may surprise! I see "pet people" spend a lot more time with their dogs as compared to "working people". I have a few friends that are strictly in the pet category, they walk the dogs in the mornings and the evenings, take them on hikes, swims, group meets, dog dates etc etc. A good average would be 4 hours/day, 28 hours/week. Average working home will spend less time on a daily basis with their dogs.

So if you were to chart the number of hours spent weekly interacting with your dogs the pet people easily beat the working people.
If you chart the number of miles driven weekly, working people go off the charts.
If you chart the engagement level, the working teams are off the charts despite spending lesser time 1 0n 1.

A good analogy would be driving. A regular driver drives every day and a lot more miles as compared to a race car driver. The race car driver drives in small sessions over a closed road course, has much less miles under his belt as compared to the regular driver/commuter. But the experience level of the two and the skill set required is day and night different. The race driver can easily switch into the commuter's role but it is not true the other way around.

selzer 06-29-2014 08:36 PM

I think a working home, is a home where the dog works with the owner, like herds sheep every day for a living, or is a service dog every day, or is a military working dog or police dog. A dog that is trained/certified and does SAR would be a working home in my opinion.

People who do schutzhund or protection sports could be considered a working home. But they aren't. They have a pet and they put it through training for specific things. They perhaps spend more time each week training that other venues, but in my opinion this would be a sport home.

People who do obedience, agility, rally, etc, would also be a sport home, but these would be people that are truly into it. People who say, I would like to get the dog titled in something -- pet home.

People who do conformation with their dog would be a show home.

And then there are the pet people. The pet homes. These people can be awesome or awful, like most of the above. They have not and are not planning to do anything with the dog in the way of working, showing, performance. They may take the dog to training classes. They probably have no previous experience in any venue. Which means, that breeders are going to be looking at them carefully when they go to place a puppy there.

lalachka 06-29-2014 08:43 PM

Packen, good point about engagement level. I havent thought about that

glowingtoadfly 06-29-2014 09:00 PM

Why wouldn't it be easy to switch to being a working home from being a pet home?

Steve Strom 06-29-2014 09:06 PM

I just think of myself as a pet owner. Dogs I've gotten to do something with. I do that whether its conformation, obedience, or Sch. But my dog goes to work with me everyday, he goes camping with us. My Rott went with us to Disneyland with us.

I think I fit parts of what Selzer is describing.