Working Homes and Pet Homes - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2014, 09:52 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master Member

I just consider myself an active pet home. I have a dog(s) for companionship first and foremost. But right now having only a chihuahua, a chihuahua mind you, that barely walks on a leash and his idea of play is only with stuffed toys and even then he won't really tug...makes me miss the fun you can have with a big dog.

I want to do dog sports (agility, flyball, lure coursing) and I miss hiking with my dog and so on...like I did with my Avery.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
lauren43 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2014, 10:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
Knighted Member

My dogs are pets first and IPO dogs second. They live in the house with me and if they both wash out of the sport, they will stay in the family. This makes our home a pet home. I train with people who keep their dogs out side in dog runs. They have zero interaction with them expect to feed and train. If they wash out of the sport they are sold. I consider their homes to be working homes.
robk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2014, 10:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I consider house a cross between the two. I compete in multiple venues and train multiple days a week. My dogs also live inside, go hiking, running and for walks. I take them to the coffee shop to hang out. I pretty much take them everywhere. My dogs cuddle on the couch and all that type of stuff. Now that being said, I will re-home a dog that doesn't work. Equally I will re-home a dog that doesn't settle or is not suitable to do the other things I like to do. After all the GSD is supposed to be utilitarian isn't it?
mycobraracr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2014, 11:11 PM   #14 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycobraracr View Post
I consider house a cross between the two. I compete in multiple venues and train multiple days a week. My dogs also live inside, go hiking, running and for walks. I take them to the coffee shop to hang out. I pretty much take them everywhere. My dogs cuddle on the couch and all that type of stuff. Now that being said, I will re-home a dog that doesn't work. Equally I will re-home a dog that doesn't settle or is not suitable to do the other things I like to do. After all the GSD is supposed to be utilitarian isn't it?

Same, I do alot with my dog camping, hiking etc but if the dog is not capable of the level of preformance I am looking for, she will be sold.

The next dog I get will be treated the same I dont have space or time for washouts atm.
Such shy animals are in all circumstances an encumbrance to their owner, who must be ashamed of such a dog, and a disgrace to their race. Under no circumstances whatever must they be used for breeding, however noble and striking they may appear.
Blitzkrieg1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2014, 11:43 PM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I probably the most pet home on here. My dogs do not work, they do not do sport, only one has gone to puppy class. The chase rabbits and quail and lizards in the yard. We play fetch and tug and basketball. (by basketball I mean I kick the basketball and they chase it) They help me move the sprinklers around the yard and play in the water in the summer. In the winter we cuddle by the fire. They play chase and wrestle with each other and I'm fine with that, they still love me. Occasionally when the weather is nice I will take them for rides in the car. I don't feel like they have missed out on anything by not working and I don't think they feel like it either. They have a good life.
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2014, 01:32 AM   #16 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowingtoadfly View Post
Why wouldn't it be easy to switch to being a working home from being a pet home?
It is, if you're prone to that mindset.

I didn't set out to be a "sport home." I originally just wanted to do something that would help my fearful dog cope with life. I wasn't thinking about ribbons or titles or national placements. All that stuff just kind of sneaked up on me, and before I knew it, BAM!, my living room is cluttered with practice jumps and ring gates, half my Facebook friends are dog sport people, and I track performance litters with the creepy obsession of a childless aunt staring at other people's babies.

Wasn't on purpose. Just sort of happened.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:40 AM   #17 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycobraracr View Post
I consider house a cross between the two. I compete in multiple venues and train multiple days a week. My dogs also live inside, go hiking, running and for walks. I take them to the coffee shop to hang out. I pretty much take them everywhere. My dogs cuddle on the couch and all that type of stuff. Now that being said, I will re-home a dog that doesn't work. Equally I will re-home a dog that doesn't settle or is not suitable to do the other things I like to do.
Yes, this is what I'll do in the future as well.

I have a washout now. It sucks. It sucks for me, it sucks for the dog, and it's absolutely completely totally my fault it happened, because I was ignorant about picking dogs and didn't have the first clue what I was doing. (Here's that whole story, for whoever wants to read it: Washout: Crookytail’s Story | Team Unruly)

I made a commitment to my dog and I'm keeping it. He has a decent life, certainly better than the one he came from. It's the best I can make it. But it's nothing like the relationship or connection I have with my competition dog, and it's not fair to either of us, and if I had it to do over, I would have rehomed him to a loving pet home while I still had that chance.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:56 AM   #18 (permalink)

I would have to say it depends on which one of my dogs you ask.
Sabi had a job, trained and certified to work as my partner. Some weeks we were out 7 days a week, some weeks only 5. Some days 12 hours on occasion 18 or more, depending on calls.
Bud trained and washed out, unstable as a result of early abuse.
Shadow is a pet.
Next pup will likely be trained for work, whether or not we actually work remains to be seen but in this working home, the dogs eat in the kitchen, sleep on the bed and spend days off hanging out with me at whatever I'm doing. No outdoor kennels, no being left out, so I guess you might call me an active pet home instead.
Sabis mom is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2014, 02:11 AM   #19 (permalink)
Master Member

I guess I'm an active home on the cusp of being a sport home. Sport is still pretty new to me, and I'm taking my time learning the in's and out's and training Kaiju in it. But once he gets to competition level, I can't see myself ever going back. I'll take Kaiju as far as he'll go and when I get my second dog, I'll be going into it with clear intentions to continue doing sport.

Though I'll never be an outdoor kennel person. My dogs will always live primarily inside and will probably always sleep on my bed with me. So I guess I'm a pet home in that sense.
Pax8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2014, 04:44 AM   #20 (permalink)
Master Member

I am a pet home, 100% My dogs are not asked to do anything, just basic obedience. I suppose Eko and I could do a sport or something, he loves to do things for me it's part of why I love GSDs so much, you can see in his face how excited and happy he is to work and be rewarded. Xena has the energy to do a sport, but her environmental allergies are so insane she can't be outside longer than it takes to run out, potty, and run back inside.

I don't have much interest in any dog sports, but it could be I just haven't seen or heard of the right one for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.