Too good to be true? Getting a puppy of craiglist? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2014, 08:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Too good to be true? Getting a puppy of craiglist?

I want to get a german shepherd puppy as a family dog, and I came across this ad on craiglist.

CKC Black German Shepherd Puppies

is it too sketchy? Should I just save my money, I want to get a male puppy but, I am having some doubts.

any advice will be appreciated thanks!!
Trainspotting is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2014, 08:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

CKC is a scam registry. Avoid CL "breeders" at all costs- it's ALWAYS sketchy. Good breeders don't advertise on craigslist. In this particular ad, the parents look like they might not be purebred. Also, continuously referring to them as "Black German Shepherds" like they're their own breed is.... annoying :-p

Anyways, this ad is all scam and ripoff and shady breeding. Please don't support breeders like this. Save your money and go to a reputable breeder who actually produces quality dogs that improve the breed and isn't just out to make a buck... or look into rescue.
LoveEcho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2014, 08:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

If you don't care about good breeding, you could try to get one of these dogs. I would just advise you not give any money until you are there picking up your puppy.

Always loved, missed, and remembered:
Dakota GSD mix 3/26/04-5/04/14
vicky2200 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2014, 08:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

the parents look purebred....oversized maybe, but purebred....typical BY pet breeder who has nice pets and breeds them.....his info is pretty screwy...Seeing Eye does not use "mostly Black German Shepherds" by any means....

Buying pups from breeders like this enables and encourages back yard breeding....all pups are cute and lovable.....if you do go see them, ask for proof of the parents registration and certification from OFA for being clear of hip dysplasia....getting their registered names, you can check the OFA website (offa.org)

Lee

wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2014, 04:51 AM   #5 (permalink)

Neither parent looks healthy or cared for. I see runny eyes, poor condition and filthy matted coats.
And don't for one second think that your money will help any of that.

I would keep looking.
Sabis mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2014, 05:55 AM   #6 (permalink)

I don't know, be careful
Old 05-21-2014, 06:29 AM   #7 (permalink)

I would definitely keep looking.

Those puppies are cute though

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
tottie86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2014, 08:45 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I would definitely look elsewhere for a puppy.

If you do not have the money to buy from a reputable breeder who does all of the proper health testing, temperament tests, shows, works or does sports with their dogs then you could always adopt or rescue from a shelter.

Buying from a reputable breeder increases your odds of having a healthy, stable dog.

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ male Dalmatian 6.30.13
LaRen616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2014, 11:18 AM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRen616 View Post
If you do not have the money to buy from a reputable breeder who does all of the proper health testing, temperament tests, shows, works or does sports with their dogs then you could always adopt or rescue from a shelter.
If money's tight, you can almost always pick up an adolescent GSD (1-2 years old) from a high-kill shelter for under $100--or a few hundred through a rescue. This is especially true in Southern California, where young GSDs die in droves in public shelters. The genetics are just as much of a crapshoot as Craiglist (and a lot of shelter dogs likely came from the same general pool of pet dogs), but at least you'll be saving a life and doing a good deed. There's no reason to pay $600 IMHO for a dog from the general "pet dog" gene pool--they're everywhere in shelters.

There are at least 4 GS rescues that serve greater Los Angeles, and even with that many, I still see long lists of nice-looking GSDs in high-kill shelters there. You can check out these sites for listings:
Petfinder: Pet adoption: Want a dog or cat? Adopt a pet on Petfinder,
Adoptapet: Pet Adoption - Search dogs or cats near you. Adopt a Pet Today. Pictures of dogs and cats who need a home. Search by breed, age, size and color. Adopt a dog, Adopt a cat.
Petharbor: PetHarbor.com: Animal Shelter adopt a pet; dogs, cats, puppies, kittens! Humane Society, SPCA. Lost & Found.

Last edited by Magwart; 05-21-2014 at 11:22 AM.
Magwart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2014, 01:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The 'Black German Shepherd' is not a breed on it's own. It is a color. Just a color.

I'd suggest looking up what it takes to register your dog with CKC and then spend your money elsewhere.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.