Am I buying the right puppy? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2014, 10:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 25
Default Am I buying the right puppy?

I'm buying a puppy from a family and wanted to see if I'm doing things right.

The family has couple GSDs. Two of the females just had litters (same father). The father is a German GSD breed (heidelberg) and the mom whose litter I've chosen is also a German GSD breed. Both parents have their AKC registration and papers.

I've also made it a condition that the parents need to get OFA certified if Im going to get the puppy.

The puppies are two weeks old now (im getting a male puppy) and I plan to pick him up in 4 weeks (so he will be 6 weeks old).
Timsar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-30-2014, 11:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Moderator
 
gsdsar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 5,131
Default

Wait until he is 8 weeks.

If the parents are not already OFA , then I would pass. It should have been done well before either were bred. If it was not, then I would walk away.


Sent from Petguide.com Free App
__________________
"So that others may live"
gsdsar is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2014, 11:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdsar View Post
Wait until he is 8 weeks.

If the parents are not already OFA , then I would pass. It should have been done well before either were bred. If it was not, then I would walk away.


Sent from Petguide.com Free App
I guess the main issue the guy has with 6 weeks is that he doesn't want to pay for their shots at 6 weeks. I can tell him that I'll pay for those and want the puppies to stay with their mom until 8 weeks.

Why do you say 8 weeks anyways?

Why should the parents be OFA certified before the litter? Is it not good enough if they get OFA certified now (few weeks after the litter has been born)?

Last edited by Timsar; 04-30-2014 at 11:38 PM.
Timsar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2014, 11:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,121
Default

A big thing about ofa results is that it shows the breeder gived a darn. Even ofa excellent parents can put out dogs with hip displaysia so its not any kind of guarantee. It sounds like your potential breeder stinks from what youve said about shots.
volcano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2014, 11:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member
 
DaniFani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,408
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timsar View Post
I guess the main issue the guy has with 6 weeks is that he doesn't want to pay for their shots at 6 weeks. I can tell him that I'll pay for those and want the puppies to stay with their mom until 8 weeks.

Why do you say 8 weeks anyways?

Why should the parents be OFA certified before the litter? Is it not good enough if they get OFA certified now (few weeks after the litter has been born)?
It means the breeder isn't what most around here would consider an "ethical" breeder. Sounds very much like a backyard breeder, throwing some dogs together because they are purebred and AKC registerable (real word?). Most here would never support going to this breeder, given the information you've provided so far (not OFA'd, doesn't want to pay for the 6 week shots so sending the pups home early...etc..) Just sounds like an outfit most wouldn't support. On top of which you are setting yourself up for potential health and temperament problems by supporting a breeder who does no testing for either thing at all, rather than going to a breeder that temperament tests and health tests their stock (through sport, real world work, OFA hips and elbows, cardiac, DM, etc...). By selecting a breeder that does all these things with their stock you are stacking the odds in your favor for temperament and health.

The advice you are going to get is probably going to be a resounding, "keep looking." There are some great threads around here on "how to pick a breeder." Good luck.

Last edited by DaniFani; 04-30-2014 at 11:56 PM.
DaniFani is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2014, 07:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
Moderator
 
JakodaCD OA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Old Lyme, CT USA
Posts: 20,918
Default

I agree with all of the above, breeders who want to get rid of their puppies at 6 weeks tells me, 1. they don't want to clean up the mess puppies start making at that age, 2. they don't want to pay anything for vet visit/shots, but WILL collect your money for the price of a puppy.

No OFA? Health testing? Tells me again, they aren't willing to put the effort forth to see whether these dogs have HD, ED, or anything else. Irresponsible.
__________________
Diane

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2014, 07:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
martemchik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 4,333
Default

OFA takes time...I did x-rays on April 16th and still don't have the results back. Just yesterday I saw my credit card was run for the fee. So if the puppies are 2 weeks old, it would take them around a month if they're not dragging their feet to get the x-ray done, sent in to the OFA Institute, and get the results back.

I'm assuming right now they're just seeing if they can find other customers that aren't making any demands of them and will just sell to those instead of spending $400+ to get both dog's hips checked in the next month. I also don't know if the dam can really leave the puppies right now anyways.

So gsdsar just meant that you can easily hold off giving them money until the puppies are 8 weeks old, if at that point the parents don't have their hips checked, pass on the litter.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2014, 08:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
LaRen616's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 13,568
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdsar View Post
Wait until he is 8 weeks.

If the parents are not already OFA , then I would pass. It should have been done well before either were bred. If it was not, then I would walk away.


Quote:
Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA View Post
I agree with all of the above, breeders who want to get rid of their puppies at 6 weeks tells me, 1. they don't want to clean up the mess puppies start making at that age, 2. they don't want to pay anything for vet visit/shots, but WILL collect your money for the price of a puppy.

No OFA? Health testing? Tells me again, they aren't willing to put the effort forth to see whether these dogs have HD, ED, or anything else. Irresponsible.
__________________
Lauren

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ male Dalmatian 6.30.13
LaRen616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2014, 08:50 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
onyx'girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SW, MI
Posts: 24,459
Default

Puppies don't need shots at 6 weeks....that breeder needs to research vaccine protocols among other things. I'd pass based on the whole description you've shared.

Sad that people are failing this breed/ignorance is NO excuse.
__________________
Jane~
Kept by Onyx, Kacie and Karlo
onyx'girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2014, 08:58 AM   #10 (permalink)
Moderator
 
Liesje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 18,687
Default

6 weeks is too early for shots.

If he can't afford shots (when appropriate), how would he afford OFAs? I would not want the dam taken away from the litter and at a vet's office (where she will be exposed to all kinds of crap and then carry that back to the puppies) to have OFA x-rays done. Then it's going to take 2+ weeks for OFA to issue the certificate.
__________________
Coke (All-American 7/7/06)
Nikon (GSD 9/7/08)
Indy (All-American 5/10/12)
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:08 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset.net DobermanTalk.com GoldenRetrieverForum.com OurBeagleWorld.com
BoxerForums.com DogForums.com GoPitbull.com PoodleForum.com
BulldogBreeds.com FishForums.com HavaneseForum.com SpoiledMaltese.com
CatForum.com GermanShepherds.com Labradoodle-dogs.net YorkieForum.com
Chihuahua-People.com RetrieverBreeds.com