Buying a puppy from a friend, help and advice would be appreciated - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2014, 05:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I generally dislike doing business with friends. Considering the circumstances your friend should be paying you to take the pup, rather than you buying it.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2014, 05:15 PM   #12 (permalink)

She isn't a very close friend, more like someone I knew from high school and keep contact with through Facebook. A close friend would definitely not be selling me a puppy.

She is also not the type of person to advertise their puppies on Craigslist or Facebook in that matter. She is definitely not an expert on GSD's either. She knew that I had a puppy once and that she had to be put down. She told me to let her know if I wanted another one and I did. She recently told me that her dog just gave birth to 6 puppies and I jumped at the chance to get one.

I'm not defending her and I'm not 100% excited about this. I'm 100% excited about getting a GSD puppy but I'd still rather adopt one from a rescue or shelter before buying one. I hope I can make that clear that I am not trying to add to the problem of irresponsible breeding and I'm actually very opposed to that. I don't see her as being the person who has her dogs simply to let them breed and then sell the puppies at the cyclic rate. If I find out that is the case with her, then I'll cancel and find a different dog.
YORCHI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2014, 05:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Can I ask how much you are going to pay? If it's more than the cost to feed, deworm, and have the vet look at the pups, then it is too much and she will probably be making money off of them since she doesn't use the money to get the parents health screened, titled, etc. If it is truly an accidental breeding, she should be happy to place the pups without making money off of them.

I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2014, 05:30 PM   #14 (permalink)

$200 and she's going to make sure they have their first sets of shots and deworming.

Should I tell her that I'll only buy one if she has them screened by a vet? Or if the parents have papers to prove they're purebred?
Old 04-23-2014, 05:30 PM   #15 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YORCHI View Post
I don't have the money to buy one from a reputable breeder and it's almost the same thing as buying one from my friend except of course for the fact that the reputable breeder will provide a much better quality dog.
No, it's not at all the same thing. One of those choices supports the welfare of the breed that we all love. The other does not.

If you truly want to adopt from a rescue or shelter, and you can't find the exact puppy you want, then my first recommendation would be to broaden your criteria. Consider adopting an adolescent or adult dog, and consider mixes in addition to purebred puppies.

In most parts of the U.S. (and, from what I hear, most parts of Canada), it is not difficult to find adopters for purebred puppies. Demand for those dogs is very high, they get adopted quickly, and they tend to have their choices of excellent homes. There's often a long waiting list for these dogs. Everybody wants those puppies, because there is this widespread idea that a puppy will be a clean slate and totally malleable, and that a purebred puppy will automatically have the complement of traits that people stereotypically associate with its breed.

Both of those ideas are, in my opinion, completely wrongheaded. Puppies are not clean slates, they're crapshoots, especially puppies from unknown backgrounds (as most rescue and shelter pups are). Purebred dogs do not always have the traits that people associate with their breed stereotypes.

So if you want to rescue a dog, my advice is to figure out what you actually want -- what personality traits, what energy level, what kind of temperament -- and then look for a dog somewhere in the 6-month to 3-year range that has that personality and activity level.

Sometimes the right dog for you does not come in the package you anticipated. I have an Akita mix foster dog coming this weekend who will, in all probability, have a fantastic family dog personality: calm, gentle, affectionate, playful, sociable to people and other animals -- in short, not at all what people tend to associate with stereotypical Akitas. She's about a year old, so her personality and structure will be pretty much set. No crapshoot there: she's mature enough that what you see is what you get. And I think that is a much safer and more sensible choice for the average pet home than a cute fluffy question mark of a puppy would be, especially when we're talking about a breed like the GSD that has so many health and behavioral problems in its lines.

On the other hand, if you are absolutely dead set on having a purebred GSD for whatever reason, and you can't find one in rescue, then buy one from a responsible, ethical, knowledgeable breeder. Support a program that is striving to produce the best possible dog in all respects. If you have to save up for it, then save up.

But please do not support ignorance and greed by buying from someone who is not even trying to produce good, sound, healthy dogs.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:39 PM   #16 (permalink)
Knighted Member

^ Totally agree with Merciel's post above ^

to expand on what I was saying- if her dog has puppies, she needs to bring them to a vet before she charges anyone any amount of money. If it was TRULY an oops litter, she needs to take them to the vet, get them wormed and checked out. With a couple of visits to the vet plus feeding the pups for a couple of weeks after they are weened, I could see charging a small fee to get the money back and get her dogs fixed. Anything beyond those costs leads me to believe it is not an oops litter and I would not support that.

Old 04-23-2014, 05:43 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merciel View Post
No, it's not at all the same thing.

But please do not support ignorance and greed by buying from someone who is not even trying to produce good, sound, healthy dogs.
I understand your concern. I agree with everything you are saying. I have broadened my search and have found nothing. I do not know why, I haven't even been given the opportunity to adopt one. I could understand if I wasn't meeting the requirements for being a good person to adopt but that is not the case. I own my own home in a good area with a nice back yard. We are responsible dog owners and have always been.

I am willing to do this as my last resort if everything checks out fine for me. If I get there and I see horrible conditions for the dogs then I am walking away. If I find out that she actually is a backyard breeder then I am walking away. I will report her to animal control as well. But if I see that she loves her dogs and takes great care of them then I don't really see much of a problem.

There may be better availability of dogs in your area but I am not finding any here. I will not spend 2-4 thousand dollars on a dog, that is not an option for me regardless of how amazing this dog can possibly be. My absolute first choice is to adopt, and I am still actively searching. I have a preference and I am searching for the dog that I want. I can easily go to a shelter and fall in love with many dogs but I want a specific one and I am really giving it my all trying to find one.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:46 PM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

if she had these pups on purpose - she IS a breeder...

If it was by accident, and she is placing them for $200, she is NOT making any profit on the litter IMO, I just hope she plans on getting the parents both fixed. At least you get to meet the parents, but otherwise, you are probably in a bit of a safer situation than with a shelter dog.....

Dogs not showing signs of having hip or elbow problems means nothing....dogs will still radiograph and rate dysplastic without visible symptoms and those dogs should NOT be bred because their pups are at a higher risk than pups from OFA certified parents.

Pups should be wormed at least 2x before being sent home, and should have a fecal test at the vets when they get their first set of vaccines.

At $200 you pay your money and take your chances. Not the ideal situation, but not much different than a rescue or shelter

Lee
Csabre Sch1, Hexe Sch2, SG Bengal, Komet, Kira HGH & Kougar v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia BH ~ ATB Basha Sch3 IPO3, Danger Sch1 RH SAR ~ Kougar Sch3, Kyra Sch3, Cito Sch2, Alice Sch1, Kelsey CD, Ret ~ Fenja Sch3s

wolfstraum.net
wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2014, 05:51 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master Member

Petfinder Adoptable | Dog | German Shepherd Dog | Ontario, CA | Princess
Petfinder Adoptable | Dog | German Shepherd Dog | Ontario, CA | Hannah

I found these two girls on petfinder in Ontario, CA they may not be puppies but it's always worth checking out.
AngelaA6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2014, 05:53 PM   #20 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YORCHI View Post
If I find out that she actually is a backyard breeder then I am walking away. I will report her to animal control as well. But if I see that she loves her dogs and takes great care of them then I don't really see much of a problem.
I hope you do walk away if you find out she is a BYB. Remember though, she can still be a BYB even if she takes care of the dogs and loves them. Many BYBs are families who let their dogs breed, raise them in the house, and love them. This doesn't mean they should be breeding. Health testing is super important, especially in a breed absolutely plagued by horrible diseases. Search through the forum a bit, you'll find post after post about hip dysplasia, degenerative myleopathy, lumbo-sacral disease, etc. Not to mention the countless posts about temperament problems - this is where working dogs comes into play. You might not care about titles, but a dog who can excel at a sport shows that the dog has the proper nerve to do so.

If on the other hand, as I said before, if she never intended to breed them and somehow an accident happened and they bred, then I don't see paying for vet care, food, etc as supporting unethical breeding.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.