German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Finding the Right Puppy (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/finding-right-puppy/)
-   -   "Bad" mixes? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/finding-right-puppy/439833-bad-mixes.html)

Girl_Loves_Hydraulics 04-18-2014 08:28 AM

"Bad" mixes?

So, I am still deciding on which route I want to go as far as bringing in a companion to my family (purchasing from breeder or adopting from shelter). I know that the general theory is mixed breeds tend to be healthier, but I know that is just generalization and any dog is prone to health problems regardless. But there are some mixes that give me a pause. For instance, I saw a puppy on a rescue site that was american bulldog and boxer. The poor little thing looked so awkward, and I couldn't help but think of what future problems might arise. I know there's no specific list of these are mixes to stay away from, but are there certain crossings that are not ideal? I know a friend of mine was complaining because a lot of these designer dogs people don't consider the temperament or underlying health conditions when breeding...Not that the rescues are designer dogs or anything of course.

LaRen616 04-18-2014 08:33 AM

I don't think there are any mixes that you need to stay away from.

I personally would not get a small dog mix, I would want something that is going to be at least 35 pounds when full grown. I would look for Border Collie mixes, GSD mixes, something cute, furry and of medium size. :wub:

LaRen616 04-18-2014 08:40 AM

I grew up with a female GSD/Husky and she was a great dog and absolutely gorgeous too but then I rescued a male GSD/Husky mix and although he was gorgeous he wasn't a great dog and he had several behavioral issues.

My friend has a ACD mix, she is bossy, mean and has an attitude problem. Because of her, I would not want that kind of mix.

My aunt had a Doberman/Keeshond mix and she was a great dog.

My friend had a GSD/Chow mix and he was so freaking cute but he was a watchdog and he would not hesitate to bite someone if they came over uninvited even if he knew them.

I also grew up with a Lhaso Apso/Cocker Spaniel/Poodle mix and he was the dumbest dog ever and not a very good dog.

Girl_Loves_Hydraulics 04-18-2014 09:39 AM

Yes, I am definitely looking for a GSD mix if anything, though still up in the fence because I was raised that you spay/neuter after an animal is full grown, and a lot of the rescues want you to do it within 6 months. I am going to be fostering some puppies in the next month or two, and one of the upcoming litters are GSD/BC mixes. I knew this topic was a bit of a reach, there's just some mixes that seem like a bad idea due to both breeds having a slew of health issues or temperament issues.

Thewretched 04-18-2014 09:58 AM

Pit bull mixed with jack Russell terrier, stay far far away from,

Chow mixes are 50/50, could go either way

Never afghan hounds.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

LaRen616 04-18-2014 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Girl_Loves_Hydraulics (Post 5394537)
Yes, I am definitely looking for a GSD mix if anything, though still up in the fence because I was raised that you spay/neuter after an animal is full grown, and a lot of the rescues want you to do it within 6 months. I am going to be fostering some puppies in the next month or two, and one of the upcoming litters are GSD/BC mixes. I knew this topic was a bit of a reach, there's just some mixes that seem like a bad idea due to both breeds having a slew of health issues or temperament issues.

I would be interested in the GSD/BC mixed puppies. Both breeds are incredibly smart and easy to train, should be super cute and possibly furry. :wub:

wolfy dog 04-18-2014 10:27 AM

Unless you have seen and know for sure who the parents are of this pup, it will always be a guess. In our area they have plenty of Husky and Malamute mixes but they all are wolf hybrids. Then the Bulldog, Rhodesian Ridgeback, Boxer mixes are mainly Pitbulls.
Many rescue groups and shelters leave the controversial breeds out of the mixes for marketing purposes. But if you like the dog and have temperament tested it, you have a start. The dog is who is regardless its label on the kennel.

wyoung2153 04-18-2014 10:31 AM

I don't know of BAD mixes but I know of awkward looking ones.. GSD/Jack Russel or a Basset/Golden mix.. probably super great dogs, just looked funny :) My sister has 2 BC/Pug mixes and they are um.. interesting. One is just super cute and awesome and the other is, well... isn't all there and is a brat. Lol. I had Lab/BC mixes growing up and a choc Lab/GSD mix. They were not mannered well but in general great dogs! If we trained them, they would have been amazing :)

Girl_Loves_Hydraulics 04-18-2014 10:32 AM

Well, I will know within the next month when I set up to foster my first litter. Now that I'm a homeowner, I have plenty of space to be able to do it. But if you truly are interested, I'll give a heads up on the babies once I get them :)

LaRen616 04-18-2014 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Girl_Loves_Hydraulics (Post 5394825)
Well, I will know within the next month when I set up to foster my first litter. Now that I'm a homeowner, I have plenty of space to be able to do it. But if you truly are interested, I'll give a heads up on the babies once I get them :)

Oh no, thank you but no thanks! I LOVE puppies and I would love to have another one but I am not in the market for another pet, TOO MANY CATS! LOL.

My next dog will most likely be a female Doberman but I would like to eventually adopt a BC mix later on in life. :wub:

I DO want to see pictures and here all about your adventures in fostering though! :)